The Student Room Group

Can I apply for student finance over 6 years?

Hey I'm starting uni at UCB in September, it's a two year foundation course in business and optional language studies. I'm going to be learning French German and Mandarin through my two years but after that I was wondering if I'd be able to apply for a language degree in two of the languages I'll be studying, the language course is 4 years long so would student finance allow me to apply for the foundation and degree level?

The the third year in the language degree is studying abroad for the whole year if that changes anything? Lol
Reply 1
Original post by Paulj375
Hey I'm starting uni at UCB in September, it's a two year foundation course in business and optional language studies. I'm going to be learning French German and Mandarin through my two years but after that I was wondering if I'd be able to apply for a language degree in two of the languages I'll be studying, the language course is 4 years long so would student finance allow me to apply for the foundation and degree level?

The the third year in the language degree is studying abroad for the whole year if that changes anything? Lol

The usual rule is "the length of the course plus one year". However, if you look at this webpage:

http://fd.ucas.com/FoundationDegree/About.aspx

it suggests that you would not do two years Foundation and then four years Honours, but instead go straight into year 3 (even if this is the year abroad). If so, then it looks to me as if you might well get the four years funding required (two for Foundation and and a further two to get the Honours degree), to put you in the same position as someone who went straight into the four year Honours course in year one; and you would also be entitled to another year if you had to retake a year along the way.

I suggest that you check with the Foundation course provider about your options when you finish the course; and check with Student Finance about the funding (see https://www.gov.uk/contact-student-finance-england )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending