The Student Room Group

Are these good A levels for a psychology degree?

Hey, I am in year 11 at school and so have picked my AS levels for next year. I have chosen:

Psychology
Biology
English lit
History of art

I want to study Psychology at a good university such as somewhere like UCL or York when I finish my A levels, have I picked the right choices for doing this? (I am mostly referring to Biology and Psychology when I say this)

Also, is English lit really hard? I am very interested in the subject and am quite good at it, but am also daunted by it as it seems to have a hard and heavy workload.

MY main question is, however, about HISTORY OF ART a level. what is it like? Is it hard? does it relate to any other subjects? I picked it because it seemed to be my kind of subject, interesting and unusual, also it is a respected A level, but I am partly mystified to what it consists of, as I have never studied it before.

Any help would be very much appriciated! thanks x
From looking at UCL's website about undergrad psychology (here if you're interested), they ask for at least one if not two from Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Physics and Psychology. So your subjects are fine.

I study both Biology and Psychology and find them to be hard work but certainly enjoyable as we cover some interesting topics. I don't study English Lit but I know people who do and enjoy it. All of your subjects will have a considerable workload so try not to let that put you off too much if you're interested in it. You could always ask your teacher or any year 12/13 students studying it at your school (or even on here) about what it entails.

I don't know anything about History of Art and didn't know it existed until you said you were doing it :tongue: I'd imagine it's basically history with an art focus. I don't believe it's as respected as the other two as it's not a facilitating subject (more on that here, page 14 although the whole thing is informative) but I could be wrong.

An ideal subject combination for a Psychology degree would be Biology, Maths and Psychology with your fourth subject being anything you enjoy. As long as you have Biology and Psychology, which you do, it doesn't particularly matter unless stated by the university. Your best bet is to find out more about the subjects you want to do and look at universities and what subjects they require for a Psychology degree. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by smozsolution
From looking at UCL's website about undergrad psychology (here if you're interested), they ask for at least one if not two from Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Physics and Psychology. So your subjects are fine.

I study both Biology and Psychology and find them to be hard work but certainly enjoyable as we cover some interesting topics. I don't study English Lit but I know people who do and enjoy it. All of your subjects will have a considerable workload so try not to let that put you off too much if you're interested in it. You could always ask your teacher or any year 12/13 students studying it at your school (or even on here) about what it entails.

I don't know anything about History of Art and didn't know it existed until you said you were doing it :tongue: I'd imagine it's basically history with an art focus. I don't believe it's as respected as the other two as it's not a facilitating subject (more on that here, page 14 although the whole thing is informative) but I could be wrong.

An ideal subject combination for a Psychology degree would be Biology, Maths and Psychology with your fourth subject being anything you enjoy. As long as you have Biology and Psychology, which you do, it doesn't particularly matter unless stated by the university. Your best bet is to find out more about the subjects you want to do and look at universities and what subjects they require for a Psychology degree. Good luck :smile:

thank you for all the helpful advice! yeah, I thought I was fine with biology and Psychology, and I would do maths if it came more naturally to me, but unfortunatly although I am fairly good-ish at it (I usually get B's and A's) I wouldnt be able to do it for an A level!
I need to find someone who takes history of art to explain it to me, so if you come across someone on here who does, would you mind pointing me in their direction?
thanks again, your reply was so helpful, almost all the details I needed, thankyooou! :smile:
Original post by Rosie_Brooke
thank you for all the helpful advice! yeah, I thought I was fine with biology and Psychology, and I would do maths if it came more naturally to me, but unfortunatly although I am fairly good-ish at it (I usually get B's and A's) I wouldnt be able to do it for an A level!
I need to find someone who takes history of art to explain it to me, so if you come across someone on here who does, would you mind pointing me in their direction?
thanks again, your reply was so helpful, almost all the details I needed, thankyooou! :smile:

Don't worry about the maths then, I didn't take it for the same reason and am so glad I didn't! Biology and Psychology would be fine.

Have a look at the specification for the subject on AQA here, it'll tell you more about what is expected of you should you take it. I'll keep an eye out for anybody who studies it but if you have a search around on the internet then you should hopefully find some information.

You're welcome, good luck with your final exams this year! :smile:
Reply 4
Don't worry about the maths then, I didn't take it for the same reason and am so glad I didn't! Biology and Psychology would be fine.

Have a look at the specification for the subject on AQA here, it'll tell you more about what is expected of you should you take it. I'll keep an eye out for anybody who studies it but if you have a search around on the internet then you should hopefully find some information.

You're welcome, good luck with your final exams this year! :smile:

:smile::smile: thank you! Im really looking forward to college :biggrin:
:smile::smile: thank you! Im really looking forward to college :biggrin:

I felt the same as you last year haha, I can remember it well. You'll meet great people and people who are still dicks but overall, it's been a good experience so far.

Just put the hard work in from the start and make sure you stay on top of your work. Biology and Psychology are relatively content heavy so make sure you keep reminding yourself of what's involved and keep practicing questions.
I emailed a psychology admissions tutor at UCL when choosing which of my subjects to carry on to A2 and he said the best subjects to take are biology and maths. Could you change history of art to maths? Students with a better subject selection usually get a lower offer (AAA instead of A*AA). I got an offer for psychology at UCL so feel free to ask me any other questions about it.
Reply 7
I felt the same as you last year haha, I can remember it well. You'll meet great people and people who are still dicks but overall, it's been a good experience so far.

Just put the hard work in from the start and make sure you stay on top of your work. Biology and Psychology are relatively content heavy so make sure you keep reminding yourself of what's involved and keep practicing questions.

When Im doing work for the subjects I enjoy, I work a lot better, so hopefully I will work hard for pyschology and biology!
what other subjects do you take?
Reply 8
Original post by x__justmyluck
I emailed a psychology admissions tutor at UCL when choosing which of my subjects to carry on to A2 and he said the best subjects to take are biology and maths. Could you change history of art to maths? Students with a better subject selection usually get a lower offer (AAA instead of A*AA). I got an offer for psychology at UCL so feel free to ask me any other questions about it.

thank you, but I dont think I could get an A in A level maths, I am simply not good enough and definatley dont enjoy it enough!
But I would like to study Psychology at UCL, it looks SO good there :biggrin:
so the offer is A*AA or AAA?! wow, Im going to have to work hard... thanks for the help! :smile: I have a few questions, it would be great to have someone to talk to about it! so thankyou x
thank you, but I dont think I could get an A in A level maths, I am simply not good enough and definatley dont enjoy it enough!
But I would like to study Psychology at UCL, it looks SO good there :biggrin:
so the offer is A*AA or AAA?! wow, Im going to have to work hard... thanks for the help! :smile: I have a few questions, it would be great to have someone to talk to about it! so thankyou x

Fair enough it's better to get A*AA without maths than AAB with maths. Yeah currently the standard offer is A*AA-AAA, but it may change by the time you apply although it's very unlikely to decrease. My offer was AAA and I loved the course but decided I didn't want to move to London (I have a little boy so didn't want to have to live in a rough area/tiny flat with no garden) so didn't put it as my insurance in the end.

Quick Reply

Latest