Heriot-Watt's Ask a Current Student Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Okay, thank you qno2!
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
Reply 201
Is there anybody studying Geography, Society and Environment (MA) ?
Anyone studying engineering? Im an associate student, looking for some extra Mathematics for Engineers and Scientist past papers, if anyone has then and could send me them itd be a great help!
Original post by Cameron Graham
Anyone studying engineering? Im an associate student, looking for some extra Mathematics for Engineers and Scientist past papers, if anyone has then and could send me them itd be a great help!

Hi Cameron,

Apologies for the delay. I am not on the engineering course, I actually work in the Recruitment Service, I have had a chat with my colleague in student support and they will hopefully be able to help you. Can you email Emma on [email protected] and she will get back to you :smile:

Cheers,
Keir
Reply 204
I applied to heriot watt through UCAS about a month ago and I was wondering if you send out acknowledgement emails?
Original post by SB32
I applied to heriot watt through UCAS about a month ago and I was wondering if you send out acknowledgement emails?

Hi SB32,

We haven't sent acknowledgements out yet. If you send me a private message with your UCAS ID I can check for you :smile:.

I am sure that we will have received your application and everything will be fine but if you want to make sure I can certainly check for you. I know that we have started to make offers to our students so you may be receiving an offer fairly soon :crossedf:

Let me know if I can be of any assistance,

Cheers,
Keir
Reply 206
Original post by Heriot-Watt University
Hi SB32,

We haven't sent acknowledgements out yet. If you send me a private message with your UCAS ID I can check for you :smile:.

I am sure that we will have received your application and everything will be fine but if you want to make sure I can certainly check for you. I know that we have started to make offers to our students so you may be receiving an offer fairly soon :crossedf:

Let me know if I can be of any assistance,

Cheers,
Keir

Hi

Thank you so much, I'll message you my UCAS ID now. I really appreciate the help. :smile:
Original post by SB32
Hi

Thank you so much, I'll message you my UCAS ID now. I really appreciate the help. :smile:

Brilliant, messaged you back :smile:

Keir
Hi all. Just wondering if there is anyone staying in the postgrad section of the halls this year that could tell me what they're like in terms of quietness? And would you say the rooms are decently soundproofed?

Not needing like, 100% silence or anything. Just wondering as there were some dorms in my undergrad that were "party halls". Thanks!
How is the Petroelum/Geosciences in HW Malaysia? Do you have good and bad experiences regarding the professionalism of the lecturers? And what about the academic culture in HW?
I have sent my application four weeks ago and i am still waiting for offers. I applied for Biological Science and the only thing that i dont like is Maths. The other universities dont insist on this subject, but i hope Herriot Watt will accept me
Original post by Sabeva Yana
I have sent my application four weeks ago and i am still waiting for offers. I applied for Biological Science and the only thing that i dont like is Maths. The other universities dont insist on this subject, but i hope Herriot Watt will accept me

Hi Sabeva Yana,

We often wait till after the January 15th UCAS application deadline to start making offers, so no need to worry at this stage. Your application will be with the admissions tutor and they will be considering all applications together.

Good luck! And if you have any other questions about the university please feel free to get in touch.
Cheers,
Keir
Thank you, very much! Do u have a portal to log in ?
Thank you, very much! Do u have a portal to log in ?

There is a HWU portal you can log in to but for your offers you should log in to UCAS track.

Here is a link to our portal login... https://hwu.hobsons.co.uk/vip/
Original post by Heriot-Watt University
There is a HWU portal you can log in to but for your offers you should log in to UCAS track.

Here is a link to our portal login... https://hwu.hobsons.co.uk/vip/

Well, I do not have any log in details
Well, I do not have any log in details

You should have been sent details via email if you have applied to us already. Can you private message me your UCAS ID number and I will double check what has went wrong for you.

Cheers,
Keir
Anyone else applying for the British Sign Language interpreting, translating and applied language studies MA Hons??
hey
i was wondering about the grading system works ( school of management and languages )
i was reading the grading documents put up online
however i was wondering if you need to get a grade D and above for the final exam separately as well as a D in the midterm
or is it that the exam results plus the midterm /assignments marks be equal to a D or above , thanks
Original post by qno2
NOTE: To any current students at Heriot-Watt who even have the slightest inkling about helping answering questions on this thread, please either post here or PM me or something else and help any way you can :tongue:

Hello and welcome to Heriot-Watt's new Ask a Current Student thread! This is a place where prospective students and applicants can ask questions to current students at the university. Below, there will be a list of students who have offered to help answer questions on anything to do with the university. I'd also ask if people can ask specific questions about things rather than a generic question like "Is the teaching good?" because the answer you will get will probably be not that helpful as I'd be rather unsure exactly what you are attempting to discover. :tongue: Lastly, I'd like to thank Ecosse_14 for giving me the go ahead for this thread :smile:

Current Students

Name: Qno2
Degree: MPhys Mathematical Physics (Discipline of Physics - School of Engineering and Physical Science)
Year: 4th Year
Halls lived in during 1st year: Leonard Horner - D Block
Educational background: Scottish Highers and Advanced Highers (SQA)
Additional information: I should be able to answer most questions relating to physics and mathematics degrees but I might be able to help with other EPS and MACS courses. I actually started here at Heriot-Watt in 2nd year after doing my 1st year at the University of the West of Scotland studying physics after a disappointing 6th year at high school. I do have friends who started in 1st year so I think I can still answer most of the questions about that.

Name: WeeGuy
Degree: Economics (Department of Economics - School of Management and Languages)
Year: 3rd Year
Additional information: Feel free to ask me anything about HWU.

Name: Rhi93
Degree: MA in Interpreting and Translating - French/German (Department of Languages and Intercultural Studies - School of Management and Languages)
Year: Graduated
Halls lived in during 1st year: Midlothian A ("The Ghetto":wink: - got demolished fairly recently though!!
Additional information: I'm currently on the compulsory third year abroad so feel free to ask me questions about placements, applications etc

Name: Mechie
Degree: Electrical Engineering (Discipline of Electrical Engineering - School of Engineering and Physical Science)
Year: 5th year or Graduated

Name: becciburt
Degree: BSc Psychology (Department of Psychology - School of Life Sciences)
Year: Graduated
Halls lived in during 1st year: I lived off campus in my first year

Name: Sebarau
Degree: Mechanical Engineering (Discipline of Mechanical Engineering - School of Engineering and Physical Science)
Year: 3rd Year
Halls lived in during 1st year: Leonard Horner
Educational Background: A-Levels
Additional Information: Did the general engineering degree (H100) in 1st year. Happy to answer any questions about campus life, things you'll need, a level students looking to apply, opinion of lecturers etc

Name: CalDem
Degree: BSc Information Systems (Department of Computer Science - School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences)
Year: 3rd year
Halls lived in during 1st year: I moved to Edinburgh the year before I started uni, so I lived off-campus.
Educational Background: One Higher, a mix of vocational qualifications, and an HND. (SQA)
Additional Information: I did atrociously in High School do went to college for two years before uni. Last year I was the Class Rep for Information Systems. This year, I am on the board of the Computing Society and I was elected as HW's Delegate to NUS Scotland.
I will be able to answer most questions about CompSci courses, articulation from college, and things to do with societies, representation or the Student Union.

Name: kingdinosaur
Degree: Structural/Civil Engineering (Department of Civil and Structural Engineering - School of Energy, Geoscience, Infrastructure and Society (Formerly School of the Built Environment))
Year: 2nd year
Halls lived in during 1st year: Christina Miller Halls
Additional Information: If anyone has any questions about the course, uni or halls shoot away.

Hi i have a few questions for kingdinosaur

1. How many hours of self study do you do a week?

2. How maths intensive is the course, i mean obviously its engineering so there is maths but how much of your course is taken up by solving equations?

3. Is there alot of practical work too?

4. Can we go in the anachoic chamber?

5. Is there a pdf that shows all the modules of every year? I.e shows what topics you will study each year?

6. What are the differences between the Civil and Structural Engineering courses?

7. How large is the classes?

8. Are there any out of campus trips? Like a construction site

9. Is there alot of chemistry involved?

10. Do you mix with any of the other engineering students?

11. Last question! What does your typical day consist of?

Sorry for the large amount of questions im asking for myself and a group of friends
Reply 219
Hi,

My question is for the international students in HW who are on a Tier 4 visa. I have already appeared for IELTS Academic test on 16 Feb and wish to know if I need to appear for an IELTS for UKVI (Academic) to support my UK visa application. I have an offer for MS Petroleum Engineering from HWU.

Quick Reply

Latest