The Student Room Group

Someone who is less emotional and more wise help me interpret this please

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by McFlury
I think that although she genuinely does care about you and wants to keep in contact, she realises the reality that if you both settle in at different uni and gain new groups of friends you just will not see each other much, even if you want to. That's what happened in my case, sad but true.

It is the sad reality, but hmm, maybe I thought I could make something happen, obviously not...

Sorry about that man :frown:
Reply 21
Original post by Arturo09
It is the sad reality, but hmm, maybe I thought I could make something happen, obviously not...

Sorry about that man :frown:

To be fair, with me it was just good friends, but you could make it into something more as you said you are basically together just without a label. It's worth a try even if it doesn't work out. It's easier said than done I know, I can advise you to do it but I couldn't bring myself to do anything!
Some random and loosely connected thoughts:

- You have spent a lot of time thinking about what she wants. What do you want?

- You said that you both 'love' each other - it doesn't really sound like it.

- If she truly thinks of you as friendzoned, I don't see why she wouldn't then want to keep in touch with you.

To me, you both sound quite unsure of what you want and, in the kindest possible way, you both seem quite young. I would advise you to enjoy what you have together but when the time comes, look forward to enjoying a proper relationship that actually includes being a couple, real love and real intimacy, and planning a future together.
Reply 23
Original post by McFlury
To be fair, with me it was just good friends, but you could make it into something more as you said you are basically together just without a label. It's worth a try even if it doesn't work out. It's easier said than done I know, I can advise you to do it but I couldn't bring myself to do anything!

Ahh so it was a one way thing? like you liked her OR she liked you? :frown:
Yeah I know, I mean it seems crazy why I haven't actually stepped in yet but there is just like a bubble surrounding us and something telling me not to, so I guess if she does choose to go off I cannot have anything to complain about, I had and still have the chance to step in, but lets just see how things plan out :redface:

Im sure you can, you know what, if it is girls that you can't bring yourself around to then I was exactly the same, I just matured a little bit and realized that however cringe this sounds, you really do only live once, and just screw what everyone else thinks. I spent too much time caring about what others thought but I really do regret it, I mean, they're gone now, and that part of my life was wasted, I can't bring that back now, so I might as well get on with life now and live it my way, not anyone else's... :cool:
Reply 24
Ahh so it was a one way thing? like you liked her OR she liked you? :frown:
Yeah I know, I mean it seems crazy why I haven't actually stepped in yet but there is just like a bubble surrounding us and something telling me not to, so I guess if she does choose to go off I cannot have anything to complain about, I had and still have the chance to step in, but lets just see how things plan out :redface:

Im sure you can, you know what, if it is girls that you can't bring yourself around to then I was exactly the same, I just matured a little bit and realized that however cringe this sounds, you really do only live once, and just screw what everyone else thinks. I spent too much time caring about what others thought but I really do regret it, I mean, they're gone now, and that part of my life was wasted, I can't bring that back now, so I might as well get on with life now and live it my way, not anyone else's... :cool:

Well I was pretty sure she liked me but not 100%, added in that I just am not confident enough to say anything/make a move is why nothing ever happened (and the fact I didn't and still don't want a relationship, would prefer something casual but I actually liked this girl as a friend). I feel the exact same as you about not giving a **** about what other people think but it is hard to make that first step and break the habit. I'm sure once I do I will be a lot more confident.
Reply 25
I'm pretty sure you have summed it up there.

I just really didn't know what she meant, or how to interpret it, but I guess now I do, and yeah you are right, we will BOTH have to move on, sad but that's life I guess.

Thank you ever so much :smile:

Btw, that answer seemed like it had a lot of "experience" behind it :redface:

Glad I could help :smile:

I guess I did make it sound a bit like I have been in her situation, but I haven't really. I had a boyfriend who went to uni a year before me, he was a strange guy, to everyone he appears very righteous, but after 8 months of uni he cheated on me and had a new girlfriend within the month. We'd been together for 2 years, so I was bitter for ages about it.
I also met a guy who lived near me in halls in the first year of uni, who had a girlfriend back home who visited every few weeks or so. My first impression of her was that she was silly, but we ended up getting along well. In the meantime, the guy obviously had something going on with another girl who lived in our halls. It was very awkward for the rest of us hallmates, and I couldn't understand how they could spend a night together and the next day, his girlfriend would visit. Did either of them have any self-respect?

I guess it all made me think a lot about relationships and people in general, I feel I can relate to people at your kind of stage in life. I don't think that you or her would do something nasty, but I can see that being at different unis can put so much pressure on people, and sometimes that can result in them act in a way they probably wouldn't want to act.
Reply 26
Original post by McFlury
Well I was pretty sure she liked me but not 100%, added in that I just am not confident enough to say anything/make a move is why nothing ever happened (and the fact I didn't and still don't want a relationship, would prefer something casual but I actually liked this girl as a friend). I feel the exact same as you about not giving a **** about what other people think but it is hard to make that first step and break the habit. I'm sure once I do I will be a lot more confident.

I have every faith in you man, I know, life can be a pain in the *** sometimes but... it does get better! :biggrin:

Original post by Orthonym
Glad I could help :smile:

I guess I did make it sound a bit like I have been in her situation, but I haven't really. I had a boyfriend who went to uni a year before me, he was a strange guy, to everyone he appears very righteous, but after 8 months of uni he cheated on me and had a new girlfriend within the month. We'd been together for 2 years, so I was bitter for ages about it.
I also met a guy who lived near me in halls in the first year of uni, who had a girlfriend back home who visited every few weeks or so. My first impression of her was that she was silly, but we ended up getting along well. In the meantime, the guy obviously had something going on with another girl who lived in our halls. It was very awkward for the rest of us hallmates, and I couldn't understand how they could spend a night together and the next day, his girlfriend would visit. Did either of them have any self-respect?

I guess it all made me think a lot about relationships and people in general, I feel I can relate to people at your kind of stage in life. I don't think that you or her would do something nasty, but I can see that being at different unis can put so much pressure on people, and sometimes that can result in them act in a way they probably wouldn't want to act.

Ahh wow, that's just typical of people our age these days, even now though you would have thought by uni age that everyone would have matured and realized that they need to act in the right way to prepare themselves for life afterwards... to be honest, that stuff is expected of people my age, not someone who is deciding their future.. :redface:
Our society really did f*** up somewhere along the line and now it will probably never return to normal :frown:

Yeah I never would, but it's just sad and a real shame that young people feel they have to move on just because society says so, I really hope she doesn't change, I will remain a happy person if she goes off and keeps her decency, because I have taught her a lot about life and she has also taught me, so it will be a waste of a very good person if she acts like your friend and starts to "muck around" :frown:

Thank you though, and I wish you well in your studies and the future! :smile:
Reply 27
I have every faith in you man, I know, life can be a pain in the *** sometimes but... it does get better! :biggrin:

Exactly, I a in no rush really, I'm quite happy as I am. What happens will happen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending