The Student Room Group

Biology Help!!!

I needed a bit of help with translocation, the movement of assimilates and stuff. There's a bit I'm stuck on. It's about sucrose entering companion cells from the source cell.

I understand that the H+ ions are actively transported from the companion cells into the source cell or other surrounding tissues and against the concentration, and ATP = ADP + P to provide for the energy for this. then the H+ ions create a gradient, and the H+ ions diffuse back into the companion cells, along with sucrose via co transport proteins.

Now, my question is, why do the sucrose move into the companion cells? Along with the H+ ions?? Is it because they are actively transported, or because of facilitated diffusion? Why? And can you explain in great detail please if possible? I was just wondering as I am revising this topic and need serious help. I looked on two different websites and they all say different things. So confused atm.

Thanks in advance guys :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Oh and to add, some websites say that sucrose is actively transported with H+ ions together in the same cotransport protein into the companion cells, some say in a different transport protein (so the sucrose and H+ ions are separately coming into the companion cells), but others state that they are coming via facilitated diffusion and so no energy is required, it is bulk.
Reply 2
Bump!!!!!! I really need help on this :smile:
Reply 3
Bump again!! Does no one hold the answer to my question? :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest