Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website

Should I commute to uni??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by BlackJackson
You'll get a degree regardless, it doesn't mean those who have fun at uni won't get a degree haha! I think it's important that you enjoy yourself, you're afraid that you might drop out because you won't like living there but you know that could also happen if you become bored/stressed of simply studying and commuting day in day out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

no i know that haha I'm just not making fun a priority. If you knew me as a person you'd probably know that I'm very unlikely to drop out because I'm bored, I've always been all work and no play haha. My friends can't comprehend that I don't enjoy partying, I'd rather get something to eat in the day with them and go shopping which I can still do before my train.
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
Reply 21
If it's doable, do it I say :smile: yes I'm exactly the same, I'll feel sorry for myself and wait for drunk room mates to come home, how depressing! I'd rather consider moving out in 2nd/3rd years when I know people and feel more comfortable, don't want to move out and be lumped with 5 people who might be complete opposites to me!
Reply 22
I commute in, an hour one-way by bus. It's not a big deal really, I just have to get up a bit earlier and endure a packed bus. I lived at uni one year and I did definitely prefer that to travelling in, but it was also far too expensive (my bus is £2.80 for both ways :tongue:).
Reply 23
My lifestyle is so not compatible with uni life haha :smile: UWE was my first open day, and I instantly knew I wanted to go there, so honestly I'm sooo happy I can still go!
Reply 24
Original post by xDave-
I commute in, an hour one-way by bus. It's not a big deal really, I just have to get up a bit earlier and endure a packed bus. I lived at uni one year and I did definitely prefer that to travelling in, but it was also far too expensive (my bus is £2.80 for both ways :tongue:).

yeah well I'm prepared for that I guess! It takes 35 minutes to get to school in the morning, which is ridiculous considering it's supposed to be in a catchment area and there's a different school 5 minutes away! So I am prepared for getting up early and stuff :smile:
Reply 25
What course is this? I'm ready to make my decision but don't wanna do it until other people start to haha :smile:
Reply 26
Hi, yes I'm going to Uwe in September. I have a place on the Diagnostic Imaging (Radiography) course. I'm very excited and looking forward to starting!

Ps. I know others are saying how exciting uni life will be if you stay on campus/halls and I'm sure it is lots of fun, however, I would also say that it is really important you do what is best for you. Plus once you've made friends at uni there is always the chance to try and move in as the year goes on or share with others in your 2nd year?

Good luck x
Original post by zoedx
I don't care if uni is fun though, not really. I'm not paying 9k a year to have fun, I want a degree. It's not like I won't consider moving out the year after, it's just I don't want to now. maybe when I'm more familiar with Bristol I will consider it. the uni life really isn't for me though, there is nothing about it I really consider appealing... I have friends who are the complete opposite to me and they can't even imagine not partying, I can't think of anything worse.
Even if I make a mistake and 6 months into uni feel like I'm missing out, I move out the year after, but if I move out and make a mistake and drop out I'm left with debt and no degree. I'd rather do it this way round to be honest.

There is little point in you going to uni at all IMHO. Why not take a gap year ?
Reply 28
Original post by zoedx
Yeah it's nice to know I'm not the only one doing it :smile:
what course are you doing?

Just do what makes you happy sweet :smile:

I'm studying LLB Law in frenchay :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by Old_Simon
There is little point in you going to uni at all IMHO. Why not take a gap year ?

That's a silly comment, why is there no point? She's just written how she wants a degree, which is the main goal of uni, so of course she should go. Its all down to preference the living and party side of it surely.. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by Emmnew
Hi, yes I'm going to Uwe in September. I have a place on the Diagnostic Imaging (Radiography) course. I'm very excited and looking forward to starting!

Ps. I know others are saying how exciting uni life will be if you stay on campus/halls and I'm sure it is lots of fun, however, I would also say that it is really important you do what is best for you. Plus once you've made friends at uni there is always the chance to try and move in as the year goes on or share with others in your 2nd year?

Good luck x

Ah I looked into that course at the beginning of year 12 :smile: yeah well that was my train of thought but obviously other people don't think like that haha! X
Reply 31

I don't want to take a gap year I want to carry on studying. I seriously question people who think that if you're not going to move out and party there's no point in uni, wrong priorities.
Original post by zoedx
I don't want to take a gap year I want to carry on studying. I seriously question people who think that if you're not going to move out and party there's no point in uni, wrong priorities.

I never mentioned partying at all did I ?
Reply 33
I never mentioned partying at all did I ?

No but what else is there to uni, studying, living in halls and partying. I didn't ask if I would miss student life anyway I asked if my commuting time was doable, it is, I'm doing it so people coming in and telling me that there's no point will be ignored from now on
Original post by zoedx
No but what else is there to uni, studying, living in halls and partying. I didn't ask if I would miss student life anyway I asked if my commuting time was doable, it is, I'm doing it so people coming in and telling me that there's no point will be ignored from now on

That is my point. You do not seem to fully appreciate what unis are "for" and what opportunities are there other than attending a few lectures. It is a big weakness in your thinking.
Reply 35
Original post by BlackJackson
You'll get a degree regardless, it doesn't mean those who have fun at uni won't get a degree haha! I think it's important that you enjoy yourself, you're afraid that you might drop out because you won't like living there but you know that could also happen if you become bored/stressed of simply studying and commuting day in day out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Someone can't just decide to enjoy partying and "the Uni lifestyle" though. I'm the same as the OP, and I'm commuting next year as a finalist law student. I can't get that involved with societies, which is a bit of a shame, but there are few that I actually like the look of. I can't go to parties = thank God I have an excuse!

OP, I know people who commute to UWE from Cheltenham and Gloucester at the moment, and they manage fine. You just need to be organised and obviously you'll have to get up earlier for a 9am than those living in halls!
But it's definitely up to you to decide what you want from Uni. If you know halls and parties aren't for you, thwn that's fine :smile:
Reply 36
That is my point. You do not seem to fully appreciate what unis are "for" and what opportunities are there other than attending a few lectures. It is a big weakness in your thinking.

I know what they're 'for' and like I've said REPEATEDLY I'll probably take advantage of that in my 2nd year. There are people who have commented who seem like similar people to myself, who are currently at uni and commuting and they seem fine. Maybe you should consider the fact that what unis are 'for' doesn't necessarily apply to everyone
Reply 37
Original post by Katie_p
Someone can't just decide to enjoy partying and "the Uni lifestyle" though. I'm the same as the OP, and I'm commuting next year as a finalist law student. I can't get that involved with societies, which is a bit of a shame, but there are few that I actually like the look of. I can't go to parties = thank God I have an excuse!

OP, I know people who commute to UWE from Cheltenham and Gloucester at the moment, and they manage fine. You just need to be organised and obviously you'll have to get up earlier for a 9am than those living in halls!
But it's definitely up to you to decide what you want from Uni. If you know halls and parties aren't for you, thwn that's fine :smile:

I'm not far from cheltenham so that's good to know :smile:
Original post by Katie_p

Having fun doesn't only mean partying. OP sounds like a workaholic imo and that's not good for your health, you need to treat yourself occasionally to prevent stress. Of course everyone will work hard on their studies in uni but have a little fun on the side ie like you said get involved with societies and hang out with friends. It's pretty obvious that you won't have as much social contact with other students if you live at home than you would if you lived on campus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Yes :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending