The Student Room Group

Leeds or Sussex?

Hi everyone,

As you can probably tell, I'm completely torn between the two. I have offers for both (AAB) and I'm hoping to study neuroscience.

Now, obviously it's extremely important that the chosen uni is good for my particular course, however I have no doubt that both are excellent unis for teaching quality so this does not overly concern me.

My dilemma is more that I don't know which of these cities would suit me better. I've heard all sorts about both - Leeds is wonderful, huge and exciting, full of things to do with a great student area. Conversely, I've heard it is grubby, dodgy and just TOO big and impersonal.
Some say Sussex is aesthetically beautiful, great community feel, just enough shops etc in city centre to be what you need. Then others say it is small, boring, poor nightlife, poor sports facilities and the uni itself is experiencing a lot of problems.

Anyone who knows anything about these unis and their respective cities, please shed some light on this and make my decision a little easier. :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by clefairy
Hi everyone,

As you can probably tell, I'm completely torn between the two. I have offers for both (AAB) and I'm hoping to study neuroscience.

Now, obviously it's extremely important that the chosen uni is good for my particular course, however I have no doubt that both are excellent unis for teaching quality so this does not overly concern me.

My dilemma is more that I don't know which of these cities would suit me better. I've heard all sorts about both - Leeds is wonderful, huge and exciting, full of things to do with a great student area. Conversely, I've heard it is grubby, dodgy and just TOO big and impersonal.
Some say Sussex is aesthetically beautiful, great community feel, just enough shops etc in city centre to be what you need. Then others say it is small, boring, poor nightlife, poor sports facilities and the uni itself is experiencing a lot of problems.

Anyone who knows anything about these unis and their respective cities, please shed some light on this and make my decision a little easier. :smile:

I'm at Sussex so I can help a bit. It's not really in the city centre; campus to the city centre is a 30-40 minute bus journey. The nightlife here is great, just look at how many young people come here just for a night out. The area around the university is safe and quite nice in certain parts.

The only problems going on here are the protests but they haven't interrupted things too much as far as I'm aware

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey I've only just seen your post and you've probably made up your mind now but I chose Leeds as my firm and Sussex as my insurance to do Neuroscience.

I thought the two courses were pretty much the same, both seemed very impressive. I liked Leeds more as a uni, i thought the campus was nicer and more lively, with a better student union.

Where did you end up choosing? (if you have)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending