The Student Room Group

New to the Student life

I will be starting at the city of Glasgow college in august and im just wondering what the life of a student is like?

I have a few chinese friends and wondering if Its possible to meet more?

Any comments about the life of a student in glasgow would be very helpful.

Many thanks ,
Steven.
Reply 1
Hi Steven,

This might get moved as this specific part of the forum deals with students at or going to Glasgow Caledonian University. However, i'll try to answer as normal as it's a fairly general question.

I've found that it really depends on what level you are studying at, how much you'll actually be in classes. For example, if you are doing a lower course (NC, NQ) you might find you'll be in 4-5 days a week. However, if you're doing a higher college course such as a HNC/HND you might find you are in 2-3 days a week. This is my experience of courses however, it will probably vary from course to course.

Also, depending what you are going to study you might find yourself in different campuses. I know College of Commerce, Glasgow MET and the College of Nautical studies all merged a few years ago now, but their campuses are at different areas. The old College of Commerce and the old Glasgow MET are both in the centre of town, which is great for going out for something to eat or getting the bus/train to and from the college. The old College of Nautical Studies is a bit further out. As far as I remember it's next to the Glasgow Mosque, near the Clyde River. I'm sure someone can confirm this for me. So, it'll depend which campus you are going to, how accessible things are. Being honest, you wont have much trouble getting around regardless of where you are.

Again, depending on the level of the course, you might have to for 3 smaller exams over the course of the year or one final exam at the end of each semester. I've found with NC and NQ it's 3 exams or NAB's and with the HNC/HND you'll probably get an exam at the end of each semester for each topic. Although again, it varies from course to course and i'm sure those studying at the City of Glasgow College might be able to help you out a little more.

I know in my experience of student life there has been plenty of Asian students around, whether they be Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Malaysian, Filipino etc. I'm not sure if you are Chinese yourself and you are looking to meet fellow Chinese students or what not but I guess it's just your luck if you happen to have another Chinese student in your class. Maybe your best way to meet persons who share the same nationality/culture would be to join a society or club? Again, I'm not entirely sure if that is something they have at Glasgow City College but it's worth asking.

If you are nervous about meeting new people who maybe aren't Chinese, I would say don't worry. The majority of students at college are friendly people are will chat and interact with you regardless of your ethnicity.

As far as I'm aware, City of Glasgow College students are allowed to use the Strathclyde University Union as their union too. So you can go there for drinks with your friends. It's a pretty good union. I've been in a few times. They have quiz nights (Thursday/Friday I'm sure - Can't remember) and themed nights too for Halloween and Christmas etc. They also hold sports events like the World Cup, Champions League etc if you are interested in Football. The Union is literally opposite the college campus so, extremely easy to pop over after a long week studying.

Sticking to the drinking, if you aren't aware, student night in town is a Thursday. Generally, the clubs/pubs will lower the price of their alcohol and the students will be out in force, so if you are looking for a good, cheap night out in town with some of your new or current friends, a Thursday is a great night.

Like I mentioned before, everything is nearby, train station, bus station, Buchanan Galleries which is a big shopping centre. All are literally 5 minute walk away (depending on the campus).

I apologise if I'm treating you like an idiot and you are aware of some of this, I just felt it easier to explain as much as I can instead of me asking you a load of questions, so I could understand what you do and don't know.

Some of the best people I know study/studied at the City of Glasgow College. So you're in good hands there man.

Enjoy it, any questions let me know and i'll do my best to answer them.
Reply 2
Thanks so much ! You have been really helpful.
Steven.😊
Reply 3
No problem mate.

Glad I could help.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest