The Student Room Group

Denounced for giving chocolate to a homeless person

In one of my seminars as just part of a fun activity it was decided to do a friendly competition to see who could come up with the best story on the topic. I won the competition and received a packet of dairy milk chocolate which the lecturer bought out of her money.

My classmates wanted me to share it with them but I later gave it to a homeless person who I always see outside Tesco asking for change. They later asked me whether I still had the chocolate and I told them that I gave it the homeless man and they denounced me for it telling me they was ashamed of me and they would of never have given it to him.

I'm not sure whether I feel good or bad about it.. I feel like I have let down my classmates and feel like doing so might of also earned the disapproval of my lecturer since she paid for it out of her money as a reward to myself. There is obviously also the possibility that the homeless person could of just been wanting change because he wanted to buy alcohol, at least that is the general perception i gather most people think of homeless people's intentions. Or whether I should feel like I done something good, although I know it wasn't much it probably would of lightened him up a bit as to rather given him a bag of apples or some other food item.

What do you think? :/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think it was a lovely action. Even of he would rather have alcohol I'm sure he appreciated the chocolate, and its probably a much rarer pleasure for him than for your classmates!
Reply 2
Well he probably didn't want it to be honest.
Reply 3
What university do you go to?
Reply 4
Original post by james1211
Well he probably didn't want it to be honest.

Beggars can't be choosers.
Reply 5
Better to give them food than money they could spend on alcohol.
Reply 6
Original post by tehforum

It's a waste giving it to him though. He probably wanted alcohol or heroin.
I think it was a really nice thing to do :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by james1211
It's a waste giving it to him though. He probably wanted alcohol or heroin.

And I want a billion pounds.

But I'm not going to complain if someone gives me stocks.
Why the hell do your friends care so much about a chocolate bar
No, we need more people like you. Good on you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
And I want a billion pounds.

But I'm not going to complain if someone gives me stocks.

I dunno. The police and council where i live constantly tell us not to give anything to them through public service announcements. Maybe i'm brainwashed.
Reply 12
Original post by Captain Haddock
Why the hell do your friends care so much about a chocolate bar

Plot twist: they're beggars.

OP, they're wrong and you overthink things.
You received it as a reward and you got the reward of giving it to a homeless person! How could this remotely be seen as a bad thing? 0_o
Reply 14
Good stuff lad
Original post by Ruffiio
In one of my seminars as just part of a fun activity it was decided to do a friendly competition to see who could come up with the best story on the topic. I won the competition and received a packet of dairy milk chocolate which the lecturer bought out of her money.

My classmates wanted me to share it with them but I later gave it to a homeless person who I always see outside Tesco asking for change. They later asked me whether I still had the chocolate and I told them that I gave it the homeless man and they denounced me for it telling me they was ashamed of me and they would of never have given it to him.

I'm not sure whether I feel good or bad about it.. I feel like I have let down my classmates and feel like doing so might of also earned the disapproval of my lecturer since she paid for it out of her money as a reward to myself. There is obviously also the possibility that the homeless person could of just been wanting change because he wanted to buy alcohol, at least that is the general perception i gather most people think of homeless people's intentions. Or whether I should feel like I done something good, although I know it wasn't much it probably would of lightened him up a bit as to rather given him a bag of apples or some other food item.

i think you did a good deed. It was certainly better than alcohol.
Reply 16
Original post by Ruffiio

To me it seems your classmates are being rather selfish. They seem to care more about some flippin chocolate bar than anything else.

You on the other hand, showed compassion and that is awesome!

They will get over the chocolate bar.. :smile:
Be proud of yourself, you did a really nice thing :smile: Your classmates are just being stupid.
What about his teeth? His diet?
Reply 19

I see what you did there...:smile:

Quick Reply