The Student Room Group

A Level choices- Computing, Economics or Critical Thinking?

So I'm in Year 11 and have my AS choices to make. I'm confident on these four choices:
Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Chemistry

However, I'm not sure whether to do AQA Computing, AQA Economics or OCR Critical Thinking for my 5th AS level. I'll almost certainly be dropping it after AS. Any advice would be appreciated thanks :smile:!
Reply 1
You've got pretty solid subjects there! But at the end of the day, if it's what you like it's fine.
But onto answering your question, Critical thinking isn't really noticed by Universities these days. It goes better with subjects like History because it's essay based. The other two subjects computing and economics look like good subjects that go well with the rest of your subjects. Not trying to manipulate you into taking economics but I know quite a few people doing it and they really seem to like it. Not so sure about computing but overall I would say either Computing or Economics. Good luck for your A levels!
Reply 2
Computing or economics, whichever one interests you. Most unis don't consider critical thinking.
Reply 3
Original post by Cantthinkofnames
So I'm in Year 11 and have my AS choices to make. I'm confident on these four choices:
Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Chemistry

However, I'm not sure whether to do AQA Computing, AQA Economics or OCR Critical Thinking for my 5th AS level. I'll almost certainly be dropping it after AS. Any advice would be appreciated thanks :smile:!

Critical thinking is a waste of time tbh because most universities don't look at it If you insist on taking a 5th AS Level I'd go for Economics but remember that its better to get AAAA than BBBBB because you've spread yourself too thin and it won't give you an advantage when it comes to university admissions.
Reply 4
Woah, 5 AS is gonna be a lot of hard work. I would say go for Economics, as Critical Thinking isn't usually counted as an AS [more counted towards your extra curricular] but if you're already doing 4 AS levels, then Critical Thinking may be nice to have to soften the workload.
Reply 5
ECONOMICS! :smile: It's fun, relevant and highly thought of. :smile: I'm doing 5AS as well, don't let people put you off! Good luck! :smile:
Economics is piss easy at AS. Do it. Only A2 does it become a stress.
Original post by Cantthinkofnames
Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Chemistry

Please don't take crit think...

And you should really be taking Classical Greek... :-P

But I'd say Computing...
Reply 8
No need to think about it here.

ECONOMICS! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest