The Student Room Group

Boarding School?!

Hey guys :smile:

For the past 5-6 years, I've wanted to move to boarding school. I have one in mind that for some reason I'm completely smitten with. There are plenty opportunities for financial aid and scholarships which I could have. It also has it's own equestrian centre, which I'd love to be able to take part in, and the academic and sports is very high. It's the perfect school for me, and I know it.
But, I have a problem. My mum is severely ill with a form of depression, called Dysthymia, and also "Double Depression". She tried to commit suicide when I was about 9, so I lived with my grandparents for a year or two. It was around then when I started to become infatuated with the idea of boarding school.
I moved back in with my mum, and my dad began helping out loads, after only seeing me once a fortnight (they are divorced). He helped a great deal. My mum was in and out of hospital and I was in and out of my grandparents house, but those few years seem a blur to me. Now, my mum's health has fallen dramatically. My dad is becoming less and less helpful, and I found out something recently which he did when I was around 3, and I don't think I can look at him the same again. I'm constantly becoming more and more stressed, and my mum is talking seriously about commiting suicide. She's tried everything to get better and nothings worked. Now, even her mental health team arent helping her.
So it all lies on me to get her through each day. I'm finding it hard to sleep and I dread each day. I'm not performing as well as I should be in school, and I know that I can do really well. I'm still in top sets but after my recent exams, I'm scared that will all change. I have my GCSE's next year, and I know I have to work my butt off for it. Im so stressed out, I just want a break from everything... a fresh start.
So, to me, boarding school is what I want. But how do I tell that to mum? I feel selfish, and I feel like she will hate me. But I need to think about myself and my future. I hope you understand. What should I do?
Reply 1
Call social services? They will come and take her away, I suppose, to some institution.
Reply 2
Original post by Missfreewishes
Hey guys :smile:

For the past 5-6 years, I've wanted to move to boarding school. I have one in mind that for some reason I'm completely smitten with. There are plenty opportunities for financial aid and scholarships which I could have. It also has it's own equestrian centre, which I'd love to be able to take part in, and the academic and sports is very high. It's the perfect school for me, and I know it.
But, I have a problem. My mum is severely ill with a form of depression, called Dysthymia, and also "Double Depression". She tried to commit suicide when I was about 9, so I lived with my grandparents for a year or two. It was around then when I started to become infatuated with the idea of boarding school.
I moved back in with my mum, and my dad began helping out loads, after only seeing me once a fortnight (they are divorced). He helped a great deal. My mum was in and out of hospital and I was in and out of my grandparents house, but those few years seem a blur to me. Now, my mum's health has fallen dramatically. My dad is becoming less and less helpful, and I found out something recently which he did when I was around 3, and I don't think I can look at him the same again. I'm constantly becoming more and more stressed, and my mum is talking seriously about commiting suicide. She's tried everything to get better and nothings worked. Now, even her mental health team arent helping her.
So it all lies on me to get her through each day. I'm finding it hard to sleep and I dread each day. I'm not performing as well as I should be in school, and I know that I can do really well. I'm still in top sets but after my recent exams, I'm scared that will all change. I have my GCSE's next year, and I know I have to work my butt off for it. Im so stressed out, I just want a break from everything... a fresh start.
So, to me, boarding school is what I want. But how do I tell that to mum? I feel selfish, and I feel like she will hate me. But I need to think about myself and my future. I hope you understand. What should I do?

Have your mum sectioned then she can go to an institute specifically designed to help her and you can go to boarding school.
Your mum will want the best for you. Bring up in conversation the fact that you don't feel like you are in a stable environment and would like to consider the option of boarding school. Make sure she knows that it's not because you don't love her, you just feel it would be better for you academically. Highlight the small class sizes and highly qualified teachers and explain that you think you'll be able to do much better in a boarding environment. Don't ask constantly but don't give up if she says no. Explain exactly why this school is the best fit for you and tell her you can apply for a scholarship/financial aid. Can I ask which school it is?
Reply 4
Hello, and thanks for your reply, it has given me a lot more courage to ask!

Its Queen Ethelburga's College, but I'm having second thoughts due to the fees, and knowing that I have to make sure I have money for Uni, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending