The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

deciding on stirling

Any comment or advice atall welcome.
Any one who lives in or has visited Stirling or attends the university, what are your views on the place? I am currently making my choice on which university to attend and Have been accepted for stirling the place looks beautiful and although I have lived in the country in a village before and loved it, it was only during the summer around 6 months and I am actually from a city and although I don't enjoy it here in my home city I'm worried somewhere like stirling will get boring within the 4 years I'll be attending? Also what is the weather generally like haha? thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by livehappy
Any comment or advice atall welcome.
Any one who lives in or has visited Stirling or attends the university, what are your views on the place? I am currently making my choice on which university to attend and Have been accepted for stirling the place looks beautiful and although I have lived in the country in a village before and loved it, it was only during the summer around 6 months and I am actually from a city and although I don't enjoy it here in my home city I'm worried somewhere like stirling will get boring within the 4 years I'll be attending? Also what is the weather generally like haha? thanks.

Hi Livehappy,

I usually find that it depends on you as a person, how much you will enjoy Stirling University. I've heard plenty of stories of people loving it and people hating it. So, from my experiences of stories and friends etc, i'll try and give you a better idea of it.

City or Country - Growing up in a city, it's what you are used to. If you are used to going into town at the weekends/weekdays and find it something you enjoy doing, it might not be the best choice. Stirling University is situated in 300 acres of green green land, with Airthrey Loch, in the middle. If you like the small town, out-of-the-way, country feel, then it would probably be perfect University. The beauty of it, for me personally, is that you are around 30 minutes from the two main cities in Scotland - Glasgow and Edinburgh.
There is no doubt it'll feel like a community, where you will feel like you know everyone because everyone is living near the campus and not living in different areas which you'd find with a city Campus.
I live in a small village just on the outskirts of Glasgow, so I'm used to quite peaceful places.

So, basically what I'm getting at is, it depends if you prefer the 'small town' feel or the city feel. That will determine if you will enjoy the area.

Oh, did I mention it's regarded as one of the most beautiful campuses in the world? :cool:

The Degree - When push comes to shove, you have to remember why you are there. The degree. Generally, you'll want to go where you will get the best degree possible. For example, if you were accepted into Oxford Uni to do Psychology and accepted into Stirling for the same degree, you'd probably go to Oxford Uni because you know how good their degree program is. It's maybe worth firing your degree into Google and having a look to see if you can find a rating table showing you the best Universities for your degree.

Independence - By you last sentence, it sounds like you might not be familiar with the area? Maybe not even from Scotland? So, you'll have to consider being away from home for large parts of the year. Personally, living in Glasgow, I know I'm half an hour in the car or on the bus/train and I'm home again, which makes it good because it's close enough to go home when I want/need to but far enough away to have to do things by myself. It's a big step to move out of home and only you can determine if you are ready for it and if you are, how important is distance to home?

As far as the weather goes, it's pretty hit and miss. If we have a good summer, we hit the jackpot. It's shorts and t-shirt and beers on ice. But, you know the weather in UK as a whole can be dreadful at times. What I would say is, never trust the weatherman. You can easily have a day or dry beautiful sunshine, followed up by torrential rainfall. The latter being probably more common :biggrin:. I would say the weather is normally 'fine'. As in overcast and pretty uninteresting.

I'd always encourage you to come up and have a look atthe place if you can. Even if you can get a group of friends on a wee journey from wherever you are. I know there is an applicants day sometime in March. I think it's a Saturday aswell. So if you arent at school/college/work a bus/train/plane up for a day or two just to see the place. If you do choose it, you're going to spend 4 years of your life there, so it's worth the visit before you decide.

I hope that helped :smile:
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending