The Student Room Group

2014 maths revision topics

Hello, so like many of you in the UK I'm in my holidays. I said I would revise but I haven't because I don't know what to revise. So could you guys give me the topics that are going to come up for the exams this year for maths, or whatever everyone learning, just give me topic names. Oh and as I use Mathswatch a lot it would be helpful if you could give me video numbers for the topics. Thanks.
Reply 1
If you are doing higher tier Every D, C and B grade topic on the the Mathswatch CD is almost certain to be tested in the summer exams. Any of the A and A* topics could be tested but there is no way to predict which.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I'm a maths teacher, and I teach GCSE edexcel Mathematics!

Firstly, think about what topics you struggle with? Ask your teacher for your maths book, and read through it, you could even get a maths textbook and revise from there.

look at past papers from your exam board and complete them. Then, look at the mark scheme and see how well you have done?

topics you could revise on are:

- Simple and Compound Interest
- Fraction Basics
- Add/ Subtract/Divide/Multiply Fractions
- Ratios
- Prime Factor Trees
- Surds
- Tree Diagrams
- Conditional Probabilities
- Constructing and Interpreting Pie Charts
- Stem and Leaf Diagrams
- Mean Median Mode
- Cumulative Frequency
- Interquartiles and Box Plots
- Index Notations
- Trial and Improvement
- Simultaneous Equations
- Inequalities
- Expanding Brackets and Factorising
- Nth Term
- Area (formulas will be on formula page)
- Circles
- Pythagoras

I understand this is a lot to revise on, however you may be suprised that students can loose 1 or 2 marks on these sorts of questions for missing small things out. For Example, on Stem and Leaf Diagrams, they are normally 3 marks, and they are really easy marks to get. However, many students get the actually diagram correct (2 marks), but they forget to draw a key, which is the extra mark.

I hope I have helped, look on BBC Bitesize as this has lots of revision tips! Also, if you need any help, go to your class teacher, they will give you as much guidance as possible.

good luck in your exams!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by gdunne42
If you are doing higher tier Every D, C and B grade topic on the the Mathswatch CD is almost certain to be tested in the summer exams. Any of the A and A* topics could be tested but there is no way to predict which.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Best to learn all of them then. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest