The Student Room Group
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website

Should I commute to uni??

I live in Gloucestershire and want to study at UWE (Bristol). The train can take around an hour to get there, sometimes 50 mins (different changeovers and stuff) and the train station is maybe 5-10 mins from my house, and the Bristol station is a 5 min bus journey from the campus. Am I crazy to try and commute everyday? I hear of people commuting up to 5 hours a day in total!
I just know I can't leave home. If I can't commute, I will probably end up not going to uni :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Commuting two hours to go back and forth , is doable.
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
Reply 2
Hello, i am also in the same position although i am from Swindon and will be driving. Apparently they can arrange your placement in a hospital closer to home and the first year is 19 weeks of placement anyway. Also the only thing to think about is that if we have a break between lectures we would have to hang around rather than going back to halls or something. i am stuck as of what to do aswell!
Reply 3
You're not silly :smile: I live in Wiltshire, I'm about the same distance from UWE as you are and I'm commuting. I'm doing law so only in 12 hours a week so I figured I might aswell save money and carrying on living with my boyfriend :smile:

If you don't want to leave home then don't, it's your own preference. Don't listen to those who say you'll miss out, you may do a bit on partying but that can still happen if you make an effort.

Do what is best for you :smile: can always live in Bristol in your second year :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Swindon123
Hello, i am also in the same position although i am from Swindon and will be driving. Apparently they can arrange your placement in a hospital closer to home and the first year is 19 weeks of placement anyway. Also the only thing to think about is that if we have a break between lectures we would have to hang around rather than going back to halls or something. i am stuck as of what to do aswell!

I'm doing forensic science, only a 12-15 hour week x
Reply 5
Original post by LRussss
You're not silly :smile: I live in Wiltshire, I'm about the same distance from UWE as you are and I'm commuting. I'm doing law so only in 12 hours a week so I figured I might aswell save money and carrying on living with my boyfriend :smile:

If you don't want to leave home then don't, it's your own preference. Don't listen to those who say you'll miss out, you may do a bit on partying but that can still happen if you make an effort.

Do what is best for you :smile: can always live in Bristol in your second year :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks :smile: yeah I think I'm going to do that, doesn't take long to actually commute and means I can stay on campus and get some work done whilst I'm waiting to go to the train station :smile: I'm only going to have a 12-15 hour week, so hopefully the days won't be too long! I hate partying anyway, would only really do it if I had a friend who had a birthday or something. Don't want to be sat in halls alone while people come back throwing up everywhere hahaha x
Reply 6
1 hour isn't much really, I spent roughly an hour getting to sixth form and it didn't really feel too long.
Reply 7
Original post by zoedx
thanks :smile: yeah I think I'm going to do that, doesn't take long to actually commute and means I can stay on campus and get some work done whilst I'm waiting to go to the train station :smile: I'm only going to have a 12-15 hour week, so hopefully the days won't be too long! I hate partying anyway, would only really do it if I had a friend who had a birthday or something. Don't want to be sat in halls alone while people come back throwing up everywhere hahaha x

I'm not a massive clubbing fan either, I like pubs n having a drink but not manic partying. Guess I'm a boring 19 year old sometimes :smile:
I'm doing the same as you, I'll just hit the library the days I drive in and have some time!

Glad I'm not the only one who is doing what I'm doing :smile:

Never know, might see you about :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Hello, don't worry about the commute - I live in Newbury and I'll be commuting from September. There will be common rooms which students can use between lectures and there is always the library.

Don't give up on what you want to do - there is nothing wrong with wanting to live at home whilst you further your education. In fact there are some benefits!

Good luck
Reply 9
Thanks everyone :smile: nice to hear of other people doing it too, rather than just being told how crazy I am haha! Decision made :smile: x
Reply 10
Original post by LRussss
I'm not a massive clubbing fan either, I like pubs n having a drink but not manic partying. Guess I'm a boring 19 year old sometimes :smile:
I'm doing the same as you, I'll just hit the library the days I drive in and have some time!

Glad I'm not the only one who is doing what I'm doing :smile:

Never know, might see you about :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it's nice to know I'm not the only one doing it :smile:
what course are you doing?
Reply 11
Original post by Emmnew
Hello, don't worry about the commute - I live in Newbury and I'll be commuting from September. There will be common rooms which students can use between lectures and there is always the library.

Don't give up on what you want to do - there is nothing wrong with wanting to live at home whilst you further your education. In fact there are some benefits!

Good luck

Are you going to UWE? :smile:
If not moving out is your own choice then that's a separate matter, but no one can force you to stay at home when you go to university so I would advise you to move out. One hour max is standard for commuting to university though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by BlackJackson
If not moving out is your own choice then that's a separate matter, but no one can force you to stay at home when you go to university so I would advise you to move out. One hour max is standard for commuting to university though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's my own choice. I don't want to move out yet, and don't really fancy the uni life :smile: I'm one of those people where if I move out and hate it I'd be tempted to drop out, and don't wanna risk making that mistake!
Original post by zoedx
It's my own choice. I don't want to move out yet, and don't really fancy the uni life :smile: I'm one of those people where if I move out and hate it I'd be tempted to drop out, and don't wanna risk making that mistake!

University will be no fun if all you'll do is go there to study. It'll be just like another 3/4 years of A levels (which I don't know about you but I'm personally hating every moment of). Have you taken an in depth look at what uni life will be like? It seems pretty awesome to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by BlackJackson
University will be no fun if all you'll do is go there to study. It'll be just like another 3/4 years of A levels (which I don't know about you but I'm personally hating every moment of). Have you taken an in depth look at what uni life will be like? It seems pretty awesome to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't care if uni is fun though, not really. I'm not paying 9k a year to have fun, I want a degree. It's not like I won't consider moving out the year after, it's just I don't want to now. maybe when I'm more familiar with Bristol I will consider it. the uni life really isn't for me though, there is nothing about it I really consider appealing... I have friends who are the complete opposite to me and they can't even imagine not partying, I can't think of anything worse.
Even if I make a mistake and 6 months into uni feel like I'm missing out, I move out the year after, but if I move out and make a mistake and drop out I'm left with debt and no degree. I'd rather do it this way round to be honest.
Original post by zoedx
I live in Gloucestershire and want to study at UWE (Bristol). The train can take around an hour to get there, sometimes 50 mins (different changeovers and stuff) and the train station is maybe 5-10 mins from my house, and the Bristol station is a 5 min bus journey from the campus. Am I crazy to try and commute everyday? I hear of people commuting up to 5 hours a day in total!
I just know I can't leave home. If I can't commute, I will probably end up not going to uni :frown:

I take underground one hour each way to my uni, it gets pretty annoying when you need to travel 2 hours for only a one hour lecture tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by goldenfish
I take underground one hour each way to my uni, it gets pretty annoying when you need to travel 2 hours for only a one hour lecture tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know it's inconvenient, for the sake of one hour in a day I'd probably stay on campus and get some work done too
Original post by zoedx
I don't care if uni is fun though, not really. I'm not paying 9k a year to have fun, I want a degree. It's not like I won't consider moving out the year after, it's just I don't want to now. maybe when I'm more familiar with Bristol I will consider it. the uni life really isn't for me though, there is nothing about it I really consider appealing... I have friends who are the complete opposite to me and they can't even imagine not partying, I can't think of anything worse.
Even if I make a mistake and 6 months into uni feel like I'm missing out, I move out the year after, but if I move out and make a mistake and drop out I'm left with debt and no degree. I'd rather do it this way round to be honest.

You'll get a degree regardless, it doesn't mean those who have fun at uni won't get a degree haha! I think it's important that you enjoy yourself, you're afraid that you might drop out because you won't like living there but you know that could also happen if you become bored/stressed of simply studying and commuting day in day out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In a similar position. Glad to hear that it isn't uncommon! I will definitely be commuting (for first and second year at least) if I end up going to Leeds uni instead of Manchester uni. Train is only 50 mins, 10 mins bus from station to campus and the station from home is about 20 mins (about 1 hour and a half in total which isn't bad really, besides the costs and having to wake up earlier than usual if you've got a lecture at 9am :tongue:).

I think it's definitely worth it, especially is you love your course and city and, as you said, want a degree :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending