The Student Room Group

Bath, King's, Manchester, Birmingham, or Bristol?

I've received offers from the unis on a Math Bsc, and I'm wondering which one everyone would recommend.
Thing is that a couple have given me reduced offers, with them all being, respectively, A*AA (or A*AB+step, but fork that), AAA, AAA, AAB, and AAB, and I don't really trust the University rankings on the Guardian, and seeing the campus still isn't having a direct comparison.
People have said ranging, right across the lot of them, that they are all good choices. They fail to realise that I can only pick one, just yet, so if anyone has anything to say, I'll gladly hear it.
Reply 1
Bump. Really, passing comments are appreciated, at this point. Anything.
Original post by Jewagent
Bump. Really, passing comments are appreciated, at this point. Anything.

Well, I went to Bath and really enjoyed it. Whilst that does make me biased it is a very good course and the employment prospects are excellent (I only know of one or two people I graduated with that aren't in a grad job / further education).
Reply 3
Here are some factors you might want to consider:

Given your predicted grades and how you feel you're doing, how hard/easily could you meet the offers?

Even if you can't make direct comparisons based on the campus, it's still worth visiting if you can as you might find you prefer certain unis based on this.

Maybe have a look at the course content for each uni. This would be difficult as a lot of the modules would cover things you've never seen before but maybe see how well each selection of modules matches your interests, and see how flexible the course is.
they're all really great universities and cities mate, going to one of them over another will not close any doors for you in the future. choose the one you genuinely want to go to, don't pay attention to any (very) marginal differences in perceived reputation etc.

visit them all and see which one tickles your fancy, you're gonna be there for 3 yrs
Bristol and Bath are the best for Maths out of those - can't remember which one is slightly better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
As someone doing a Masters at Birmingham, which incorporates modules from their BSc and MSci courses. I would say rule them out they are dreadful, extremely stuck in the past.
I've received offers from the unis on a Math Bsc, and I'm wondering which one everyone would recommend.
Thing is that a couple have given me reduced offers, with them all being, respectively, A*AA (or A*AB+step, but fork that), AAA, AAA, AAB, and AAB, and I don't really trust the University rankings on the Guardian, and seeing the campus still isn't having a direct comparison.
People have said ranging, right across the lot of them, that they are all good choices. They fail to realise that I can only pick one, just yet, so if anyone has anything to say, I'll gladly hear it.

Hi Jewagent,

I'm a second year Mathematical Sciences student at Bath and am thoroughly enjoying all aspects of university life.

The maths department is academically very strong here. If you're interested, here's a list of all of our lecturers and you can read about their interests, publications and achievements.

There is a strong link between students of different years as our tutorials are held by maths students in the years above. These tutorials really enhance learning as it gives students a chance to ask questions in a more relaxed atmosphere that they may not feel comfortable asking in lectures.

Our tutors are also great to talk to about module choices, placements and other maths advice as they've very recently had to make these decisions themselves. And of course there is later the option to become a tutor yourself and gain some teaching experience.

Workshops are also available for first years to speak to lecturers about specific questions in problem sheets or the more challenging aspects of the course. You will also be assigned a mathematics lecturer as a personal tutor who is there to assist you with any topics from the course and will guide you through module choices for the following years.

The mathematics department at Bath offers a huge range of course titles so it is possible to do exactly the kind of maths you are interested in; including physics, accounting and computing modules from your second year onwards.

All maths students take the same units in their first year; 60% pure & applied maths, 20% probability & statistics and 20% programming. The computing unit allows students to explore coding, possibly for the first time, and also explains some really interesting encryption processes used in secure transfers of information.

Bath also offers a fantastic one-year work placement scheme which takes place in between your second and third year, and gives these Bath graduates an edge over those who have never worked in industry. The support for placement applications is excellent and presentations by returning final year students help significantly in deciding whether a placement year is for you or not.

Maths is one of Bath's most populated courses. I believe there are about 320 maths students in my year which is one of the largest courses at the University. Tutorial groups change most semesters so this means you get to know a wide variety of people.

There's also the University of Bath Maths Society which organises regular socials and events.

Overall I've found the department to be very well organised and I've personally been impressed with the action the department has taken in response to our requests.

As a city, I can’t speak highly enough of Bath. I love the fact that it’s small enough that you can easily learn your way around but yet there are still so many events, markets and festivals taking place.

Best of luck with your A levels!
Kind regards,
Isabelle

Original post by yl95
Bristol and Bath are the best for Maths out of those - can't remember which one is slightly better.

Based on what do you say that?

OP, I'm sure they're all good. Manchester is also extremely good for maths; take a look the variety of course units on offer: http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/mathematics-mmath/year-2-course-units/

KCL is also a good option if you think you might be interested in taking your maths in the direction of theoretical physics. Take a look at what they offer in later years: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/nms/depts/mathematics/study/current/handbook/progs/modules/index.aspx

This is in addition to them having a superb looking maths department all-round.

I'm sure Bath, Bristol and Birmingham are also very good; I just happen to know less about the departments. But I'd suggest being a bit suspicious of any claims that one university is "better" than another one if no reasons are offered.
Original post by JuliusDS92
Based on what do you say that?

OP, I'm sure they're all good. Manchester is also extremely good for maths; take a look the variety of course units on offer: http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/mathematics-mmath/year-2-course-units/

KCL is also a good option if you think you might be interested in taking your maths in the direction of theoretical physics. Take a look at what they offer in later years: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/nms/depts/mathematics/study/current/handbook/progs/modules/index.aspx

This is in addition to them having a superb looking maths department all-round.

I'm sure Bath, Bristol and Birmingham are also very good; I just happen to know less about the departments. But I'd suggest being a bit suspicious of any claims that one university is "better" than another one if no reasons are offered.

It's the general consensus among the mathmos here. A few even say COWI(B). They're in the second tier after COWI.
Original post by yl95
It's the general consensus among the mathmos here. A few even say COWI(B). They're in the second tier after COWI.

Regardless, I wouldn't put much stock in that judgement unless there's justification given beyond "other people say so". There's a difference between saying "A lot of people believe this is the case " and saying "This IS the case".
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by JuliusDS92
Regardless, I wouldn't put much stock in that judgement unless there's justification given beyond "other people say so". There's a difference between saying "A lot of people believe this is the case " and saying "This IS the case".

If you look around, there are plenty of discussions relating to it.

Quick Reply

Latest