The Student Room Group

'Fluffy' fashion degrees?!

This is something that has bothered me for a very long time and I feel like this is something that needs to be addressed.

So I'm (hopefully) going to be doing a fashion related degree next year. And for some reason, this is something a lot of people feel the need to look down upon.
A lot of people see anything relating to fashion as 'fluffy' or 'not a real degree'. And this really annoys me.
Of course all my cousins are off to uni next year to do medicine and law and psychology and probably rocket science for all I could care. So I'm the laughing stock of the family at the moment.

Has anyone else experienced this? What can I say in defence?
Reply 1
The only thing you should be saying 'in defence' is 'this is what I want to do'. If you feel the need to justify yourself any further than that, then perhaps you have some insecurities about your degree as well.

I absolutely think it's true that fashion is one of the corners of the arts degrees that is 'looked down upon'. The opinions of those that don't know someone who has studied it, and can identify that it can be just as challenging as any other degree, and see that it certainly *can* be just as worthwhile as some other subjects, shouldn't matter to you. If you want to do it, then you need to get a bit of emotional armor, because the reactions put forward by your family won't be the only time you see such responses to your degree choices. Just say that you're doing what you truly want to do, that you're happy with it, and smile confidently while you say it all. They'll soon see that's what matters.
Reply 2
Original post by awe
The only thing you should be saying 'in defence' is 'this is what I want to do'. If you feel the need to justify yourself any further than that, then perhaps you have some insecurities about your degree as well.

I absolutely think it's true that fashion is one of the corners of the arts degrees that is 'looked down upon'. The opinions of those that don't know someone who has studied it, and can identify that it can be just as challenging as any other degree, and see that it certainly *can* be just as worthwhile as some other subjects, shouldn't matter to you. If you want to do it, then you need to get a bit of emotional armor, because the reactions put forward by your family won't be the only time you see such responses to your degree choices. Just say that you're doing what you truly want to do, that you're happy with it, and smile confidently while you say it all. They'll soon see that's what matters.

Yeah you're totally right! But what I'm saying is that it's so annoying and frustrating that I'm being made to feel like a total airhead when actually, fashion and fashion business degrees aren't easy and I know I'm going to have to work just as hard as I would in any other degree. But other people don't seem to see that. I'm not insecure about the degree, it's just frustrating.
Original post by kcsmith
Yeah you're totally right! But what I'm saying is that it's so annoying and frustrating that I'm being made to feel like a total airhead when actually, fashion and fashion business degrees aren't easy and I know I'm going to have to work just as hard as I would in any other degree. But other people don't seem to see that. I'm not insecure about the degree, it's just frustrating.

As hard as an Engineering, Medicine, Physics or Law degree?

I do Management and 2 languages and I don't have as much work as people doing those degrees.
Reply 4
Original post by desdemonata
As hard as an Engineering, Medicine, Physics or Law degree?

I do Management and 2 languages and I don't have as much work as people doing those degrees.

I'm not the subject will be as hard. I'm saying I'm going to need to work just as hard to do the best for myself.
Original post by kcsmith
I'm not the subject will be as hard. I'm saying I'm going to need to work just as hard to do the best for myself.

Getting a first in any degree isn't easy. But unfortunately TSR is a place full of Oxbridge worshippers and people with chips on their shoulder. Humanities as a whole receive abuse on here "humanities students just aren't smart enough for sciences".
Reply 6
Original post by desdemonata
Getting a first in any degree isn't easy. But unfortunately TSR is a place full of Oxbridge worshippers and people with chips on their shoulder. Humanities as a whole receive abuse on here "humanities students just aren't smart enough for sciences".

I've done science subjects my whole life. I've got A-Levels in psychology, geology, physics and chemistry. And I was supposed to be studying psychology at uni this year. So I appreciate how difficult it is. But that's not for me and not my passion. But to say because I'm doing an arts subject I'm not working as hard is unfair. Because every individual needs to work as hard as they can no matter what it is they're doing.
I studied psychology and worked in the field and returned to do a "fluffy" fine art degree. I had to work so much harder second time around you have no idea. It's a different part of the mind that is put under pressure in creative work, you have to learn to handle critique direct at your own practice. I'm sure if I had gone on to masters level in something related to psychology it would have become far more challenging than the undergrad was however.

If you work as hard as you believe you will, and truly give yourself over to pursuing this, it won't be long before your family at the very least appreciate the hours and energy you are putting in. I think it was when my dad rang me at 11pm two nights in a row and I was still in the studio that he twigged it.
Reply 8
Original post by kcsmith
I've done science subjects my whole life. I've got A-Levels in psychology, geology, physics and chemistry. And I was supposed to be studying psychology at uni this year. So I appreciate how difficult it is. But that's not for me and not my passion. But to say because I'm doing an arts subject I'm not working as hard is unfair. Because every individual needs to work as hard as they can no matter what it is they're doing.

A lot of people would say psychology is a fluffy degree.

Whatever degree subject your in you get this. I did biology and it was seen as a 'fuffy' science.

The mathematicians look down on everyone, the engineers and physicists look down on chemicts and biologists and the chemists look down on biologists.

I for one look down on subjects that don't have the potential to better the world. So fashion to me = consumerism = bad. But then if you set up a green clothing label and do something to make the area more ethical your degree could be a force for good!
I think the point is you can't please everyone so don't even try.

There's always going to be someone looking down their nose at you because your talents, interests and motivations are not identical to theirs.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest