The Student Room Group

Is my Email OK for applying for jobs?

I wish to start looking for a part time job and I don't know if my email would be appropriate enough? because people say that having numbers in your email address is unprofessional. And I wonder if having a email like mine would somehow stop me from getting jobs?

[email protected]
Original post by David B
I wish to start looking for a part time job and I don't know if my email would be appropriate enough? because people say that having numbers in your email address is unprofessional. And I wonder if having a email like mine would somehow stop me from getting jobs?

[email protected]

I agree, numbers in the email address does look a little unprofessional.

I'd recommend these:

1) [email protected]
2) [email protected]
3) [email protected]

They look professional tbh.
Reply 2
I'd either assume you were born in 77, or you had to add numbers because yourname.yourname was taken!
I don't think that a couple of digits is that bad.
Reply 3
Original post by Acylation23
I agree, numbers in the email address does look a little unprofessional.

I'd recommend these:

1) [email protected]
2) [email protected]
3) [email protected]

They look professional tbh.

But would having my email address really cost me a job having 2 numbers in it?
Reply 4
Original post by David B

What? Why would it?
Reply 5
Original post by cel93
What? Why would it?

Because it looks unprofessional?
Original post by David B

No not at all, why would it? :s

All I am saying is that, personally, for a job application, I would register my email without numbers (unless your full name is really common).

If you have a chance, register an email without numbers.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by David B
Because it looks unprofessional?

Think you are thinking too much about it. Don't think employers will care about your email (unless there was something inappropriate in it), they will just care about your CV.
(edited 10 years ago)
I've had to put numbers in mine on the basis that I have the second most common surname in the UK and also a fairly common first name!

you could have a.b.surname?
(edited 10 years ago)
I think it's okay to have some numbers as long as it's nothing stupid (like 1010106969696969 would be stupid).

At my university, the email addresses are like initial.surname, but if someone has the same initial and surname, they would use initial.surname1 so if it's fine for a university to do, I don't see why you couldn't do that.
Reply 10
Original post by David B

[email protected]

Potentially...

if firstname.lastname@... is taken then try firstname_lastname@...

and try various webmail services.
Reply 11
You are looking too much into it. Recruiters will expect a personal email address so it is not unprofessional to have a format such as yours.
Original post by David B

[email protected]

77 is fine, it's the rather immature obsession with 69 that marks people out as idiots. Many companies and organisations use numbers within their business emails. It's not using numbers per se that are the problem, it's email addresses that have sexual or inappropriately jokey, teasing etc constructions.
Numbers are fine, it's nicknames and/or inappropriate additions that are the problem. I am a recruiter and have received genuine applications from emails such as xx_Lexie_Babe_87_xx@... (apologies if that is a real email, I just made it up, it's not a real example!) and it does make you wonder if that person knows how to behave professionally. But it's not the '87' that is the problem. An email such as tonyblair87@... wouldn't put me off at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending