The Student Room Group

Russian and Arabic vs. Chinese and Russian

I am unsure of what course I should take, the Russian and Arabic course is at St. Andrews and the Chinese and Russian is at Edinburgh. I am fascinated in Chinese and Arabic for different reasons so can't decide which to choose.
Reply 1
Hey! I am thinking of studying Russian and Arabic or choosing one of those languages with politics. My only problem is, is that I cant find many universities that offer the course. Have you been able to find many? I would say that both choices have great and interesting prospects but I would say Russian and Arabic have greater ties as for example Russia are heavily involved in the Syria conflict. I think both have a great amount of influence. Its just hard to find many course. Let me know if you find many and what you pick?:smile:
Reply 2
I thought you were talking about. WAR. Who's stronger !!
Reply 3
Original post by Anatheme
Russian and Arabic:

- St Andrews (potentially both from scratch or Russian A-Level + Arabic from scratch)
- Edinburgh (potentially both from scratch or potentially Russian A-Level + Arabic from scratch)
- Durham (Russian A-Level + Arabic from scratch)
- Leeds (both from scratch or Russian A-Level + Arabic from scratch)
- Manchester (both from scratch or Russian A-Level + Arabic from scratch)
- Oxford (Russian A-Level + Arabic from scratch)
- Cambridge (Russian A-Level + Arabic from scratch)
- Exeter (Russian A-Level + Arabic from scratch)

As for either with IR, see the post I posted before.

Are you sure edinburgh offer Russian and Arabic together? and thanks for your help!
Reply 4
No, hence my indicating "potentially". They do both separately, and because Scottish degrees generally allow you to pick other subjects in your first year (and I think that's also the case at Edinburgh?), you might be able to do Russian and Arabic and IR. This might not be the case at Edinburgh, I didn't do more research than, tbh :p:

If you can't do Russian and Arabic as joint honours, you'll almost certainly be able to do one of them and the other on the side (language centre, etc. all explained above.)

Even if Russian and Arabic aren't offer as joint honours and permitting that they're are no timetable clashes, then yes, you're right in saying that you could potentially take both of them with one of them being a side subject. That said, sometimes tutors aren't so keen if you take 2 beginners' languages especially if they're known to be difficult. Moreover, if you're doing single honours, sometimes they require you to take more than 1 subject. For example, people doing a single honours Japanese degree had to take Japanese 1 and East Asian Civilisation in their first year. Their third subject was free for them to choose.
Reply 5
No, hence my indicating "potentially". They do both separately, and because Scottish degrees generally allow you to pick other subjects in your first year (and I think that's also the case at Edinburgh?), you might be able to do Russian and Arabic and IR. This might not be the case at Edinburgh, I didn't do more research than, tbh :p:

If you can't do Russian and Arabic as joint honours, you'll almost certainly be able to do one of them and the other on the side (language centre, etc. all explained above.)

I was wondering what you thought of Russian and Arabic at Manchester did you gain a good level of proficiency in both languages?
Reply 6
I had problems adapting to Manchester at first, mainly because I moved countries and was living in a much smaller place before, so for a year, I really didn't like Manchester (I say that, I've moved to London recently and spent a good 4 months hating it deeply, haha).

Now that I've changed universities, I was able to compare what I had with what I have now, and I can honestly say I didn't realise how lucky I was at Manchester. Both departments are rather small, meaning you get to know all your lecturers very well (I've got a couple on FB now), and you also get to know students from all levels, which I don't think you'd really have the chance to at Exeter or SOAS where they don't even know their entire cohort. Having such a close-knit department means the staff is very keen on taking good care of the students, and when I had problems in both languages, teachers offered me private classes outside of the usual contact hours so that I wouldn't fall behind.

There's also a peer support system where students from 2nd and 4th years will dedicate a couple of hours a week to helping 1st or 2nd year students with problematic modules. I'm still quite close to some of the students I mentored, and they did admit that it helped them greatly as the jump from A-Levels to degree-level is quite important, and being mentored by people who've already been through what you're currently going through is not only helpful, it keeps you motivated because you know if they've done it, you can do it too.

In terms of resources, Manchester has one of the largest libraries in the country, and their online resources collection (journals, etc.) is the best in the country (Oxford is just behind, but Manchester wins this hands down.) The main library has tonnes of resources for both languages, be it grammar books, dictionaries, random stuff you didn't expect, and there's also a language centre library which has lots of other textbooks not used on the course but that can help. There's also lots of DVDs and children's books that you can use to work on your language, and there's a language lab where you can go watch TV, and record programmes in whatever language you want.

In terms of the city itself, it took me some time but I did eventually grow to love it. Most of my friends actually stayed on after their degrees because there's lots of jobs in the area if you don't want to move to London. The city centre is fantastic and has everything you might want, and there's also a strong Russian community (the Russian restaurant is absolutely brilliant for entertainement, haha), and with Manchester being so international, it's very easy to find Arabic and Russian speakers, they've got their own societies and they're more than happy to help out!

As for proficiency, wherever you go, you will not achieve mastery in either language. Four years is just not long enough and it will take you many more years before reaching a really great level. That said, you can achieve a very decent intermediate/advanced level in either language if you put the efforts in, but there's only so much you can achieve at university, and this won't change no matter where you apply and end up. I spent a semester in Damascus and there were people from Durham, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Manchester, Exeter and SOAS in the class for the lowest level of Arabic, and same thing for the highest level. It's all down to how much you work, really, there's not telling how well you'll do, I'm afraid!

wow thank you, and when applying for Russian and Arabic what else and where else did you apply because I find that there are only a few places that offer it. How would you compare the Arabic departments quality of teaching with places like SOAS or Exeter- do you use the textbook "Al Kitab"?

thanks!
I applied to Cambridge, Durham, Manchester, Leeds and Exeter (got offers from the last three, rejections from the first two), but I'm afraid I can't compare the actual departments given that I haven't studied at either SOAS or Exeter, I was in class with them in Damascus but that's it. I think they're more intensive than Manchester in some aspects, but the Russian side of your degree will suffer greatly if you go to Exeter (unlike Manchester, you can't split your year equally between each language), and would be non-existent at SOAS as they just don't offer Russian at all.

I haven't heard much from Leeds, it always seemed to me like a bit of a Manchester wannabe and I preferred Manchester, haha, but they offer a 5 years programme that includes two years abroad, and I think it's a brilliant idea for a degree like Russian and Arabic because a semester isn't enough at all. Regarding textbooks, I used Al-Kitaab at Manchester, but we got it changed because it's not the most user-friendly textbook around for Arabic. They now use Ahlan Wa Sahlan which looks nicer, and the topics aren't as depressing. I think Cambridge, Oxford and Exeter also use it, but SOAS have their own material.

Wow thanks! Yeah because my problem is that although I have knowledge of both languages, I would effectively be starting both ab initio so all I have found really is Leeds, St Andrews, Manchester and UCL language and culture (including Arabic minor) and struggling to find a last option..This would be the ideal course but I really cant think of a way to find a fifth option..:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending