The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
superdillon
Blondie22:

I wouldn't have thought that firms really look at the type of school that you went to. But I would have thought if you go to a private school, you are likely to get into a better university and you are also likely to do better in your degree and courses and careers afterwards.

As I understand it, the offers for training contracts are 2:1 degree and AAB or ABB for the top end firms- is it possible then that you applied to firms whose A-level requirements you did not know of and couldn't have met?

It sounds like you might have been quite unlucky considering your curricular and extra-curricular activities are so good and particularly as you have a 2:1 degree.
I would just really apply yourself in the training contract, presumably they like you as you have been selected following an interview. If you do well enough, then you have no worries in your future career.

no i do i agree in away , its probably not always a conscience thing on part of the firms. Eg on the vac scheme at a meal with the partners, they were talking to the private school students about the local private cos their children went there... they have common ground therefore more likely to pick them, no one even bothered to ask what school i went to. thats how i felt

i had good gcses and changed sixth forms because my school didnt have one.. and it was dreadful let me know down so much. my a-levels grades have let me down but also i got on a vac scheme that required abb. everyone has said my alevels look out of place from my gcse grades and uni grades but hardly any firm will give me the time of day.
When I said that you are likely to do better if you go to private school, the only variable that I was considering was teaching standards not student ability. The better the teacher the better the education right?
Reply 22
superdillon
When I said that you are likely to do better if you go to private school, the only variable that I was considering was teaching standards not student ability. The better the teacher the better the education right?

Wrong.

You said "you are also likely to do better in your degree and courses and careers afterwards."

GCSE and A Level education are nothing once a student reaches degree level, and as you mentioned it, professional level.

It is ridiculous to suggest otherwise. A good education up to age 18 is fantastic, (and some people are very lucky) but it is not a magic ticket to anywhere. Just briefly... Teachers aren't everything... Some of my highest grades were entirely self-taught.

As far as careers go, performance at degree level, drive, ambition, personality, work ethic and a trillion other variables will all override the type of school someone attended 10 years previously.

A state school student who has attained a similar, or dare I say it, better academic record to those who went to a private school is not disadvantaged in any way.

Jo.
NO
In my opinion the standard that you achieve during your college years set the standard for your future degree upon which your career is decided.
If you are taught better at an earlier age you can cope better later because of the skills you have developed.
I do not deny that there are people that go to non-private schools that do perform better than those that go to private schools. But i would put this down to the individual's academic flare rather than the teaching standard of his school. The way that this can be supported is that the rest of the people in that non-private school class are less likely to have performed so well than him/her. Whereas, although variably the standard at private schools is consitently higher at everything.

Even during the degree level, non-private school attenders are likely to do well- but not as well as private school attenders and there are statistics that support this.
Also as I pointed out to Blondie22 that the level of her degree is good and her extra-curricular activities are also good, which is why I said that she had been "unlucky". She is obviously a talented indiviudal and so I did have regard to the "trillion" other things that count.

Your highest grades were "self-taught" that is evidence of your individual academic flare which I fully appreciate and commended accordingly in one of my last posts.
Reply 25
superdillon

If you are taught better at an earlier age you can cope better later because of the skills you have developed.

These skills can be developed by anyone, anywhere and at anytime. Maybe you could also entertain the thought that such skills can't be taught and are merely acquired...

superdillon
Whereas, although variably the standard at private schools is consitently higher at everything.

I totally agree. (With the occasional exception of spelling and grammar of course.:smile: :wink: :wink:)

Jo.
And with the exception of Portsmouth, where all schools, states & public alike, are terrible.

(except for the public school for girls, but I couldn't go there, even if I did really want to)
Dreama
Wrong.

You said "you are also likely to do better in your degree and courses and careers afterwards."

GCSE and A Level education are nothing once a student reaches degree level, and as you mentioned it, professional level.

It is ridiculous to suggest otherwise. A good education up to age 18 is fantastic, (and some people are very lucky) but it is not a magic ticket to anywhere. Just briefly... Teachers aren't everything... Some of my highest grades were entirely self-taught.
Jo.

But that's just not true. Law firms are interested in A level and GCSE results and aren't going to suddenly ignore that because someone didn't go to a private school (apart from anything else, it's not always obvious what type of school it is from the name).

Plus you seem to think that education only consists of results. For a start, all the people I know who've been to private schools have so much confidence, which gets people a long way in life. Also, many are more likely to have friends whose parents are lawyers and have got work experience/advice that way. Plus private schools are more likely to have helped with careers advice, including finding suitable work experience at an earlier stage.

So all in all, I'd say private school pupils do have an advantage. Why else would their parents have paid thousands a year? :biggrin:
Reply 28
dragon_1706

Plus you seem to think that education only consists of results. For a start, all the people I know who've been to private schools have so much confidence, which gets people a long way in life. Also, many are more likely to have friends whose parents are lawyers and have got work experience/advice that way. Plus private schools are more likely to have helped with careers advice, including finding suitable work experience at an earlier stage.

