The Student Room Group

Work Experience

This may be quite a specific question, but any help is much appreciated.

I'm going to be doing my GCSEs this summer and hope to get straight A*s (like everyone). I have also made my A-level choices for next year, and I'm going to be taking Maths and Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Spanish. I hope to pursue a medical career.

My question regards Work Experience, as titled above. I know that medical careers are highly competitive in this day and age, but is there something that I could do this summer (after exams) to get ahead of the game? I go to a private school so I have been told that I have to organise my Work Experience by myself.

I have a particular interest in pursuing a specific medical career, such as Neurology or Cardiology. However, I'm not afraid to mix with people and work hard if I have to. I've been thinking of perhaps volunteering in a elderly care home (there's a private home near me that I could inquire about), but are there any other types of medical work experience for people my age (16)?

Any responses are kindly received.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by owenhughes22
This may be quite a specific question, but any help is much appreciated.

I'm going to be doing my GCSEs this summer and hope to get straight A*s (like everyone). I have also made my A-level choices for next year, and I'm going to be taking Maths and Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Spanish. I hope to pursue a medical career.

My question regards Work Experience, as titled above. I know that medical careers are highly competitive in this day and age, but is there something that I could do this summer (after exams) to get ahead of the game? I go to a private school so I have been told that I have to organise my Work Experience by myself.

I have a particular interest in pursuing a specific medical career, such as Neurology or Cardiology. However, I'm not afraid to mix with people and work hard if I have to. I've been thinking of perhaps volunteering in a elderly care home (there's a private home near me that I could inquire about), but are there any other types of medical work experience for people my age (16)?

Any responses are kindly received.

Thanks.

When my child expressed an interest a couple of years ago, the GP said they had tried offering work experience for medic undergraduates, and the patients complained, so they would not contemplate taking on 16 year old - however, I've heard that some practices are willing to do so. He also said that the best work experience is hospice work, which really helps you to decide whether medicine is for you. We had no success in getting such work experience.

The hospitals in our area had completely different policies on work experience - check the relevant trust website.

Have you considered volunteering? Red Cross will accept 16 year olds.
Reply 2
No I haven't as of yet, thank you for your response.
Reply 3
A friend of mine wants to do medicine and she volunteered a care home once a week and now she's volunteering in a nursery. Just another couple of things which you can consider. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending