The Student Room Group

Does the quality of education you recieve depend on the amount of money you have?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by natninja
How about this take on it?

But with the added catch of means tested subsidies so people from less well-off backgrounds would not have to pay for the education. Ergo, everyone has access to the same level of education regardless of income background.

Though implementing that would be highly complicated and invasive...

If you read my other posts above, I had suggested something similar. Some kind of means-tested voucher system. It would be expensive to implement and run, but it would be worth investigating whether the net cost would be less.
Original post by squallcloud
Why not bring back more non-fee paying Grammar Schools? Thereby wealth makes 0 difference to wether you get into the school or not. Works well round my area.

:eek:

Do you really believe that?!
Reply 62
Original post by Mr M
:eek:

Do you really believe that?!

Grammar schools are an imperfect system, but anecdotally, many of us who weren't rich got an amazing education.
Original post by tehforum
Grammar schools are an imperfect system, but anecdotally, many of us who weren't rich got an amazing education.

I don't have a problem with Grammars. My gasp was about "wealth making 0 difference" to your chances of getting in. I applied for a Leadership role in one a couple of years ago (unsuccessfully). At interview I was told 95% of parents had engaged the services of a private tutor for their child prior to the entrance exam.
Reply 64
Original post by redferry
This effects third parties. It effects society as a whole. Equality is the number one predictor of happiness within a country across income levels.nprivate schools increase inequality and therefore unhappiness.

Then either they should be abolished or improve state schools, not a half attempt.

- State schools are just as good as private schools.
- It's not a good idea to intervene with business ethics.
Reply 65
Original post by Mr M
I don't have a problem with Grammars. My gasp was about "wealth making 0 difference" to your chances of getting in. I applied for a Leadership role in one a couple of years ago (unsuccessfully). At interview I was told 95% of parents had engaged the services of a private tutor for their child prior to the entrance exam.

Oh, yes I see.

Even those who weren't well off at least paid for 11+ tests, and still got private tutoring!

Short term loss, long term gain.
Reply 66
Oh, yes I see.

Even those who weren't well off at least paid for 11+ tests, and still got private tutoring!

Short term loss, long term gain.

If TSR has taught me anything it's that people have radically different ideas about what well off means...

the availability of private tutors isn't going to help a family that's struggling to put some honest bread on the table AND pay it's soaring utility bills.
Reply 67
Original post by Joinedup
If TSR has taught me anything it's that people have radically different ideas about what well off means...

the availability of private tutors isn't going to help a family that's struggling to put some honest bread on the table AND pay it's soaring utility bills.

yeah obviously that's on the extreme end of the scale.

but if you have some disposable income, and your child is mildly intelligent, then tutoring is beneficial.
yeah obviously that's on the extreme end of the scale.

but if you have some disposable income, and your child is mildly intelligent, then tutoring is beneficial.

I don't think tutoring is necessary at all. Most people I knew just got a couple of packs of 11+ papers from the local newsagents and then their parents helped them through it, you hardly need a tutor to teach you the stuff.
Reply 69
I don't think tutoring is necessary at all. Most people I knew just got a couple of packs of 11+ papers from the local newsagents and then their parents helped them through it, you hardly need a tutor to teach you the stuff.

Depends on the level of support by the parents of course. And if they can grasp the material at the level needed to get into grammar school!
Reply 70

Well you could do it without a tutor... Parental assistance is going to depend on having parents with a positive attitude to education and confidence in their ability to deal with the work themselves.

50% of parents don't have the confidence to help with primary school homework

I'd expect parental attitude and ability to correlate well with income.
Reply 71
Original post by joseon
I don't think they should be banned, but I would certainly support revoking their charity status if they don't select at least 50% of their intake from dissadvantaged backgrounds.

Very, very few schools would have the required endowment that it would take to give fee support of that kind to 50% of the intake. The only option would be to dramatically raise fees for the remainder, possibly making it completely unaffordable for most. Essentially, you'd be making public school exclusive to the very rich and the very poor.
Reply 72
Original post by Clip
Very, very few schools would have the required endowment that it would take to give fee support of that kind to 50% of the intake. The only option would be to dramatically raise fees for the remainder, possibly making it completely unaffordable for most. Essentially, you'd be making public school exclusive to the very rich and the very poor.

I don't see how you have enough information to draw that conclusion. I'm not suggesting full bursaries for every applicant who's parents earn below a certain threshold, but rather a stratified fee reduction depending on overall family income.
Even taking out private schools the quality of education can depend on how well off your parents are as well- houses in the catchment area for the best state schools are usually more expensive than outside of them. And the fact that some kids who go to state schools get extra tutoring alongside school.
Reply 74
Original post by majmuh24
Discuss.

I think it blatantly does, which is extremely unfair and worst off on the not so able students who need more help and to be pushed more and simply won't get this kind of education because they don't hve the money.

If so, what do you think can be done about this to make things more fair?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That depends where you live. In the UK, it does quite significantly. In countries like Norway, not so much.
Original post by Juichiro
That depends where you live. In the UK, it does quite significantly. In countries like Norway, not so much.

Interesting. I've never heard about the systems used in these countries, could you elaborate :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
Original post by redferry
It does in most cases. And I agree it is unfair. I think private schools should be banned unless they take on a 50% intake of underprivelaged kids.

Hmm, logistically that's really difficult (how would you decide which underprivileged kids get into private school? An exam similar to grammar schools' 11+? Or a lucky draw? Would these things be 'fair'?)

but also, isn't it 'unfair' on the underprivileged who don't make it into the 50% private school intake?

Another problem - private schools might not receive enough revenue to cover their costs if 50% of their kids aren't paying fees. Then they might have to employ fewer teachers, and the quality of teaching would fall, perhaps towards the level of state schools.

I think because we're in a capitalist society, we could never really achieve fairness. If you stop people with the most money paying to educate their kids, then you kinda have to ban any buyable 'unfair' advantages, like private tuition, private healthcare, queue-jumping in theme parks, designer clothing, reputable lawyers, the list is endless... Buying advantages is ingrained in our society.

People with money buy advantages, that's just what happens in capitalism. And I don't think humans could come up with (and carry out effectively) a better system. I mean communism has lead to poverty and the control of dictators (look at North Korea).
Reply 77
Original post by jelly1000
Even taking out private schools the quality of education can depend on how well off your parents are as well- houses in the catchment area for the best state schools are usually more expensive than outside of them. And the fact that some kids who go to state schools get extra tutoring alongside school.

yep
It does, but if you have drive and motivation to succeed, you can, regardless of your family's finances. It just makes it easier if you have money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Original post by majmuh24
Interesting. I've never heard about the systems used in these countries, could you elaborate :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, UK academic achievements vary a lot depending on socio-economic background. You have schools performing poorly and you have top-performing schools like Eton, etc. The gap is huge.

In Norway, you just have a relatively uniform landscape of high performing schools. OECD education adviser Mr. Schliecher noticed that too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending