The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Computer Science degree

Hi

I am still a while off joining a university (Currently doing GCSEs). I want to do A Levels as well. But I thought I should start looking at universities early.

I have a few questions about the OU:

1 : I am mainly focussed on programming. Will the computer science course be for me?
2 : How do-able is the CS course? What is the pass rate?
3 : What are peoples experiences with the OU?
4 : What are the tutorials like? Are they mostly text based?
I would definitely advise you to practice programming as early as possible, I had none and I'm really struggling in my first year :frown: Maths is useful, not mandatory, even studying that for AS is beneficial!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
I'm not too worried about programming - I've been programming for about 2 years :smile:. I will defiantly work on maths. I'm hoping to study maths mechanics as AS & A Level.

If you have any problems with programming, feel free to message me.
Currently learning c++ after a few months studying c :smile: I find it hard but most probably due to the fact I had no experience prior uni
Reply 4
Hey, fergalicious

I'm doing AS right now, and I'm trying to find some work experience for Computer science

What kind of work experience do you think will help out the most for uni?

Thanks in advance
Reply 5
fergalicious, c++ and c are both horrible languages to learn :smile:. I thought OU taught Java?

Riken09, Instead of work experience, it's defiantly worth starting programming. Then at least you won't struggle at that part of the course (If going for a CS degree).
Reply 6
Original post by xProNinja
fergalicious, c++ and c are both horrible languages to learn :smile:. I thought OU taught Java?

Riken09, Instead of work experience, it's defiantly worth starting programming. Then at least you won't struggle at that part of the course (If going for a CS degree).

I'm on the Software Development pathway, and the CS pathway was introduced after I started.

OU teaches two Java modules, and an algorithms module which includes Python.

I'm currently in the first year, but am progressive fine - doing all three first year modules concurrently.
Reply 7
Original post by ct2k7
I'm on the Software Development pathway

What did you do before your CS degree?
Reply 8
Original post by xProNinja
What did you do before your CS degree?

I studied Aeronautics in Florida, but I current work as a software developer during the week.

Quick Reply

Latest