The Student Room Group

Are these results good enough.?

In my IGCSE mocks I got 70% in chem and 83% in physics and would like to go into engineering ( possibly chemical) as I really enjoy the sciences. However, I don't know if I might get into a better university doing a subject like history ( 91% in mock). Basically, what I'm trying to ask is whether a science based degree from a sightly university is worse than e.g. history or geography from a better university? Thanks for any replies :biggrin:
Well if you want to be a Chemical Engineer surely a History degree isn't the best way going about it. I don't know how it works in engineering but I'm guessing you have to have an undergraduate degree in a related subject.

If not and you can still go into Engineering after a History degree then it's up to you to decide which degree you enjoy more; Science or History?

btw at a top University History requirements are probably going to be similar to those of Chemical Engineering.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by adamsmithqm
Well if you want to be a Chemical Engineer surely a History degree isn't the best way going about it. I don't know how it works in engineering but I'm guessing you have to have an undergraduate degree in a related subject.

If not and you can still go into Engineering after a History degree then it's up to you to decide which degree you enjoy more; Science or History?

btw at a top University History requirements are probably going to be similar to those of Chemical Engineering.

Sorry I wasn't being clear. If, after my degree I don't want to be an engineer don't companies look at university over course like in finance for example?
Reply 3
It depends on the job. The only unis that will really give you an advantage is Oxbridge and that may be debatable.
it will be preferred if you take subjects like physics (necessary i think?) along with maths , then chemistry if it interests you

you need to look at university courses and see what kind of subjects they require you to have , but i'm pretty sure for engineering you need physics and maths , so that's two A2 subjects gone out of the normal three

Quick Reply

Latest