The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I wass just wondering what would happen If I wouldn't be able to attend to some lectures? I am currently working and I can not afford loosing my job however I want to study so bad but the courses I want to take are just full time. So could I get in trouble for missing some lectures?
Original post by giedre2014
I wass just wondering what would happen If I wouldn't be able to attend to some lectures? I am currently working and I can not afford loosing my job however I want to study so bad but the courses I want to take are just full time. So could I get in trouble for missing some lectures?

Depends on your course i guess. My course registers us every lecture as we are required to a set amount of theory in order to complete our degree :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm pretty lazy, I find the lectures and seminars to be pretty dull, albeit I do learn a lot in my seminars and they're assessed so I do attend them. However for a module last year I missed all but one seminar and still ended up with 65 for the module.

Didn't miss anything from not attending most of my lectures, all they do is read from power points and you can get the same, if not more, value from reading the PowerPoint yourself with a textbook.
I don't give a toss if other students choose to skip lectures, however don't come and ask me for my notes every time you skip out on a lecture because you're too hungover/too tired/too lazy. I don't mind helping people out if they have genuine reasons for missing lectures, but I'm not there to do the work for other people. Unfortunately, some people seem to expect you to want to share it with everyone else if they know you put a lot of work in, that's not how it works though.
Reply 44
1) My lecture notes are online.

2) I never seem to understand the lectures anyways live lol I just sit there for an hour or two copying down notes, nothing goes in. But that's just me

3) Late nights = 9am impossible

4) Lazy

5) Even one of the lecturers told us not to attend his lectures if we didnt want to (not sarcastically). Apparently when he was younger he did not attend all of his lectures and he turned out fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I attended very few lectures or seminars.

It is simple really. Majority of my lecturers were really boring, and I could go over the lecture topic better through the course readings. There were a few interesting lecturers, where I would always attend their lectures, but for the most part very few of them knew how to make a topic engaging or how to teach properly. Why get out of bed at 8am to attend a boring lecture, with a lecturer I can barely understand, when I can go through the course readings and come away with a better knowledge of the topic? It usually became clear after 3 lectures whether or not they were worth attending.

As for seminars, I considered them tedious. The tutors were either lacklustre, or total raving lunatics. Discussing a topic with a bunch of people who haven't bothered to do the reading, or hold extremely unjustifiable views isn't my idea of a productive endeavour. I'm doing a course where seminar participation counts for 0% of my course, so why waste my time doing pointless group projects with people who never pull their weight? It was a waste of my time, I could having doing research for my upcoming essay instead of wasting my time on things such as group projects. That said I did have two very good seminar tutors, both senior professors, who knew how to make seminars engaging and facilitated meaningful discussion. But for the most part seminar tutors were uninterested post-graduates.

So there you go. I didn't miss them because of a 'too cool for school' attitude, rather because I realised early on that a lot of it was a waste of my time.
Meh, I don't care if other people choose not to turn up to lectures. Their degree, their prerogative. Not my issue.
What I find much more annoying, actually, are the people who do turn up to lectures, but then chat/giggle/distract everyone else. :mad: Do what you like when it comes to your own degree, but don't prevent others from learning.
Original post by Xyloid
Because I learn **** all from boring, monotone, old miserable people who have no way of making my subjects interesting.

I have always maintained that if I was given all of the course material in one place I can sit down on my own with a cup of tea and the internet and pass my course.

Then i remembered Blackboard exists which allows for just this.

This. I find lectures awfully unhelpful and I live 90 mins from uni - I stopped going after first semester last year. I would often go in, sit through a boring as hell lecture then just be annoyed that I'd paid money to get there and didn't learn anything. Plus - all the lecturers notes/presentation etc is put online. So, instead of spending money and time travelling I can stay at home, read the presentations there and be getting on with other work.

I planned my timetable so next year I only have to go in the one day a week for seminars (attendance is only taken for seminars, if I attend less than 6 out of 9 I lost 10%) So yeah I'll only have to go in the one day a week and can spend the rest of the week doing my readings/more productive activities.
Original post by giedre2014

Depends on the uni/course I think :smile: at my uni, lecture attendance isn't monitored, just seminar attendance.
I'm curious as to whether any universities take action against this sort of non-attendance behavior? I think if I recall correctly one of my lecturers said they have the right to fail you for the module if they feel you didn't attend enough.
Original post by Ruffiio
I'm curious as to whether any universities take action against this sort of non-attendance behavior? I think if I recall correctly one of my lecturers said they have the right to fail you for the module if they feel you didn't attend enough.

My university will certainly take action against you if your attendance isn't up to par, however most lecturers don't take attendance in lectures, so it's difficult to prove. Attendance is taken in tutorials though, and if you miss 25% or more of your tutorials for each module without good reason, then you aren't allowed to sit the final exam.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I'd say on average I had about a 25% attendance to lectures and seminars, and I still came out with an Economics degree and, more importantly, a job before I'd even taken my finals (a lot better than some of my more conscientious counterparts have done).

If you have the means to do well yourself, what's the point wasting your time attending? Chances are you'll never use what you learn at uni EVER AGAIN. You pay for the service, if you want to take little advantage of that service, that's your prerogative.

What university did you go to?
I totally get where you're coming from in a lot of cases. I did have a friend who would very rarely turn up and was re-taking their first year but still never put in any effort.
However from my experience I've had a lecturer that rushed through the sessions (a two hour session would always just be one hour, every single week) and I quite literally learnt everything for the exam from Youtube tutorials, because he wasn't a particularly good teacher either.
I do commute as well so particularly if I had only one lecture I wouldn't see the point. My current uni is quite strict about attendance so I'll probably be attending all the time anyway, though I think you should still have the choice.
It can certainly be laziness but that doesn't mean that some of these people aren't putting twice as much effort in at home.
My university has a 100% attendance policy and is apparently enforcing it a lot more this year.
They are idiots but it is their choice. Some are annoying and will do well. Some will fail miserably and deserve everything they get.
Original post by tania<3
Some people just don't learn well from lectures. I actually do, so I try and go to as many as possible but at the end of the day I'm still going to learn everything through the lecture slides during revision... So if I don't go to the actual lectures its not a big deal.

Besides, only 2 out of 5 years for medicine are lecture based, the rest is all clinical so it honestly isn't a big deal for me :dontknow:

unfortunately for Student HCPs there may be little or no choice over attendance due to requirements from the registration body, underpinned by law for a certain amount of attendance at both academic blocks and on placement .
Original post by Roving Fish
My university has a 100% attendance policy and is apparently enforcing it a lot more this year.

Which uni is that? When I was at Leicester, they said they would enforce it but History never bothered in lectures and Ancient History never really did anything if you persistently missed lectures as far as I could tell. Attendance in the last semester in one module was dreadful.
Because I'm doing my degree via distance learning instead :tongue:

If I attended a brick uni though, yeah I would skive some classes but not to the extent a lot of students do but its their own choice and if they muck up their grades or whatever, on their own head be it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IMBCFC
Why not ? You pay like £9000 a year. At uni I see students who go into the lecture and walk out half way and claim "oh I cba this lecures boring". Some dont even come in.

Why ?

Im sure most people have grown out of the " Too cool for school" attitude or have they ?

Always amazed me, too. You're paying like £100 per lecture or something, for gods sake don't waste that.

I remember some bloke boasting about how he got 5% on one exam, I just thought "what a ****ing loser."

There are always some people who think they can do better without going to lectures. They're always proved wrong.
Reply 59
Original post by Machop
Last year for one module I missed every single lecture and seminar and still ended up getting 76% overall.

Wow how can I be as cool as you?

Latest

Trending

Trending