So all in all, I'd say private school pupils do have an advantage. Why else would their parents have paid thousands a year? :biggrin:

i agree totally, its the fact the schools care more and help children achieve their best, and they do get better grades in the majority of cases its also the extra stuff. I was never given any career advice at school ect..
Reply 29
dragon_1706
But that's just not true. Law firms are interested in A level and GCSE results and aren't going to suddenly ignore that because someone didn't go to a private school (apart from anything else, it's not always obvious what type of school it is from the name).

Whoah there! I know that firms are interested in results... I was suggesting that once a student reaches such a stage that good results (whether via private or state education) were a given. Sorry for the confusion there... :smile:

dragon_1706

It also takes confidence to get on a crowded school bus at 3pm, full of loud hooligans having a whippy cream fight. I was suggesting confidence can be developed in numerous ways... :smile:

-- I'll agree with you on the contacts and work experience argument. You got me. :smile: Saying that, (quietly) whilst I was at a rather dodgy State school I still managed to shadow a Judge, a barrister, view work by the CPS and probation teams... So it's not all bad...

I've simply reached my own conclusion that this is a level playing field. I know you disagree, and that's fine. :smile: There are just so many discriminatory barriers that people invent and promote in some odd insecurity campaign... It seems to me that we're all fighting the tide in some way or another...

:smile:

Jo. x
Reply 30
Angelic_19
Im going into my final year of a non-law degree. I've heard that non-law graduates are only allowed to do summer vacation schemes after their final year. Would it be better for me to then do a vacation scheme next summer just before i start my conversion course???

To the OP: your grades are fine, so long as your degree subject is decent you should get some interview.

In regards to vac schemes for non-law, remember there are several christmas and easter placements for non-law too, the result of which being that i had my tc confirmed back in feburary rather than having to faff around now with application forms.
rah2
To the OP: your grades are fine, so long as your degree subject is decent you should get some interview.

In regards to vac schemes for non-law, remember there are several christmas and easter placements for non-law too, the result of which being that i had my tc confirmed back in feburary rather than having to faff around now with application forms.

My degree is Geography... but the 47% I got (in an open unit) is really getting me down! Hope it doesn't go against me too much!
wannabesolicitor
My degree is Geography... but the 47% I got (in an open unit) is really getting me down! Hope it doesn't go against me too much!

On your application form for vac scheme/Training contracts, you get to put down your grades for all of the modules that you took.

This should help, as if your 47% was a one off bad exam, then they will be able to see that and not judge you completely by it.
superdillon
On your application form for vac scheme/Training contracts, you get to put down your grades for all of the modules that you took.

This should help, as if your 47% was a one off bad exam, then they will be able to see that and not judge you completely by it.

Ok, cool thanks! I broke up with my bf the night before that exam, so I wasn't really concentrating! Though I should have been more professional! Reckon the 58% is ok?
Seriously they aren't just looking for academics, some firms are exceptionally choosy but I guess it depends who you apply to. If your academic reference predicts you for a 2.1 or more, which is what they ask if its predicted, which OK if you have straight 40s wont wash on them, you should be fine. Seriously dont fret about it but dont just aim for the very cream of firms because odds on they will shoot you down, not because you are bad ... but because they have so many good applicants.
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Seriously they aren't just looking for academics, some firms are exceptionally choosy but I guess it depends who you apply to. If your academic reference predicts you for a 2.1 or more, which is what they ask if its predicted, which OK if you have straight 40s wont wash on them, you should be fine. Seriously dont fret about it but dont just aim for the very cream of firms because odds on they will shoot you down, not because you are bad ... but because they have so many good applicants.

Also bear in mind that when you come to apply for the training contract, you will have the next year grades under your belt and hopefully you will have done good in them. Roll on next year!
Lewis-HuStuJCR

Mmm I know, but I want to work for a City firm ideally (not Magic Circle, but a good firm).
Everyone says that ... and you just have to go for it. Anyway, if you dont do a vac scheme its not game over, you can still get awesome second yr grades and do a vac scheme at the end of third year or just not do one with the best firms and just get experience of the type of work and then apply for TCs to them with your end of degree result. You can do a VP with any firm doing the same TYPE of work and then apply tothem later, but of course apply to them so they dont think that you thought you were below them before but now thanks to a few marks you think you are theirs. Just use your common sense and do what feels right!
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Everyone says that ... and you just have to go for it. Anyway, if you dont do a vac scheme its not game over, you can still get awesome second yr grades and do a vac scheme at the end of third year or just not do one with the best firms and just get experience of the type of work and then apply for TCs to them with your end of degree result. You can do a VP with any firm doing the same TYPE of work and then apply tothem later, but of course apply to them so they dont think that you thought you were below them before but now thanks to a few marks you think you are theirs. Just use your common sense and do what feels right!

I won't be applying for vac schemes til the beginning of my third year anyway (I don't do law), so I'll have my 2nd year grades by then (which will hopefully be better!)
wannabesolicitor
which will hopefully be better!

Thats the spirit.

Latest

Trending

Trending