The Student Room Group

Second Degree

Hi I have completed a degree in Biomedical Science and am now going to study optometry as a second degree. Would I be eligible for any type of funding?

Thanks
Reply 1
I'm not 100% sure on what funding is available to optometry students but having had a quick look online it looks like they are solely funded by student loans and grants (please do correct me if I'm wrong).

if this is the case I don't think you will be entitled to funding. The relevant regulations are here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/wsi/2011/886/regulation/7/made and you need to look at part (5) in most detail. If you are entitled to apply for a means tested bursary from the NHS for example you would be entitled to funding under the healthcare bursary rule. But from the information I can see (which isn't very clear) this would not be the case.
Original post by RobEllis_UK
I'm not 100% sure on what funding is available to optometry students but having had a quick look online it looks like they are solely funded by student loans and grants (please do correct me if I'm wrong).

if this is the case I don't think you will be entitled to funding. The relevant regulations are here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/wsi/2011/886/regulation/7/made and you need to look at part (5) in most detail. If you are entitled to apply for a means tested bursary from the NHS for example you would be entitled to funding under the healthcare bursary rule. But from the information I can see (which isn't very clear) this would not be the case.

Thank you for the advice!
Original post by eleanordavies40
Hi I have completed a degree in Biomedical Science and am now going to study optometry as a second degree. Would I be eligible for any type of funding?

Thanks

Hi Eleanordavies40

A second degree in Optometry would not be eligible for standard funding. However you would be eligible to apply for Supplementary grants such as: Disability students allowance, Childcare grants, Adult dependants grant and Parents learning allowance.

Thank you

Quick Reply