The Student Room Group

Do I have any chance of getting into Oxford for medicine?

Hi all,

This may seem like a really weird question, I am just struggling to revise because of it. I am in Year 12. A bit about me:

GCSEs: 12A*
A Levels to be taken: Biology, Chemistry, Maths and German (and General Studies; the school makes us!)
I already have 2A's in AS Critical Thinking and General Studies, and am soon to commence an EPQ (extended project qualification).
This will all add up to make the AQA Baccalaureate.
Work experience/volunteering: 6 months in a nursing home, 3 months in a charity shop, 1 week GP practice, 1 week in a German hospital, 1 week in hospital here, 1 week pharmacy and 3 odd days in clinics/microbiology lab.
I've also helped at school with various things.

HOWEVER
Due to several recent events in my life I've become rather stressed and am struggling to revise like I used to. Also, as I don't take physics, I'm worried that I won't be good enough at the BMAT. (Furthermore I'm not always the most scientifically minded but that's not a big issue as I can make myself be).

Please can I have an HONEST opinion of if I'd stand any hope of getting into Oxford to study medicine? My reasons for wanting to go there are also not just because of reputation; before anyone says that (proximity to family, love of music etc is also a big part).

Thank you so much :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Only on TSR...
Reply 2
If you 'don't do good enough in the BMAT' then, by definition, no you won't have a chance.

If you perform well in the BMAT, yes you'll have a chance.
Seems like you have a good chance, get a BMAT preparation book and build a little time in your revision schedule to do some work for that. You shouldn't worry though most of the medics I know didn't take physics (I even know one who didn't take biology). You'll be fine and have a good a chance as anyone.
Original post by Noble.
If you 'don't do good enough in the BMAT' then, by definition, no you won't have a chance.

If you perform well in the BMAT, yes you'll have a chance.

Thanks for your reply. The issue is I have to submit my application this October and won't do the BMAT until after then, so I won't know....
Well as I'm sure you know selection for interview is based 50% on GCSE and 50% on BMAT.

Your gcse's are insane...so get a good bmat and you'll get an interview!

its a risk cause you won't get the result, but you've got as good a chance as anyone else
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by mangafreak
Thanks for your reply. The issue is I have to submit my application this October and won't do the BMAT until after then, so I won't know....

I know. I was subtly trying to point out the thread is pointless. With 12 A*s at GCSE and every other major aspect of the admissions process ahead of you, what are you expecting people to tell you?
Original post by x__justmyluck
Seems like you have a good chance, get a BMAT preparation book and build a little time in your revision schedule to do some work for that. You shouldn't worry though most of the medics I know didn't take physics (I even know one who didn't take biology). You'll be fine and have a good a chance as anyone.

Thank you! I already have a book, so yeah I'll do that. It's just finding the time along with everything else haha
There's a guy at my school who has an offer from Oxford this year and he didn't do AS physics, so it's perfectly possible to do well enough in the BMAT without it.

With revising, I found it helpful to focus on the end result of getting good grades ie getting into medicine (whether at Oxford or elsewhere) and that helped me to keep going.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending