The Student Room Group

What can you not stand Music wise?

Scroll to see replies

Just the thought of manufactured, fake, meaningless music makes me want to be sick. I like most genres though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
The thing I hate most is music snobbery.
Original post by DZJX
The thing I hate most is music snobbery.

I guess it's an identity thing though. People want something to define them; something others can judge them by and I guess many of the music "snobists" want to conform to their own judgement of themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CTArsenal
Considering they're two genres I actually like, gladly :wink:

Screamo:

(warning, it is explicit!)

Spoiler

Fair enough, my post isn't directed at people who like either genre, the reason I'm asking is cos I don't think anyone who hates this ****, actually knows what it is.

Dubstep

That's pretty much my point to be honest, I wouldn't say that is Dubstep, if somebody hears that and thinks that's what all Dubstep sounds like then - :biggrin:. This is what I'd consider Dubstep. The heaviest I can go is Sukh Knight and then after that it's too much and into Brostep territory.

FTR, I do not listen to Dubstep much anymore, but from 05-08 I was quite into it.

Also the reason I haven't posted a genre in the thread is because I can find something in pretty much all genres that I like. I think a lot of people who bash Dubstep, could listen to Burial's first album, be surprised and end up liking it.
(edited 10 years ago)
I really enjoy 60's kind of blues rock music, Ray Charles is my all time favourite or any kind of rock really, but in the past few years I've been listening to bands mostly, but I also love anything quiet and acoustic with a singer and his guitar.

I also get really irked when someone looks down on someone else for their musical preferences, there is no need for that. If I'd met me 10 years ago I would have been horrified so I can't really judge anyone musically.
Reply 65
Original post by Wilfred Little
Fair enough, my post isn't directed at people who like either genre, the reason I'm asking is cos I don't think anyone who hates this ****, actually knows what it is.

I didn't give the best example then! I just felt like trolling so I put in a pretty brutal screamo which isn't the best lyrically haha - I only enjoy it because it makes me laugh.

There are tonnes of bands that are screamo and are meaningful though - generalising a genre is awful because those generalisations might stop some people from liking artists/bands they're not 'supposed' to like.

Original post by Wilfred Little
That's pretty much my point to be honest, I wouldn't say that is Dubstep, if somebody hears that and thinks that's what all Dubstep sounds like then - :biggrin:. This is what I'd consider Dubstep. The heaviest I can go is Sukh Knight and then after that it's too much and into Brostep territory.

FTR, I do not listen to Dubstep much anymore, but from 05-08 I was quite into it.

Also the reason I haven't posted a genre in the thread is because I can find something in pretty much all genres that I like. I think a lot of people who bash Dubstep, could listen to Burial's first album, be surprised and end up liking it.

Yeah I get that, loads of people have different interpretations of genres and like them accordingly. Two people may like metal, but one may be into the more modern bands while the other will be more traditional in their taste.

That's why a couple of posts back I said that I don't hate any genre specifically, because I'm sure I can enjoy all of them - but I do dislike artists and some bands haha.
I didn't give the best example then! I just felt like trolling so I put in a pretty brutal screamo which isn't the best lyrically haha - I only enjoy it because it makes me laugh.

There are tonnes of bands that are screamo and are meaningful though - generalising a genre is awful because those generalisations might stop some people from liking artists/bands they're not 'supposed' to like.

lol yh man, I've noticed on here people fall into the trap of thinking anything metal - Thrash, Screamo etc. I used to think like this too, until I stopped being ignorant **** and actually delved into the genre.

Yeah I get that, loads of people have different interpretations of genres and like them accordingly. Two people may like metal, but one may be into the more modern bands while the other will be more traditional in their taste.

That's why a couple of posts back I said that I don't hate any genre specifically, because I'm sure I can enjoy all of them - but I do dislike artists and some bands haha.

For real bro.
Pop and most kinds of metal/screemo just aren't for me.

And one thing that everyone will hate me for... The Beatles and Queen...
Original post by Qymberley
Grime. It's digusting i don't know what the attraction is.

Grime is mostly empty hype on some badman riddim, but sometimes it's worth it for the snippets of wordcraft, like here with Slapdash for e.g:

whole krew out on a mad one
caught in the middle like malcom,
nostrils covered in talcom,
got my head goin nuts like alpen

This new trap-esque style of music that's spreading like wildfire through mainstream is so poor. A classic example is Rihanna - Pour It Up. It's embarrassingly pretentious and just sounds rubbish
Screamo. Does my head in.
Original post by mattRFC1871

Was never a fan of them either. Idek why they're so hyped up :rolleyes:
Original post by mattRFC1871

Yeah I'm not going to lie but that hurt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chances are, if you'll hear it in a club on a night out, I'll hate it.
Not a fan of any hip-hop or rap (barring Flight of the Conchords, and they barely count), and also not too keen on actual screamo/black metal - it's not so much the screaming that annoys me, but the trying to sound 'brutal' to the extent that things are barely musical. Stuff like this (not every song with screaming is screamo) is fine.

Other than that I don't really hate any particular genre, although a lot of pop is incredibly bland and boring and most dance music all sounds the same to me.
Bad karaoke, which includes people such as One Direction and used to be those such as Westlife and Atomic Kitten.

Artists who promote treating women badly such as referring to them as bitches.
Original post by Lyla_Mikaeal
Was never a fan of them either. Idek why they're so hyped up :rolleyes:

Because The Beatles are the best-selling artists of all time, and Queen are in the top ten. :tongue: They really are very good.

I can pretty much enjoy any genre. It's just certain songs which sound like garbage. :biggrin:
Original post by StrangeBanana
Because The Beatles are the best-selling artists of all time, and Queen are in the top ten. :tongue: They really are very good.

I can pretty much enjoy any genre. It's just certain songs which sound like garbage. :biggrin:

Well Done. :yy::yy::yy::yy::yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
People are going to hate me for this but I cant stand Shakira...
Original post by chocolatesauce
People are going to hate me for this but I cant stand Shakira...

Of all the pop divas she is one of the few who actually has a good voice even without auto-tune.
Original post by Autistic Merit
Of all the pop divas she is one of the few who actually has a good voice even without auto-tune.

I don't hate her or anything i just find her voice annoying, people who say she has a nice voice probably don't listen to her voice they just look at the body and the sexy dance moves and maybe some songs are nice but voice? no it pisses me off... She sounds like she's got a blocked nose when she sings in English but her Spanish songs are ok....

Quick Reply

Latest