The Student Room Group

New laptop for prospective Computer Science student?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by simpletech668
Thanks that was very useful! I've read that Ubuntu (I think) comes with its own word processing etc. How good are these options compared to the Office Suite or even the ones provided by Mac because they are actually quite good, especially keynote

Posted from TSR Mobile

Screenshot from 2014-02-23 12-02-01.png
This is what my work looks like on my netbook, in LibreOffice. I haven't installed many fonts though, so that's why it looks a little bit bland.
I've read that but never knew how to do it!! In fact I follow techradar almost religiously!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Booting the OS and loading the desktop are in fact two separate operations in Linux although one is normally linked to the other. You can just boot to the command line then load your desk top of choice from there.
I need to clarify something. Folk in this thread are saying things like "Ubuntu comes with a word processor etc". The thing is any distribution of linux is just that - a distro. It will always include a package manager which may then be used to install / delete other apps. Alternatively apps can be installed off the command line or by downloading them. The point is once your OS is installed you can install anything you like from anywhere at no cost. Even the initial install of say ubuntu will include a huge package of apps for example libre office / whatever. These are not "ubuntu" apps. All ubuntu is is a distro. For newbies you will soon see that the range of apps of every conceivable nature available in Linux is simply stunning. Eg: Photoshop costs a fortune. The GIMP is free in linux and is amazing. Access costs a fortune from MS. Try mysql in linux.
Notepad is a pathetic text editor. Linux has dozens to choose from.
Whatever your interests linux has it with one exception. Some high end (and licensed and paid for) games are Windows only. That is the only limitation.
Original post by Old_Simon
Booting the OS and loading the desktop are in fact two separate operations in Linux although one is normally linked to the other. You can just boot to the command line then load your desk top of choice from there.

Wow, well I think this post just shows how limited Windows is! Thank you for your help, I'll report back when I have tried some

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Old_Simon
Well in general I think comp sci students should have a commitment to open source software rather than commercial bug ridden bloatware provided by hugely profitable conglomerates which not only suck the end user dry, they do so with a second class product and simultaneously facilitate passing al his personal data to the government. That can not be right. If you need me to tell you the benefits of Linux you should not be doing Comp Sci at the tax payers expense.

Linux isn't without its faults either though. It's a tad ridiculous to say EVERY COMPSCI STUDENT SHOULD USE LINUX AND ONLY LINUX. Also, if you think Linux is a security haven then you are deluded.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jameswhughes
Get the MacBook Pro if you can afford it, also if you can wait until you get to university Apple will give you 15% student discount-I don't know whether you can wait that long however.

This will make much more sense than buying a desktop and cheap laptop-from my experience cheap laptops drive you crazy, and a desktop isn't so easy to move around which you'll often need to do as a student.

I'm a maths student too but unless you've got any basis for this this is bad advice. You might be pretty good with computers like myself but it won't be because you're good at maths therefore it's possible you're giving uninformed/misinformed advice.

Yeah, not really true. I have a desktop, I've never really had any issues with its portability. I can't carry it to uni or anything but I still get plenty of use out of it and unis have computer rooms to use while you're there. Most [lecture] notes can be done on paper. Think that probably applies to Computer science students too, I did program design last semester(with the computer science department) and not many people brought laptops that I noticed.
Original post by Spaghetti
Linux isn't without its faults either though. It's a tad ridiculous to say EVERY COMPSCI STUDENT SHOULD USE LINUX AND ONLY LINUX. Also, if you think Linux is a security haven then you are deluded.

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL. Whatever.
Original post by Iqbal007
Other thíng ís the ímportance of a laptop, ít helps duríng study leave where you can barely get a computer

PS: OP could just get a mITX build. I have one and while it's a little difficult to carry that much home over breaks still, I've been carrying a lot of stuff home for 2 and a half years via trains so, I'm used to it.
Original post by mcmillanr
I have a Macbook pro 13', its really good for computer programming because it comes with python preloaded, safari (which I am using at the moment) is good as well (I currently have 12 fairly heavy usage tabs open and no lag/slowness at all). I have boot camped my mac as well and that allows me to plan some basic games like MW3 on the windows side.
Having said all of that, however, PCs are a bit more mass market and I don't know whether some of the applications you will need to use for computer science will be better suited on windows. My friend has a Lenovo and that works quite well for him so it might be worth having a look at that.
Edit: I also use Skype a lot on mac with lots of web tabs open - no problems on Macbook pro, and I am using the last generation (not the newest one).

12 browser tabs? You poor baby(!) I have over 2000 tabs open, probably closer to 2500. I use a windows desktop with 8GB RAM and an i5 2500K(overclocked to 4.1GHz, I believe. And also 2 generations, coming up to 3 generations old I believe and still going strong). Oh and I have a SSD. In fact software can be more restricting than hardware, I had to upgrade to a 64bit browser to handle my tab load recently. I don't use webcams enough to own one so can't comment too much on skype though. Your computer usage is nothing. For a computer science student you seem woefully misinformed.
Original post by alexs2602
PS: OP could just get a mITX build. I have one and while it's a little difficult to carry that much home over breaks still, I've been carrying a lot of stuff home for 2 and a half years via trains so, I'm used to it.

Yes I was thinking of doing a mATX build so slightly bigger but I think I should manage but I think I might settle for a laptop as I want a 29" widescreen monitor which would be good if I didn't have to move things around so much! I might build the computer but keep it at home. I'm not really sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a maths student too but unless you've got any basis for this this is bad advice. You might be pretty good with computers like myself but it won't be because you're good at maths therefore it's possible you're giving uninformed/misinformed advice.

Yeah, not really true. I have a desktop, I've never really had any issues with its portability. I can't carry it to uni or anything but I still get plenty of use out of it and unis have computer rooms to use while you're there. Most [lecture] notes can be done on paper. Think that probably applies to Computer science students too, I did program design last semester(with the computer science department) and not many people brought laptops that I noticed.

Yeah the power of a desktop is unrivalled in portable forms as far as I know but what size monitor do the use? I would like to start a YouTube channel (probably won't happen!) which will need some high end hardware to edit and process so that's why I was looking at a custom build but as far as I know Final Cut Pro has seen some major enhancements which is why I was looking at the MacBooks. But the majority of my time will be dedicated to CompSci work and programming which is why I was looking at alternatives

Posted from TSR Mobile
12 browser tabs? You poor baby(!) I have over 2000 tabs open, probably closer to 2500. I use a windows desktop with 8GB RAM and an i5 2500K(overclocked to 4.1GHz, I believe. And also 2 generations, coming up to 3 generations old I believe and still going strong). Oh and I have a SSD. In fact software can be more restricting than hardware, I had to upgrade to a 64bit browser to handle my tab load recently. I don't use webcams enough to own one so can't comment too much on skype though. Your computer usage is nothing. For a computer science student you seem woefully misinformed.

Why would you ever need 2000?
Original post by sarcasmrules
Screenshot from 2014-02-23 12-02-01.png
This is what my work looks like on my netbook, in LibreOffice. I haven't installed many fonts though, so that's why it looks a little bit bland.

Must say, that looks pretty useable and quite stylish. Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rayquaza17
Why would you ever need 2000?

I can't have more than 6 or so tabs open. Why? Any more and you start to lose of what is where. Even with two monitors, it quickly becomes hectic. 20+ just seems stupid and a waste of computer resources.

Must say, that looks pretty useable and quite stylish. Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem. The desktop environment (the set of programs that draws the desktop and start menu and so on) that I'm using is GNOME 3. It is ready to go on Fedora Linux and Open SUSE; but it can also be installed additionally on all other Linux distributions. Here is a guide to getting it running on Ubuntu.

What could you be doing with 2000 tabs open at once. Like what 2000 different things could you be doing at any one time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sarcasmrules

No problem. The desktop environment (the set of programs that draws the desktop and start menu and so on) that I'm using is GNOME 3. It is ready to go on Fedora Linux and Open SUSE; but it can also be installed additionally on all other Linux distributions. Here is a guide to getting it running on Ubuntu.

Thank you very much I will need to look into running Linux off a USB first and then i'll probably choose my favourite!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also what do you guys think of Chromebooks. I was thinking that if I choose to take a desktop PC to Uni I could just use a chromebook for lectures etc. My PC will be my main setup and I will probably dual boot Mac OSX on it and Linux (after I have chosen my distro)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I so agree. Some of the "comp sci" kids can scarcely do Ctrl Alt Del. Lol
Also what do you guys think of Chromebooks. I was thinking that if I choose to take a desktop PC to Uni I could just use a chromebook for lectures etc. My PC will be my main setup and I will probably dual boot Mac OSX on it and Linux (after I have chosen my distro)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some people in this thread have seriously questioned why you need a laptop in lectures at all. Plus not much point in Mac / Linux dual boot. Mac based on Linux anyway. Linux is best as standalone or alt to Windows.
i do computer science

don't get a mac. the 2-3 people who have macs in my course always complaining because they can't get the software needed for the course

i've programmed on a mac too, it's horrible. seriously, there's a reason why 99% of comp sci students and lecturers have windows. mac so overpriced

can get an £800 windows laptop with better specs than a £1500 mac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending