The Student Room Group

We need your help! - Mental health experiences.

TSR needs your help! We are compiling information for a new sticky about mental health and we need your help.

We would really appreciate if you could help us out with the following information:

- Your experiences with different psychiatric medications including anti depressants, mood stabilisers, antipsychotics and benzodiazepines.
- Your experiences with different therapies such as CBT and DBT.
- Your experiences of being in a psychiatric hospital.

We will quote your experiences in the sticky, but it will be totally anonymous.

We are also compiling a set frequently asked questions, and we would love it if you could tell us the questions you wish you knew the answers to when you first came across mental health problems. We will include these in the guide, once again completely anonymously, and also write an answer for them.

We will merge the information from the current depression sticky, so if you supplied information for that when it was created, your experiences will be merged into the new thread.

If you would like to help us out, you can post your experiences and questions in this thread, or PM me.

Thanks for your help :smile:

Scroll to see replies

FAQ:
Am I wasting a doctor's time if I talk to them about how I feel?
My parents/friends don't understand why I can't just "try to feel better". How do I explain this to them?

They're the main two that I've seen people ask here, and that I have wondered about myself.
Reply 2
Will add some stuff about CBT, acupuncture, herbal teas, and some other stuff later today and/or tomorrow. I hope this kinda helps?

Experience with the following medication

Propanolol (beta blockers)
10mg doses, occasional

- Used for: To ease my anxiety when trying to pass my driving test and other stressful situations, like exams or going somewhere i hadn't been to before. Recommended by my (second)driving instructor of all people, i was extremely anxious in driving lessons she said.
- Pros: It really lowered my anxiety and made me feel much more at ease.
- Side effects: Cold hands and feet, a weird numb feeling.

Citalopram
20mg daily dose for ~6 months
40mg daily dose for ~6 months

- Used for: My first medication i tried to help treat my depression.
- Pros: It helped numb my feelings, and lifted my mood a bit
- Side effects: Couldn't sleep very well for the first 2 weeks, that slowly improved in time. Was often tired, maybe due to not getting good sleep. Caused me some digestion/bowel problems too.

Sertraline/Zoloft
50mg daily dose for ~6 months
100mg daily dose for ~1 year (current)

- Used for: Citalopram wasn't doing it for me, so i decided to try a different medicine
- Pros: My mood doesn't drop as low as it used to, it helped stop my shakes/tremors. Makes my mood more stable, works better than Citalopram from my experience
- Side effects: Can make it harder to get to sleep, and it practically halves my alcohol tolerance. If i have this on an empty stomach i get terrible acid reflux and stomach pains. Taking it just before doing something that puts me on edge seems to make my panic symptoms worse.
Original post by Anonymous
FAQ:
Am I wasting a doctor's time if I talk to them about how I feel?
My parents/friends don't understand why I can't just "try to feel better". How do I explain this to them?

They're the main two that I've seen people ask here, and that I have wondered about myself.

Thank you, I will add both of those in :smile:

Original post by Meaty_man
Will add some stuff about CBT, acupuncture, herbal teas, and some other stuff later today and/or tomorrow. I hope this kinda helps?

10mg doses, occasional

- Used for: To ease my anxiety when trying to pass my driving test and other stressful situations, like exams or going somewhere i hadn't been to before. Recommended by my (second)driving instructor of all people, i was extremely anxious in driving lessons she said.
- Pros: It really lowered my anxiety and made me feel much more at ease.
- Side effects: Cold hands and feet, a weird numb feeling.

Citalopram
20mg daily dose for ~6 months
40mg daily dose for ~6 months

- Used for: My first medication i tried to help treat my depression.
- Pros: It helped numb my feelings, and lifted my mood a bit
- Side effects: Couldn't sleep very well for the first 2 weeks, that slowly improved in time. Was often tired, maybe due to not getting good sleep. Caused me some digestion/bowel problems too.

Sertraline/Zoloft
50mg daily dose for ~6 months
100mg daily dose for ~1 year (current)

- Used for: Citalopram wasn't doing it for me, so i decided to try a different medicine
- Pros: My mood doesn't drop as low as it used to, it helped stop my shakes/tremors. Makes my mood more stable, works better than Citalopram from my experience
- Side effects: Can make it harder to get to sleep, and it practically halves my alcohol tolerance. If i have this on an empty stomach i get terrible acid reflux and stomach pains. Taking it just before doing something that puts me on edge seems to make my panic symptoms worse.

That's very helpful, thank you :smile:
I'll try to write something about my experiences of CBT and being in hospital but for now here's some info about recent drugs I've taken. Hope this is what you're after. :smile:

Antidepressants

Mirtazapine (Remeron)
45mg/day
Used for: depression

Low doses of this drug generally are pretty sedating but the effect wears off at higher doses. It can also make people very hungry, thankfully that effect has worn off for me by now. Since being on it I've suffered from bruxism (night time teeth grinding) but my psychiatrist doesn't know if it's caused by the mirtazapine. On the plus side my depression has lifted and I put this down to the mirtazapine. I don't get any side effects from it other than the bruxsm so it's a pretty good drug for me. My depression hasn't returned whilst I've continued taking it. Withdrawal symptoms include severe nausea and mild headaches.

Antipsychotics

Quetiapine (Seroquel)
800mg/day for ~8 months
Used for: schizoaffective disorder

Worked pretty well to quieten auditory hallucinations but gradually stopped being as effective so I had to try something else. Really sedating, I would take it at night and a half hour later I'd be out like a light. Quetiapine had some impact on my mental abilities, it made it harder to think things through but this was kind of useful at the time as I spent a lot of time thinking things which would turn out bad. I gained a little weight but nothing too noticeable.

Haloperidol (Haldol)
40mg/day for ~5 months

Has worked very well to quieten hallucinations and dispel delusions. But I've also experienced a lot of side effects. There's definitely a fair amount of mental dulling, I'm not as sharp as I used to be. It also made my hands shake and I was drooling at night. I find it difficult to type because my fingers aren't as accurate as they should be. I also got horrible feelings in my legs when trying to sleep, it was like an AC current was passing up and down them. I take an anticholinergic drug for the side effects and that works well. I haven’t gained any weight on Haldol which is nice. And despite all the side effects, it’s really helped me so I have no regrets about taking it.

Anticholinergics

Benztropine (cogentin)

4mg/day for ~2 months
Used for: side effects from antipsychotics

Did a very good job of stopping the movement problems which can occur as a side effect of antipsychotics. On the minus side it gave me an incredibly dry mouth which still hasn't gone away in 2months. No other side effects that I've noticed. Carrying a bottle of water everywhere is less annoying than the shaking and odd movement sensations.

Anxiety drugs

Diazepam (valium)
10mg prn
Used for anxiety

Diazepam is really good at stopping feelings of anxiety. I used to be terrified of flying and would throw up at the airport I'd get so scared but now it's completely under control with diazepam. I get scared about parties and sports games but again this drug completely lifts my anxious thoughts and feelings. It can also be helpful for getting to sleep when paranoid thoughts are keeping me awake. Highly addictive so you have to be careful with it. I've been using it a couple of years as needed and haven't got addicted as long as you're sensible it's a pretty safe drug.

As for questions, I see this one a lot on here:
If I tell a doctor I'm experiencing suicidal thoughts will he section me? With the answer being no, you have to have a plan, a time, the materials needed etc it basically has to be a very real imminent danger of killing yourself.

Another useful couple:
How long do I have to take medication for?
Are antidepressants addictive?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Problem: bipolar (or at least that is what they say)

Meds:

From memory, I have taken the following in various combinations before although this may be incomplete:

Antipsychotics/mood stabilisers - olanzipine, risperidone, quetiapine, haloperidol

Anticonvulsants - gabapentin, carbamazepine

Antidepressants - citalopram, fluoxetine, sertraline, mirtazipine, amitriptyline, venlafaxine, paroxetine

Anti-anxiety/agitation - diazepam, temazepam, lorezepam, propananol

Sleepers - above plus zopiclone, zolpidem, nitrazepam, promethazine

None of it has ever really worked although some of it has made me worse. Perhaps some have 'worked' from the point of view of others in that they have calmed me or reduced me to a quiet lifeless wreck who can't think and doesn't look like he could possibly bother anyone but they haven't helped me personally.

Hospital:

Limited experience here. I have been picked up by police a couple of times and put in a 136 suite but always convinced them to let me go in the end.

First time I was on a ward was after a suicide attempt and I entered via a and e. Only spent a night and was able to discharge myself the next day.

The second and more substantial experience is on going. I was brought in by the police coming up to four weeks ago. Not very impressed to be honest. The first week or so was a blur and they gave me stuff to calm me down but apart from that left to rot apart from seeing a doctor once a week for 20 minutes or so but the doctor doesn't tell me anything or share thoughts on diagnosis, symptoms, meds or my subjective experience so I am a bit confused why I am even brought in. Outside of that you just sit there and wait for time to pass whilst staff look at you and make notes. No activities, no help for mental distress and nobody to talk to except other patients. At points this has helped but the population is very transient and people come and go. At points, it seems to be only the extremely ill who can't really communicate or aggressive and violent people who I choose not to communicate with.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Sabertooth
I'll try to write something about my experiences of CBT and being in hospital but for now here's some info about recent drugs I've taken. Hope this is what you're after. :smile:

Antidepressants

Mirtazapine (Remeron)
45mg/day
Used for: depression

Low doses of this drug generally are pretty sedating but the effect wears off at higher doses. It can also make people very hungry, thankfully that effect has worn off for me by now. Since being on it I've suffered from bruxism (night time teeth grinding) but my psychiatrist doesn't know if it's caused by the mirtazapine. On the plus side my depression has lifted and I put this down to the mirtazapine. I don't get any side effects from it other than the bruxsm so it's a pretty good drug for me. My depression hasn't returned whilst I've continued taking it. Withdrawal symptoms include severe nausea and mild headaches.

Antipsychotics

Quetiapine (Seroquel)
800mg/day for ~8 months

Worked pretty well to quieten auditory hallucinations but gradually stopped being as effective so I had to try something else. Really sedating, I would take it at night and a half hour later I'd be out like a light. Quetiapine had some impact on my mental abilities, it made it harder to think things through but this was kind of useful at the time as I spent a lot of time thinking things which would turn out bad. I gained a little weight but nothing too noticeable.

