The Student Room Group

How on earth do people get funding/finances to study postgrad.

Evening forum!

I'm set to start working towards an LLB Law (Undergraduate degree in Law) in October of this year and I know it seems like I am jumping the gun but I seem to be quite inclined to study for a Masters degree in Politics or Social Policy or something, however cost puts me off.

As a student who's going to be in London for the duration of his degree and will more than likely want to stay in London for his postgraduate (seems like I've been in London all my life so far and will do! :tongue: ) , cost seems to be a major worry. Especially given the fact that postgraduate fees (as far as I know??) don't come with any government mandated funding and the fees are quite pricey! EG: c.£11,000 per annum at LSE!

So I ask, how do people manage to fund their postgraduate study let alone get money to survive! Particularly if you are spending all your time studying. Cost is such a big barrier as it isn't as if I have come from a huge pot of money or something :s
Reply 1
Family, funding, saving up, part time etc
Reply 2
Germany
Loans, working, savings etc. Money is not that hard to get if you have the time and a job.

Also, some places in Europe are cheaper or even free. I plan on doing an MA in Sweden in the very near future,
They do postgrad in fields where the research they do is actually useful, so there is funding available
Usually either taking time out to save up, career development loans, or from family money. Funding for postgrad masters level qualifications is like rocking horse ****, irrespective of what course you're studying.
Funding can come from family resources, scholarships, loans, part-time employment or government/foundation grants if you are lucky. For whatever reason you seem to be very intent on staying in London. For someone so concerned about cost and expenses, have you looked at universities in continental Europe? Tuition fees are very affordable and the education system just as excellent.
Reply 7
Original post by Lord Jon
Evening forum!

I'm set to start working towards an LLB Law (Undergraduate degree in Law) in October of this year and I know it seems like I am jumping the gun but I seem to be quite inclined to study for a Masters degree in Politics or Social Policy or something, however cost puts me off.

As a student who's going to be in London for the duration of his degree and will more than likely want to stay in London for his postgraduate (seems like I've been in London all my life so far and will do! :tongue: ) , cost seems to be a major worry. Especially given the fact that postgraduate fees (as far as I know??) don't come with any government mandated funding and the fees are quite pricey! EG: c.£11,000 per annum at LSE!

So I ask, how do people manage to fund their postgraduate study let alone get money to survive! Particularly if you are spending all your time studying. Cost is such a big barrier as it isn't as if I have come from a huge pot of money or something :s

Options=

1) have rich parents
2) inheritance from grandparents
3) part time masters and work
4) take time out before the masters to raise the funds for fees and living costs.
5) personal development loan
Family.

It's difficult for international students to get funding, though I'm sure your country offers some.
Reply 9
I'm British! Lol

Think I might look into Northern Ireland/ Republic of Ireland. Seems cheaper to do postgrad there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Wow clh_hilary response was quite shocking. I guess he didn't know there are black people in the UK. How wonderful!

Good luck with sourcing funding Jon.
(edited 10 years ago)
I took a year out to work for the money, and I still didn't save up enough! My mum's loaning me what I didn't earn. I'm currently working alongside uni to pay for ridiculous travel costs in London (I'm at UCL but live in zone 5 with my parents). To be honest, working and studying together isn't as hard as it sounds as long as you manage your time properly. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Camilla83
Wow clh_hilary response was quite shocking. I guess he didn't know there are black people in the UK. How wonderful!

Good luck with sourcing funding Jon.

wait what?
Reply 13
Do it elsewhere in Europe.

Bare Universities will offer similar courses which are completely free. Like someone said above, i'm planning on doing my masters in Sweden or Denmark after my undergrad. In Sweden, tuition fees are completely free for EU nationals.
I thought universities themselves offered funding? :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by SophiaKeuning
I thought universities themselves offered funding? :frown:

No, sorry. Universities don't have a pot of money to fund Masters students. Even those which control their own Research Council Block Grant now give preference to PhDs and post-docs, although policies vary between universities. Sometimes a uni will give a discount to alumni, which helps. My current uni gives Masters students (and other postgrads) a 20% fee discount if they did their undergrad there and got a First. You can also get a 5% "Early Payment" discount on top of that if you pay your fees in advance.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Klix88
No, sorry. Universities don't have a pot of money to fund Masters students. Even those which control their own Research Council Block Grant now give preference to PhDs and post-docs, although policies vary between universities. Sometimes a uni will give a discount to alumni, which helps. My current uni gives Masters students (and other postgrads) a 20% fee discount if they did their undergrad there and got a First. You can also get a 5% "Early Payment" discount on top of that if you pay your fees in advance.

Ah okay, you're talking about a masters. I was thinking of a Doctorate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending