The Student Room Group

how far do you think grades reflect intelligence?

by that i mean, to what extent do you think getting good grades means you're intelligent, or that you just have very good work ethic? there are obviously some intelligent people who don't get good grades because they lack the motivation, and there are probably average people who can obtain grades through a lot of hard work.

but what do you think really defines the intelligence of a person?
(edited 10 years ago)
Intelligence is too general a term in my opinion. There are different types of intelligence, like emotional intelligence for instance, which aren't reflected in grades.

So it's very hard to have an overarching intelligence 'test' which encompasses all different facets of what we deem to be intelligent.
Reply 2
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
Intelligence is too general a term in my opinion. There are different types of intelligence, like emotional intelligence for instance, which aren't reflected in grades.

So it's very hard to have an overarching intelligence 'test' which encompasses all different facets of what we deem to be intelligent.

i suppose so. sheldon cooper is a good example of someone thoroughly lacking emotional quotient but being far above average in intellectual intelligence; i suppose there is no real indicator!
Depends on the person.

I got goodish grades but I'm far from an intelligent person.
I don't know, it depends. I go to grammar where we're all supposes to be "intelligent girls" yet not everyone gets A's. So I don't think grades is a good indicator of intelligence if used on it's own
Original post by tanyapotter
i suppose so. sheldon cooper is a good example of someone thoroughly lacking emotional quotient but being far above average in intellectual intelligence; i suppose there is no real indicator!

Cooper is an idiot
Hard work=Good grades
To some extent but in no way does it show the bigger picture. There's more to intelligence than grades. I know plenty of intelligent people with average or less than average grades, as well as knowing people with A*s who lack common sense completely.
If TSR GCSE and A Level results anything to go by, then we're all mini Albert Einsteins.
Reply 9
Academic intelligence, sure, but it doesn't necessarily mean the person has intelligence in other areas like being able to hold a conversation or being able to speak in front of a crowd of people. Good grades don't always link to work ethic either because some people can get the grades putting in minimal effort whilst others revise all night just to get the same grade.

You can't really judge the whole of a person's intelligence just by looking at their grades. :tongue:
Reply 10
If you get bad grades then you're not intelligent (at least when it comes to A Levels and GCSEs). If you're intelligent then it's really not difficult to get good grades even with little to no work.
To a certain extent, intelligent people usually know how to work the system to get good grades with minimal effort.

But good grades can also be achieved through hard work so idk.

Having a good memory helps though.
As far as they didn't require revision.
If we took a sample of students with identical IQ levels then looked at their grades I wonder what we would find ?
It depends on your definition on intelligence and on the examinations themselves.

In general I think grades do not reflect intelligence.

Quick Reply

Latest