The Student Room Group

RE (Religious Education) should be taught by atheists only!

So during my state school indoctrination our R.E teacher was a fundamental Christian. 50 minutes of the hour involved chucking Christianity down our throats non stop! right from drug re-rehabilitation help to drawing hell

Should RE only be taught by atheists?!

As it offers the most non biased view
Hmm... I don't think it should be taught in the pupil-teacher manner at all, nor should politics.
My teacher was an actual minister and he didn't throw anything down our throats, we debated religion and everything
No, but RE teachers should be trained to teach it in an objective way, regardless of their personal beliefs.
I went to a Catholic school, so they're undoubtedly going to focus on that. However we did look at other religions (notably Islam) in quite a lot of detail, so they're not always bias.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As an atheist myself, I don't think an atheist teacher would be unbiased- far from it. You'd be trying to disillusion every religious student that entered your classroom.
Reply 6
Original post by Bill_Gates

So during my state school indoctrination our R.E teacher was a fundamental Christian. 50 minutes of the hour involved chucking Christianity down our throats non stop! right from drug re-rehabilitation help to drawing hell

Should RE only be taught by atheists?!

As it offers the most non biased view

Teaching the 5 or whatever major religions and then working out whether they are compatible with each other and then working out whether there is any proof of the specifics or general ideas that they state.

It might be for some but it's not for me. And if you haven't worked it out after all these years then, (literally), what the hell?

To me, it's less meaningful than spending your life arguing whether one songwriter is better than another. You know that both exist and they've probably contributed some sense of 'Love' to your life.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Lucy96
I went to a Catholic school, so they're undoubtedly going to focus on that. However we did look at other religions (notably Islam) in quite a lot of detail, so they're not always bias.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Atleast your Catholic school taught you a bit about Islam. My friends who went didn't know what halal meant or what it was, it was quite surprising.
No, your teacher is just ridiculous. My teacher was Jewish, she never pushed her religion on us. We even had a Nigerian nun teach us once :confused: she was just talking about Nigeria. There is also a Christian teacher, but he used to be an agnostic, never pushes his religion on his students. So, it is just your teacher and maybe a few others
Reply 9
No, I know that the atheist teacher I had try to make religion look to be a joke, when for many people it does matter. R.E teachers need to teach RE objectively regardless of their religion or lack of.
:dry: of course not OP, What makes an Atheist better at teaching than a religious person?

The school usually makes it a point that they teach a religion that is not their own, so a Christian may be obliged to teach Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Sikhism etc. To prevent them from showing bias and to teach objectively.

Obviously if there is a problem in their teaching style, then the students are always open to complain ..it's R.E, most students complain.
If they have low marks in exams then the department/school would be concerned and would want to observe the class.

Also I think it may be illegal to discriminate candidates based on religious beliefs.. When their training is geared towards teaching objectively/without bias.
(edited 10 years ago)
Nah, they shouldn't be atheists.
Original post by Qymberley
Atleast your Catholic school taught you a bit about Islam. My friends who went didn't know what halal meant or what it was, it was quite surprising.

Oh wow. My whole RE GCSE was based around Christianity and Islam, we had to address different opinions from both sides, so I learnt quite a lot from that! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending