The Student Room Group

I want to do a Maths based degree.. advice needed

Hi. I originally applied for Pharmacy to start in 2006. Im now thinking about changing this. I prefer maths to my other subjects.

Im thinking of changing because maths leaves my career options open. Im particularly interested in accountancy and also actuarial work.

the problems:
My subjects are Maths, Chemsirty, Psychology

Im very likely yo get these grades (A2) Maths B, Chem B, Psych B (maybe C).

these grades are not v good at all.
I havnt done further maths. If i was to do maths i would spend a 3rd year for retakes and do f.maths. But the problem is that would good Unis accept this?

Also how would predicted grades work? Which universities would be good choices for me?

Any advice at all will be very helpful so please reply
Reply 1
well personally i think BBB (300 points) is pretty good, depending on where you where you want to go. a lot of uni's are not fussed if you don't have further maths, thats basically 1st year uni stuff anyway. also there are some uni's that allow you to combine your interests of accountancy and actuarial work with the maths degree.

http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/RASZc3HQNwwO_B9bteskcBHqVbit1-4my9/HAHTpage/search.HsSearch.submitForm?txtSubject=maths+accountancy&cmbQual=DEG&cmbAttend=FT&cmbInst=&button1.x=27&button1.y=13
maths and accountancy

http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/RASZc3HQNwwO_B9bteskcBHqVbit1-4my9/HAHTpage/search.HsSearch.submitForm?txtSubject=maths+actuarial&cmbQual=DEG&cmbAttend=FT&cmbInst=&button1.x=41&button1.y=19

maths and actuarial work

universities would accept what grades you get this year + retakes and f.maths grade (if you were to take a year out to do them)
Reply 2
Just see what happens on results day, you may suprise yourself and get higher than that. Look through Maths clearing lists (mayeb look at which places are on extra now) and see where you'd be happy to go. BBB should be enough to get you into maths at a fairly reputable uni, even top ones like York only ask for ABB.
Exeter would probably take you, it's a good university reputation wise and it has a very good maths departement. Try to get BBB though (and not BBC). I'm sure many other universities would take you. Why don't you go have a look on www.ucas.com they have all the entry requirements for every course.
Reply 4
yeah, I applied to exeter with an eye to them being my insurance... what do they do, give me AsoddingBsoddingB
Reply 5
ok thanks for the replies so far..

ive seen the entry requirements before.. but what im saying is that will taking a 3rd year doing exams.. (with f.maths) be undesirable for universities. and also this brings the problem of having to join a college who will allow me to do this as i need the whole ucas application thing done with predicted grades. i dnt know if they will let me work at home my self or if they will make me come to classes etc.

another question.. is it better to do mathematics or maths with something e.g. maths and economics.

are any more desirable to employers?

obviously theres a lot of competition to become an actuary.. so i do really want to go to a slightly better then average uni. but this could be asking a lot. i dont mind studying an extra year (a levels) to sort this out.

btw.. reason im changing from pharmacy to maths is that i want my career options open and i generally like doing maths, im not quick and clever at it but i prefer working hard at it... having said that the only thing putting me off is that i seriously screwed up A2.. my AS was about 260.. A2 will be less then 200. thats how bad i messed up.
Reply 6
Would you consider going to a Scottish uni? I'm asking because there is no Scottish further maths qualification and so you wouldn't be disadvantaged by not having it. BCC would get you into Glasgow, which is a great uni and the maths dept is good (although I'm biased, I went there) and there are always places available through clearing. Scottish degrees are four years, but it'd save you doing the A-level retake. Anyway, just a suggestion.
Reply 7
I've applied to Cardiff which is ABB but wud accept ABC. surprisingly neither southampton or cardiff or bristol which are all rly gd unis asked me for further maths (even tho i hav it).
as for doing a joint degree, i dnt think it matas at al to emplyers they jus want u to hav a degree. unless its sumink specific u want to do. by the way southampton does joint maths and actuarial studies or maths and economics
At AS I got E in Maths and B in Psych, A level I got E in Maths and D in Psych. I got offers from all six I applied to and I could have got into Coventry to do Mathematical Sciences. So what, you probably won't get into a top ten uni.

Latest