Haloperidol (Haldol)
40mg/day for ~5 months

Has worked very well to quieten hallucinations and dispel delusions. But I've also experienced a lot of side effects. There's definitely a fair amount of mental dulling, I'm not as sharp as I used to be. It also made my hands shake and I was drooling at night. I find it difficult to type because my fingers aren't as accurate as they should be. I also got horrible feelings in my legs when trying to sleep, it was like an AC current was passing up and down them. I take an anticholinergic drug for the side effects and that works well. I haven’t gained any weight on Haldol which is nice. And despite all the side effects, it’s really helped me so I have no regrets about taking it.

Anticholinergics

Benztropine (cogentin)

4mg/day for ~2 months
Used for: side effects from antipsychotics

Did a very good job of stopping the movement problems which can occur as a side effect of antipsychotics. On the minus side it gave me an incredibly dry mouth which still hasn't gone away in 2months. No other side effects that I've noticed. Carrying a bottle of water everywhere is less annoying than the shaking and odd movement sensations.

Anxiety drugs

Diazepam (valium)
10mg prn
Used for anxiety

Diazepam is really good at stopping feelings of anxiety. I used to be terrified of flying and would throw up at the airport I'd get so scared but now it's completely under control with diazepam. I get scared about parties and sports games but again this drug completely lifts my anxious thoughts and feelings. It can also be helpful for getting to sleep when paranoid thoughts are keeping me awake. Highly addictive so you have to be careful with it. I've been using it a couple of years as needed and haven't got addicted as long as you're sensible it's a pretty safe drug.

As for questions, I see this one a lot on here:
If I tell a doctor I'm experiencing suicidal thoughts will he section me? With the answer being no, you have to have a plan, a time, the materials needed etc it basically has to be a very real imminent danger of killing yourself.

Another useful couple:
How long do I have to take medication for?
Are antidepressants addictive?

Thanks a lot that's all really helpful :smile:

Original post by Jay84
Problem: bipolar (or at least that is what they say)

Meds:

From memory, I have taken the following in various combinations before although this may be incomplete:

Antipsychotics/mood stabilisers - olanzipine, risperidone, quetiapine, haloperidol

Anticonvulsants - gabapentin, carbamazepine

Antidepressants - citalopram, fluoxetine, sertraline, mirtazipine, amitriptyline, venlafaxine, paroxetine

Anti-anxiety/agitation - diazepam, temazepam, lorezepam, propananol

Sleepers - above plus zopiclone, zolpidem, nitrazepam, promethazine

None of it has ever really worked although some of it has made me worse. Perhaps some have 'worked' from the point of view of others in that they have calmed me or reduced me to a quiet lifeless wreck who can't think and doesn't look like he could possibly bother anyone but they haven't helped me personally.

Hospital:

Limited experience here. I have been picked up by police a couple of times and put in a 136 suite but always convinced them to let me go in the end.

First time I was on a ward was after a suicide attempt and I entered via a and e. Only spent a night and was able to discharge myself the next day.

The second and more substantial experience is on going. I was brought in by the police coming up to four weeks ago. Not very impressed to be honest. The first week or so was a blur and they gave me stuff to calm me down but apart from that left to rot apart from seeing a doctor once a week for 20 minutes or so but the doctor doesn't tell me anything or share thoughts on diagnosis, symptoms, meds or my subjective experience so I am a bit confused why I am even brought in. Outside of that you just sit there and wait for time to pass whilst staff look at you and make notes. No activities, no help for mental distress and nobody to talk to except other patients. At points this has helped but the population is very transient and people come and go. At points, it seems to be only the extremely ill who can't really communicate or aggressive and violent people who I choose not to communicate with.

Thanks for your input :smile:
Reply 7
FAQ ideas regarding CBT

What is CBT? (cognitive behavioral therapy)
CBT is aimed at helping you to help yourself, by helping you change your thought patterns, understanding your feelings, emotions and physical reactions to your problems. The things you learn from this you can use in your own time.

What can i expect from my first CBT session?
First your therapist needs some information about you before they can really help. They'll probably ask about your history, where you are now, and what you think the problems are. After that your therapist can start to help :smile:

Do i need to tell my therapist everything?
Everything that could be linked to causing you problems. As long as you are open to your therapist, you won't have any issues :smile: Remember that these people are professionals, this is their job; tell them as much as you can, because they will not judge you, they are only there to help. The less you tell them, the less they can help you.

How long will i be with my therapist?

From my experience they tend to only keep you on for a few months, but they seem quite happy to have you stay working with them if you feel you need it.

I feel exhausted or stressed after a session, is this normal?
Throughout sessions you will be consciously "battling" with your own mind, trying to change deeply ingrained thoughts and thought patterns. This can be tiring and stressful, but that's the nature of the recovery process i believe, it isn't sunshine and rainbows :tongue:

What specifically will i get/learn from CBT?
An understanding of phsyical symptoms caused by mental issues. For example, shallow beathing, aches and pains, lightheadedness, and a sick stomache are all symptoms you can feel just from being anxious or stressed.

You will also learn a number of exercises that can help you relax and de-stress, these often focusing on breathing and imagining negative energy leaving your body. That may sound silly, but it does work.

How and why the thoughts causing you these problems are illogical, and how you can disprove them. Normally involving your therapist talking with you and trying to reason and rationalize, proving to you that some of these thoughts have no real evidence, and are actually fabricated by you. That can be very hard to accept all of a sudden, but again, part of the recovery process(imo).
FAQ ideas regarding CBT

What is CBT? (cognitive behavioral therapy)
CBT is aimed at helping you to help yourself, by helping you change your thought patterns, understanding your feelings, emotions and physical reactions to your problems. The things you learn from this you can use in your own time.

What can i expect from my first CBT session?
First your therapist needs some information about you before they can really help. They'll probably ask about your history, where you are now, and what you think the problems are. After that your therapist can start to help :smile:

Do i need to tell my therapist everything?
Everything that could be linked to causing you problems. As long as you are open to your therapist, you won't have any issues :smile: Remember that these people are professionals, this is their job; tell them as much as you can, because they will not judge you, they are only there to help. The less you tell them, the less they can help you.

How long will i be with my therapist?

From my experience they tend to only keep you on for a few months, but they seem quite happy to have you stay working with them if you feel you need it.

I feel exhausted or stressed after a session, is this normal?
Throughout sessions you will be consciously "battling" with your own mind, trying to change deeply ingrained thoughts and thought patterns. This can be tiring and stressful, but that's the nature of the recovery process i believe, it isn't sunshine and rainbows :tongue:

What specifically will i get/learn from CBT?
An understanding of phsyical symptoms caused by mental issues. For example, shallow beathing, aches and pains, lightheadedness, and a sick stomache are all symptoms you can feel just from being anxious or stressed.

You will also learn a number of exercises that can help you relax and de-stress, these often focusing on breathing and imagining negative energy leaving your body. That may sound silly, but it does work.

How and why the thoughts causing you these problems are illogical, and how you can disprove them. Normally involving your therapist talking with you and trying to reason and rationalize, proving to you that some of these thoughts have no real evidence, and are actually fabricated by you. That can be very hard to accept all of a sudden, but again, part of the recovery process(imo).

This is amazing! Thank you! :biggrin:
Questions I would want answered:
- How does patient confidentiality work?
-What is normal teenage behaviour and what isn't?
-How to cope during a depressive relapse.
-What are some great websites to help people in an unfortunate mental health position?

I am diagnosed with Major Depression and I have had it for 3 years. I am now 18. I have always wanted to know about how I would contact someone about my anxiety I get. I think it is social anxiety as I get panic attacks when I am in public or in situations with lots of people. I had a councillor for 7 months and I was signed off in November 2013.
Hi there,

I suffer with Anxiety and I am currently on 40mg of Fluoxetine a day. I've suffered with Anxiety for years, however it was only a handful of months ago that I found out what the problem was and what I could do to stop it's impact.
It does help reduce my anxiety but it doesn't completely stop it.
I have noticed recently that I have no motivation to do anything and I'm quite often tired to the point where I can't do the whole of my longest day at College. I also have to take my tablets one after the other or else I suffer the worst heartburn! :frown:

CBT worked for me as a temporary measure, however I found it hard to apply the things that I'd learn't inside my session.

If possible, in the FAQ would it be worth giving advice on how to cope with friends/family members/significant others who suffer with any form of mental illness?

I hope this is all useful in some way to you :smile:
Reply 11

10mg doses, ages ago!

- Used for: To ease my anxiety as I was not coping well with it, coupled with an unknown bout of depression I was really struggling at the time.
- Pros: It really helped calm my whole body down as I had terrible panic attacks and anxiety at the time.

Sertraline/Zoloft
50mg daily dose for ~9 months - slowly coming off them now!

- Pros: It started to work within about 5 weeks as the Doctor told me, and it made such a difference I felt like myself again.
- Side effects: But really reduces my alcohol tolerance, I used to get tipsy/drunk etc but instead I have the smallest of drinks and virtually fall asleep on people!

But this does affect people in different ways so it means that some people get every side effect whereas loads of us get virtually none. FAQ: Should I try medication or not? / Try therapy? / What sort of therapy will suit me? / I myself had a lot of questions going round in my head.
Original post by yurisan78
But this does affect people in different ways so it means that some people get every side effect whereas loads of us get virtually none. FAQ: Should I try medication or not? / Try therapy? / What sort of therapy will suit me? / I myself had a lot of questions going round in my head.

Yes, medication will affect people differently, but there are symptoms that are a lot more common than others. You can't be 100% sure how it will affect you, but you can be prepared for the most likely scenarios. Perhaps we should list symptoms from common to rare?

I honestly believe that when it comes to fighting anxiety and depression, you should try anything you can within reason. The last thing you want is a few years down the line to find something that you could of been using a lot earlier, something that would of already made a big impact.

I am currently still recovering, but along my "journey" i've found that one thing alone is simply not enough. Medication alone? Nope. Therapy on its own? Probably not either. Both? A good start, but why stop there?

There are so many things that can help, and just trying a lot of different things will naturally help your motivation, which in turn will help you recover (in theory).
Reply 13
Exactly my thoughts, I was studying Psychology at the time so already knew that I'd stand more of a chance of quicker/better recovery if I tried both therapy AND medication, the meds help in the short term to start with until you feel more able to partake in therapy so they compliment each other really. And yes, we should make a common/rare list, it'd be useful for people and hopefully make the symptoms less daunting. Would you like to do the honours of starting? Exactly my thoughts, I was studying Psychology at the time so already knew that I'd stand more of a chance of quicker/better recovery if I tried both therapy AND medication, the meds help in the short term to start with until you feel more able to partake in therapy so they compliment each other really.
Beta-Blockers
Used for: Anxiety

Didn't help me at all, experienced side-effects from them. If anything they heightened my anxiety because they weren't helping.

Diazepam
Used for: meant to be for Anxiety/Panic Attacks, ended up being used for Insomnia as sleeping tablets

The diazepam was originally meant to help my anxiety/panic attacks during exam situations (A Levels are nasty things) but even half a tablet made me drowsy and I could barely stay awake. They were then used for my insomnia to help me sleep (I did talk to my doctor about this and she said it was fine to use) and they worked brilliantly but like any medication it only treated it for the short period of time taking it, it didn't address the underlying problems. The minute I stopped taking them I went right back to not sleeping.

Sertraline
Used for: Depression

I was originally on 50mg but was increased to 100mg. The sertraline helped with my anxiety slightly and lifted the symptoms of depression so I got my appetite back slightly and my sleeping went from 2 hours a night to around 4 hours a night. However, I have since come off sertraline as my depression has improved due to change of situation rather then the medication. The medication helped slightly but doesn't address the underlying problem.

I have had counselling and am awaiting CBT. The counselling helped me greatly as I have problems with anxiety and overthinking/spiralling thought processes; I would imagine the worst possible scenario to something and it would worry me for weeks about it happening. It taught me to rationalise my thought processes. I do still have problems with overthinking but I have learnt how to stop it wrecking my whole week (although it can still wreck my day).

As for the panic attacks, I am still awaiting CBT (waiting since May) due to the service being in utter shambles.
Experience of psychiatric hospitals

Not been in one. Yet... *touches wood*

Experience of medications

Citalopram -
horrible side effects (nausea, headaches, feeling weak) but then the world was all blue skies, green hills and bunny rabbits for quite a while. Ultimately not the right med for me.

Fluoxetine (Prozac) -
got me out of bed but stopped working just before my Finals at uni :colonhash: :facepalm: :emo:

Mirtazapine -
Prescribed to help with sleeping problems. Turned me into somewhat of a zombie.

Sertraline -
The best one by far *for me personally, not necessarily for others!*

Venlafaxine -
Horrid side effects when discontinued. Whilst on it, I ate like there was no tomorrow :s-smilie:

Risperidone - Gave me a heart problem! :erm:

Aripiprazole - Stabilised mood and reduced psychosis - got me out of a major psychotic episode and helped stabilise me for the next few years.

Experience of therapies

Cognitive behavioural therapy - 9 months intensive on the NHS with a trainee psychologist. Challenging and at times painful, but ultimately very fruitful, as it taught me that I don't have to accept what the voices say and can talk back to them.
Reply 16
Hello, ive suffered with OCD and anxiety for a substantial time. i have been on a medication called setralin (abbrieviated name). My condition has affected much in my life, particularly going about my daily routines. At the start i was very sceptical about recieving help from proffesionals as i like to solve problems by myself! Soon i came to realise that its not something which i can just control at the click of a finger. Eventually i went to see a psychiatrist & therapist who practised methods of CBT with me, which i think if your religious when applying these methods they could work for you. Personally, i dont think CBT was my gateway into helping my OCD and anxiety so i therefore iam looking into alternative methods such as hypnosis etc. i hope this helps. Your not alone !! I know you hear the generic 'it will get better' ... but it will, keep at it!
MEDS:

-Antispychotics

1) Risperidone (aka Risperdal)

Side effects:
(a) I was so susceptible to heat/cold when on this! :eek: It was unbelievable- I was always either freezing cold or boiling hot.
(b)Drooling- especially at night (oh the joys :nothing: ) Was not fun. :tongue: For about six/seven months I woke up with a soggy pillow. :colondollar:
(c)Shaking/tremor. Especially in my hands but it could be all over my body. This didn't wear off for me.
(d)Tic/twitching. Especially in my mouth and toungue but also in my legs (which was really uncomfortable in bed :unimpressed:. ) It got progressively worse and was really, really noticeable.
(e)Sedation- on the low doses I was fine but on the high doses I was really out of it. :s-smilie:
(f) Mental dulling- on the low doses I didn't notice anything but on the high doses I couldn't function. Couldn't process information, read more than a couple of sentences or carry out tasks that required any thought.

2) Quetiapine (aka seroquel)

Side effects:
(a) Increaced suicidal thoughts/feelings. It was REALLY bad when I first started taking it. It did get slightly better as time went on, but it was still awful. This didn't go away and was the reason I was taken off it!
b)Increaced appetite- only really for the first four to six weeks of taking it, and it was quite mild.
(c)Tic/twitching. Especially in my mouth and toungue.
(d)Sedation. Again on the low doses I was fine but on the high doses I was really out of it.
(e) Mental dulling- Same as on risperidone.

3) Olanzapine (aka zyprexia)

Side effects:

(a)Increaced appetite- SO MUCH eating was done. :colondollar: It was past the point of funny- for the first couple of weeks I ate anything and everything. I was so hungry. But this did wear off. :smile:
(b)Sedation. Again on the low doses I was fine but on the high doses I was really out of it.
(c) Mental dulling- Same as on risperidone and quetiapine.
(d)Dry mouth/increased thirst- I'm thirsty all the time on it.

-Antidepressants

1) Fluoxetine (aka Prozac, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra)
- didn't make any difference to my mood at 20mg or 40mg but I noticed a difference at 60mg. :smile:
Side Effects:
(a) Nausea- for the first eight weeks I felt constantly seasick. :pain: It felt like the floor was moving up and down and it made me physically sick more than once. This did wear off though.
(b) Weird dreams. This wore off in a few weeks.

2)Mirtazapine (aka Remeron)
- Lifed my mood so much, especially at 45mg. This drug had the most (positive) effect on me out of all the ones I've taken. :smile:
Side Effects:
(a) Increased suicidal thoughts/feelings- not so bad and wore off after a few weeks
(b) Headaches- quite frequent but paracetamol/ibuprofin sorts them out. :smile:
(c) Makes me very sleepy when I take it but that isn't a problem. It just means I take it at night.

-Other meds used for MH reasons

Clonazepam:

Oooh fun times. :biggrin: Prescribed for extreme anxiety when I first went into hospital. They had me on WAY to high a dosage (was taking it about six times a day!) and it was more and more sedating to the point where I didn't know where I was/ who I was/ who any of the other patients were/ who any of the doctors or nurses were/what day, month or year it was. I also couldnt keep my eyes open and was slurring my speech. :colondollar: They had to take me off it. :tongue: However, it was GREAT for the anxiety. :biggrin: But not a long term fix. Just have it as PRN now. :smile:

Promethazine:

Used as PRN. Makes me really, really drowsy and sleepy. Great for when I'm really distressed/anxious

Zopiclone:

Sleeping tablet. Did nothing for me at a low or high dosage, but apparently it doesn't for ~15% of people.

Melatonin (circadin)

For sleep. Been on it twice, at various dosages and it does absolutely nothing for me.

Tamazepam

Made me very sleepy (which it was supposed to!) but made me groggy in the morning .

THERAPIES

CBT:

Still going through this :smile: Have found it very, very useful. It's hard work, and painful at times but if you stick with it and really work hard at in (in my experience!) it's totally worth it. Highlights the way you think about things and shows you healthier alternatives.

DBT:

Did not find it useful at all. Didn't like the sessions, didn't like what they were saying and didn't like the therapists views on life in general. It felt (not just to me, but to others in the group as well) that the therapist was in-validating everything we said and felt. (To be fair to DBT-it's useful to some people. I think the non-success of the sessions I attended was more down to the therapist running it than the actual content of the course! :smile: )

Trauma Therapy:

It's very very painful, and very very hard. :frown: Still going through this and it challenges me so much. Best done with the same person each time, and in the same room (if at all possible).

WHAT ITS LIKE IN HOSPITAL

***NOTE: I can only describe an adolescent unit- I've never been in an adult ward! ***

It's nowhere near as scary as it at first seems. :smile: :hugs: I promise you that much!

When you first go in, you should have an admission appointment where there is a doctor and a nurse present and you will discuss with them your illness, why you think you're there, if there's any history of mental illness in the family etc (if you've ever been to a CAMHS appointment- it's like the questions they ask you on your first appointment!). Your parents can be present with you while this happens if you want. :smile: Then the doctor will give you a quick once over (pulse, reflexes etc. ) and you may have to give a blood/urine sample. Don't worry though- they do it to everyone who comes in! :smile: Then (most likely) you'll be shown to your room. A member of staff will go through your stuff (and they check EVERYWHERE) and make sure you haven't got anything you could hurt yourself/others with.

There will be around six to ten patients on each ward and there will be two/three/four wards (for example, the hospital I'm in has three wards of eight patients). You should have your own bedroom (very basic- bed, wardrobe, chair, drawers) and you're allowed to personalise. You can bring in pictures, posters, blankets (I have a brilliant furry one :biggrin: ) and teddies/keepsakes. You might have your own bathroom (with a shower, a sink and a toilet). There may or may not be a communal bathroom depending on what ward/unit you're in. There will most likely be a communal sitting area with a TV/board games/arts and crafts and chairs (comfy ones where I am!) to sit in. There will also be a communal dining area where everyone eats (sometimes people with eating disorders can sit with meals in a seperate room if it's easier for them or if they're doing meal time management or the likes, but generally people are encouraged to eat in the dining room. :smile: ). You get a choice of food (think school dinners! :smile: ), but you are expected to eat at every meal. (sometimes if you're on an eating plan you dont get a choice of what you eat, but you are allowed a couple of dislikes (it all gets discussed with the dietician)).

There will be some sort of school/college you can (and must if you're under 16!) attend depending on if you're well enough. This tends to be very small, with a lot of one on one time with the teacher. :smile: You also (in my experience) get lots of other non-acedemic classes like teambuilding, arts and crafts and gardening/outdoor ed.

There tends to be lots of groups running in the evenings, organised either by the ward staff or by the Occupational Therapists. Examples of groups that run at the unit I'm in were girls group, boys group, baking group, art group, horseriding group, lunch club, knitting group, swimming group and communal meal. There are also groups on during the day, like DBT group, relaxation group and post-lunch support group (for patients with eating disorders).

While in the unit, you will work with nurses, psychiatrists and support workers, and you could also work with social workers, speech and language therapists, occupational therapists, psychologists and dieticians. You should have a main nurse (we call it a named nurse) who is kind of in charge of your care. They check in with you regularly and help you with any specific issues you have (although you can tell any member of staff anything :smile: ).

Hospital can be VERY boring- especially if you're in on the weekends (most people are when you're first addmitted). :s-smilie: Seriously- take your knitting! :tongue: Sometimes, activities and trips out are organised for the weekends/school holidays. Things like going to tescos/ the park/ swimming/ the cinema. But it really depends where you are/ what staff are on/ how many staff are on/ what money there is/ how unwell you are. In about seven months, I've been out with them once. :tongue:

Every so often you have things called reviews (I think it's supposed to be every six weeks?). This is where all the professionals involved in your care come together to discuss your case and put forward what they think the next steps should be. Usually, your school, your CAMHS team in the community, your parents and you are also invited, but may not be present for the whole discussion.

In the unit I'm in, there's no internet access or mobile phones with internet/cameras. They do allow phones without this though, and they actually have a couple of spare ones for people to put their sims into (those with microsims need an adaptor!). There is also a ward phone (landline) you can use for free to call home/friends etc.

FAQ

Q) I've been prescribed x, do I have to take it?
A) No. Doctors can only reccomend and give advice about treatments. You can only be forced to take medication/ undergo treatment if you are detained under the mental health act.

Q)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Anti psychotics :
Risperidone ( was on this for about 2 months ) -
For myself, it hardly helped with the voices/seeing things/delusions. It just didn't help, it made me sleep better though!
Side effects : (TMI) it made milk produce from my nipples (this happens to a large number of people
It caused me to not be able to go to toilet.
I had a slight tic in my eye that lasted for a day or so

Olanzapine (was on this for a year) - Olanzapine is usually used as a temp drug because of the side effects/sedating effects so usually you're on it for about 12 weeks max (what I was told).
It was an excellent sedater! I was asleep within 20 mins of taking it at night, I was on a high(ish) dose of 10mg twice a day, however, I did nap nearly every day for about an hour or two if i could. It helped with the voices/seeing things during the day, but at night it was better but still hard - but like I said, it knocks you out so you fall asleep before you get too scared.
Side effects: THE WEIGHT GAIN. I gained nearly 2 stone in one year of taking it, I wasn't eating alot either - the same as my partner and she's stayed the same. It makes you put on weight like no ones business.

That was the only side effect I had with my Anti- psychotics, I've never experienced the mental dulling sensation people do, I was the same as I am when I'm not in an episode - it was really normal tbh. (Every medication is different for different people though!)

Anti-depressants -
Citalopram (took this for about 2 months) - I only took this for 2 months or so, I didn't think I needed it as I was able to help my external factors which helped the depression. The drug was fine, no side effects. I can't actually say whether it helped or not because at the same time I was getting rid of the source of my depression so.

CBT - (first time)
I was in CBT for self harm and anger issues, it helped - I was able to understand what to do when I was angry and calm down. I had a fantastic psychologist who was lovely so that really helped! It teaches you methods/coping strategies to have. ABC approach I think it was.

CBT - (second time)
this time it was for psychosis - with the same psychologist (she really was lovely) and she taught me how many people actually experienced hearing things and that it wasn't crazy. We worked together to find coping strategies that worked for me. How to make sure I don't cause an episode, and what to do if I have one. It was really good - and helped if you're struggling to cope with the episodes.

Psychotherapy-
Note: psychotherapy isn't usually on the NHS, but it's used in rare circumstances in CAMHS. I was in psychotherapy for around 9-10 months (as I turned 18 so we had to stop). it was VERY hard. it brought up memories I repressed for years and years, and made everything out in the open. You were open to your sub conscience, which was scary. this worked by saying everything that came to mind, you talked about things you didn't even realise yourself. So it is very hard, however, I was doing it to find the 'root' of my psychosis, which helped because it discovered how the things I see/believe come from (presumably). It's very intense though, I went twice a week (some people go three times) you talk about alot of things, you might not even think about yourself. It does work to help you understand your illness, but in my experience, it didn't help with the actual psychosis, only to understand (sorta) why I experience to certain things I do.

Hospital -
I was in an adolescent hospital as I was 17 at the time, It was a building separate from the main hospital so it wasn't a ward as such. I was on a mixed ward of about 8-10 rooms. I had my own room where I had a bed, wardrobes, desk, bed side table and my own bathroom (consisting of a toilet and a shower) it was nice enough.
the ward itself, had a T.V room, a games room, a chill out room, a computer space and an arts and craft room. The nursing desk was in the center, there was also a room for visitors and nurses/doctors to meet with you in there.
There was a outside space which had a football court and a basketball court.
You were made to have a blood test and a pee test, ECG, physical check just to see how you were.
We had a school dinner type system where we went into the 'dining' place and chose out of around 3 options - there was always nurses/assistants in there with you watching everyone eat, there was also another room for supervised eating. you had a choice of dessert if you wanted it.

You were woken up in the morning for breakfast (Around 7) then after that you had some chill out time, then you HAD to go to school and learn things (even if you're not at college/in college), there was other activities like music and arts. You then had a session with whomever you were seeing that day (psychologists, nurse, doctor etc) then you were free to do whatever. Vistors were 3-8 on the week days and 11 - 8 on the weekends (most people went home then though). Dinner then bed really. It was very boring but I read alot and revised (as I had my A level exams in a month or so during this time)
In my experience, I was taken off the drugs I was on (an anti psychotic) to see myself in a 'true' form. I had a very bad time, I had episodes every night and wouldn't sleep. Saying this, the nurses were fantastic! they check on your every hour or so, and there's always someone to talk too. When I had episodes, they'd stay with me for hours, just making sure I wasn't doing anything stupid. It was nice to have such supportive staff.
We wasn't allowed any phones at all. This was very hard, however in some cases they'd allow you to sit on your own in a specific room to listen to music.

I, myself, didn't enjoy/like my experience there at all - it didn't help directly. However, I did see how it can benefit people, and I found myself realising - I don't want to be here. I want to be better, I don't want to kill myself or harm myself. I can get better and carry on in a 'normal life' so yeah it's really good in making you want to recover.
The actual place is very safe, in which there is hardly any ways to hurt yourself - the shower/taps is a timed ones where it turns off and is a certain temperature. The knobs on the door are specially shaped so it's hard to hurt yourself on them. They search your stuff (not too intrusive) to make sure you don't have anything to hurt anyone. Everyone there wants you to get better, and survive. It's quite nice atmosphere (in a sense).

That's all I can really think of.

EDIT: forgot the FAQ's (in terms of psychosis/ seeing/hearing things)

Am I crazy for hearing things?
Answer being: no, 1 in 4 people have reported hearing something no one else did at least once, and a study found 39% of the gen population have experienced regularly hearing things. It's a coping method a brain takes on when under a lot of stress.

Am I schizophrenic ?
Answer: there are so many diagnosis'/reasons for seeing/hearing/believing things - there's other disorders apart from schizophrenia (however it could be that). Sometimes, hearing/seeing/believing things isn't a psychotic illness at all but a depressive or emotional illness.

Will they section me/think I'm crazy?
Answer : no, unless you're a direct harm to yourself or others it's VERY unlikely. You'll be given a care plan and medicated in some situations. Care professionals want the best for you, they're not out to section you or think you're crazy.

Will this be forever?
Answer: no one can say for sure, it really depends. However there's a widely used statistic that 33% of people who experience these things recover and never have another episode. The other 33% may experience multiple episodes but they are under control and does not affect their lives to a large extent (in terms of school, jobs, relationships). there's been cases of people waking up (usually after having therapy for a while) and not having these experiences. Conversely, many people find the right medication and are able to cope and go on their lives and be okay. It'll be okay.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
My experience with the medication to treat my depression:

Fluoxetine/Prozac:
I was on this for roughly six years from the age of 13. The dosage had to be increase twice until it started to have a better effect on my mood.
I ended up weaning myself off of the tablets when I was 19; it was effecting my concentration and motivation quite badly (which wasn't helpful while studying at university) and because I didn't feel right in myself - I felt quite robotic emotionally; yes my mood was stable, but I didn't feel happy or sad, to be quite honest I didn't really feel much.
I also put on quite a lot of weight with this medicine, which didn't help my virtually non-existent self-esteem and I suffered from terrible stomach pains and constant migraines; which were both bad enough to land me in hospital almost every time.

Sertraline:
I was prescribed this a few months after I took myself off of the Fluoxetine, as I could feel that my symptoms were getting pretty bad again. I didn't want to go back on the previous medication, so I asked my GP if I could try a different one.
I am still on this medication and I'm fairly happy with how it's going. It's definitely less intensive than the Fluoxetine, as I still get bouts of depression now and again, but they are no where near as bad as they would have been if I wasn't taking anything. It feels more natural. My concentration and motivation have improved, but they're still not what they should normally be. The stomach pains are completely gone and my migraines have lessened, which is brilliant and I've lost quite a bit of weight after changing meds!

Experience with CBT:

I had CBT sessions weekly from the age of 13-18 through CAMHS and I found it extremely helpful. I hated the first few sessions; I was extremely paranoid, anxious and depressed; I hated leaving the house, as well as open spaces and windows. I didn't talk and didn't want to talk, but I eventually found myself letting a little out each time and came to enjoy and find relief in talking.
It's highlighted a lot of bad habits that I have for dealing with things and although it's still a slow, ongoing process, 3 years later I can say that I am getting better. Because my depression is linked to my sister's illness (a brain tumour which is very unpredictable and only gives a few years of inactivity before growing again), I doubt that I'll ever actually be completely free from my condition, but at least I'll be able to deal with it better.

Quick Reply

Latest