The Student Room Group

Volunteering in Brazil during the World Cup?

So I've just heard about the volunteering org Aiesec, who have 6 week-18month placements across the world, via my uni, and wondered whether anyone had been with them before?
But secondly, has anyone been to Brazil before, or have any inkling of whether I'd be either mad to go to Brazil at such an expensive time, or mad not too at such a brilliant one in a life time opportunity?!
Flights at the moment from 10th June are like 700 quid, which i think is pretty decent considering! However, anything more than a grand is entirely out of the question for me!
Accomm and food is paid for if I get accepted to the programme, so this wont really be an issue, but just wondering about travel/extra expenses?
Would be so grateful if anyone has the slightest bit of their own opinion/previous knowledge/more common sense than me!!
700 quid on return flights is actually very cheap.

what do you actually want to know? you weren't very specific
Reply 2
Original post by Arturo Bandini
700 quid on return flights is actually very cheap.

what do you actually want to know? you weren't very specific

Basically I just want to know whether it's either a really good idea to go at that time because it's a once Ina life time opportunity and all that, or whether the amount of people that'll be there and the increase in prices would maybe make it better to go at another time of year? Obviously it's might be hard to tell until it actually happens but I just thought I'd ask for sort of advice anyway! Sorry if this hasn't made things any clearer aha but I tried!
Original post by dulciemae
Basically I just want to know whether it's either a really good idea to go at that time because it's a once Ina life time opportunity and all that, or whether the amount of people that'll be there and the increase in prices would maybe make it better to go at another time of year? Obviously it's might be hard to tell until it actually happens but I just thought I'd ask for sort of advice anyway! Sorry if this hasn't made things any clearer aha but I tried!

Prices will go up in tourist areas obviously, so depends how much time you're gonna spend in those places.

How different the experience will be really depends on where you would be and what you'd be doing. I'm guessing the volunteer work won't be in tourist areas, so...?

In the end, whether it's a good idea to go then is pretty much up to you. There will be more foreigners around, there will be a great party vibe and atmosphere, and lots more people.
Reply 4
Original post by Arturo Bandini
Prices will go up in tourist areas obviously, so depends how much time you're gonna spend in those places.

How different the experience will be really depends on where you would be and what you'd be doing. I'm guessing the volunteer work won't be in tourist areas, so...?

In the end, whether it's a good idea to go then is pretty much up to you. There will be more foreigners around, there will be a great party vibe and atmosphere, and lots more people.

How expensive do you think it will get? doubled prices, deliberate upping of normal things like water and basic food just cos i'm white? (ive had this experience maaany a time in asia and africa, they dont believe me when i say im on a volunteers budget! buuuut i guess most people going to the world cup will have money so why not make the most of it hey?!)
well, the main placements are in Sao Paolo, so if i get to choose where im placed (i havent had my final interview yet so all the ones in brazil could be booked up for all i know!) i would like to travel on weekends, as theyre free - but wondered if itd even be more enjoyable! Im from London, and to be quite honest, the influx of people at 2012 Olympics really annoyed me for the simple fact I couldn't get from A to B without struggle! yeah it was nice to have friendly chats on the tube and whatever with foreigners, but id like to discover a country from a more 'traveller/volunteer' view than just go to all the touristy places and live like a westerner in a sunny place. I know evidently its up to me, I just dont want to make a deision based upon my own assumptions. i mean, brazil's an amazing country anyway right, so might I really be missing out on something if i dont go for the world cup?
thanks for your help anyway, I take it you live in Brazil yourself? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest