The Student Room Group

Does vaseline really make your lashes grow longer?

Or is it a myth?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's a myth. Vaseline is made from a petrol by-product, don't put it anywhere near your eyes. Instead opt for some macadamia or avocado oil, rub them on your lashes before your go to bed. I recommend Olivado oils since they are organic and cold pressed, so their nutrients are still intact. You can buy avocado oil here: http://www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=133034
Reply 2
No idea about that. But I've heard it makes a brilliant lube :perv:
Just makes them look longer - but I wouldn't want petrol anywhere near my eyes, to be honest. It's just like mascara - lashes look longer but don't actually grow longer.
Reply 4
Don't know about Vaseline but coconut oil does.
Original post by Secretnerd123
Or is it a myth?

I've done it before, didn't really notice a difference but I did with castor oil. With castor oil, my lashes became fuller and tad longer: I guess it conditions them so that they won't break easily whilst you're rubbing/getting off your eye makeup, therefore allowing them to grow longer?
I just put it on before bed with an interdental brush as a type of mascara wand :smile:
Original post by RoseBrilliante
I've done it before, didn't really notice a difference but I did with castor oil. With castor oil, my lashes became fuller and tad longer: I guess it conditions them so that they won't break easily whilst you're rubbing/getting off your eye makeup, therefore allowing them to grow longer?
I just put it on before bed with an interdental brush as a type of mascara wand :smile:

Does it work on eyebrows too?
Nothing can make eyelashes grow longer. They have a terminal length. Some oils like coconut or almond might improve the condition of the hairs and prevent them from breaking but they can never grow longer than they are naturally programmed to.
Original post by iAngely
It's a myth. Vaseline is made from a petrol by-product, don't put it anywhere near your eyes. Instead opt for some macadamia or avocado oil, rub them on your lashes before your go to bed. I recommend Olivado oils since they are organic and cold pressed, so their nutrients are still intact. You can buy avocado oil here: http://www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=133034

Not true. There's nothing wrong with using mineral oils on your face
Original post by Secretnerd123
Does it work on eyebrows too?

Yeahh, seeing as eyebrows are hair too :smile:
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Nothing can make eyelashes grow longer. They have a terminal length. Some oils like coconut or almond might improve the condition of the hairs and prevent them from breaking but they can never grow longer than they are naturally programmed to.

So we think they're longer but really we're just seeing them at their longest length (when we use oil) because we're used to them breaking off before they reach their longest? Especially if we wear mascara etc.?
(Sorry if this doesn't make sense - brain is a bit frazzled from revision today :smile:)
[QUOTERoseBrilliante;46515112]So we think they're longer but really we're just seeing them at their longest length (when we use oil) because we're used to them breaking off before they reach their longest? Especially if we wear mascara etc.?
(Sorry if this doesn't make sense - brain is a bit frazzled from revision today :smile:)

Yeah pretty much. Mascara is actually really damaging to eyelashes especially if you pick it off (like I do!)
Well, it certainly makes your D grow longer!! HOho!!!
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88

Yeah pretty much. Mascara is actually really damaging to eyelashes especially if you pick it off (like I do!)

I pick mine off too! I always use waterproof so nothing will get them off my lashes at the end of the day :/ But I don't want to use normal mascara because I have oily skin so it always ends up under my eyes after a while. So frustrating
Reply 14
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Not true. There's nothing wrong with using mineral oils on your face

What's not true? The fact that it's a petrol by-product? Which it is.
There is nothing wrong with using mineral oil, but it has absolutely no benefits. The commercial beauty companies use it because it is cheap, unlike real oils.
Original post by iAngely
What's not true? The fact that it's a petrol by-product? Which it is.
There is nothing wrong with using mineral oil, but it has absolutely no benefits. The commercial beauty companies use it because it is cheap, unlike real oils.

No, it's a by product, but you were implying it was bad to put near your eyes. That's what's not true
Reply 16
Worked on me
Reply 17
No, it's a by product, but you were implying it was bad to put near your eyes. That's what's not true

I believe that it is. Anything that has mineral oil in it, also has a 'pusher' which makes your skin absorb the product. Why do they need these 'pushers'? Because your skin wont absorb it otherwise, it doesn't want it. It clogs pores and is a petrol by product as we know.

Now, in my opinion, I wouldn't like to put a petrol by product anywhere on my face, let alone anywhere near my eyes. You wouldn't put petrol on your face or on your eyes, so why would you do the same with a by product?
Original post by iAngely
I believe that it is. Anything that has mineral oil in it, also has a 'pusher' which makes your skin absorb the product. Why do they need these 'pushers'? Because your skin wont absorb it otherwise, it doesn't want it. It clogs pores and is a petrol by product as we know.

Now, in my opinion, I wouldn't like to put a petrol by product anywhere on my face, let alone anywhere near my eyes. You wouldn't put petrol on your face or on your eyes, so why would you do the same with a by product?

Chemistry tells us that the sizes of the chains in mineral oil are too big to block pores. So it's a myth

And because a byproduct isn't the same as the product itself. Seriously, this is chemistry
Reply 19
Chemistry tells us that the sizes of the chains in mineral oil are too big to block pores. So it's a myth

And because a byproduct isn't the same as the product itself. Seriously, this is chemistry

You are right. I just did some research into it, and all of the scare mongering is stemming from the use of unrefined mineral oil.

Quick Reply

Latest