The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham International Students 2014

Hi everyone! :biggrin:

My name is Sarah and I'm an international student from Hong Kong.

International students might encounter some problems like language barrier, jetlag, scholarships, homesickness, not being able to attend open days...

But it's fine, because we will support and help each other! :jumphug:

So we could discuss everything in this thread, from the reason why you choose to study abroad to your least favourite British food, scholarships for international students to jetlag.

Team Internationals!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Hiya Sarah! (: Well you already know I'm Laura, but it's nice to meet you again :colone: I've been studying in New Zealand for a while, but I'm actually Malaysian so I've encountered quite a few of the problems you mentioned above. So I have family in HK and it's quite normal for people to study abroad, but what made you choose Durham/the other places you applied to? I saw somewhere you liked Bath as well, right? :bath:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by headless-chicken
Hiya Sarah! (: Well you already know I'm Laura, but it's nice to meet you again :colone: I've been studying in New Zealand for a while, but I'm actually Malaysian so I've encountered quite a few of the problems you mentioned above. So I have family in HK and it's quite normal for people to study abroad, but what made you choose Durham/the other places you applied to? I saw somewhere you liked Bath as well, right? :bath:

Hi Laura! :biggrin:

I have been to New Zealand before and it's such a lovely place! :top:

It's a bit embarrassing to admit that, but I originally chose Durham because of league rankings. Durham does pretty well on every league table, and it seems to have great reputation. (although no one seems to know Durham in HK :eek:)

After I applied to the five uni (Bath, Durham, Exeter, Sheffield and Sussex), I had a chance to go to UK and visited some of the cities. When I visited Bath, I instantly fell in love with it, and had been fangirling over Bath for the whole day (I know it sounds weird that someone would fangirl over a city). Because of its amazing reputation for Psychology and the beautiful city, I decided that Bath would be my first choice.

I always like Durham because of its prestige, and I also find the collegiate system appealing to me. But what makes me love Durham is the strong sense of community. I never feel that much support and love in other uni. Almost every Durham student I know love the university, and they are so proud of Durham! This is what makes me start to love Durham.

Even if Bath rejects me, I will happily accept Durham as my firm choice! Who knows, maybe Durham suits me better than Bath?

How about you? What makes you love Durham? :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Well, the collegiate system gave it major bonus points, as well as the fact that part of Harry Potter was filmed there... Mainly though, it was a good school. Although I do agree that no one here has heard of it before. But that's okay! We'll just be at the head of the new Durham trend! :thumbsup:

Have you ever studied outside of HK before? (: Are you nervous to go overseas for uni?
Reply 4
Well, the collegiate system gave it major bonus points, as well as the fact that part of Harry Potter was filmed there... Mainly though, it was a good school. Although I do agree that no one here has heard of it before. But that's okay! We'll just be at the head of the new Durham trend! :thumbsup:

Have you ever studied outside of HK before? (: Are you nervous to go overseas for uni?

I love Harry Potter too!!! High five! :five:

Yes! I'm sure Durham will become famous in Asia later and we will be ahead of everyone :cool:

I have never studied outside of HK, so I'm a little bit nervous, but mostly I'm just very excited! :biggrin:
Hey guys!

I'm an international student as well...I study at an American school in China but I'm not sure whether I'm going to firm Durham yet or not :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by tiffany_wu888
Hey guys!

I'm an international student as well...I study at an American school in China but I'm not sure whether I'm going to firm Durham yet or not :s-smilie:

你好! :biggrin:

It's fine, we could still talk about a lot of different things, like our most hated British food...:tongue:

What uni did you apply? Which do you prepare to firm? :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by devils

It's fine, we could still talk about a lot of different things, like our most hated British food...:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I second that. I love finding out where everyone has applied to! :colone:
Reply 8

Me too :wink:

Do you know if there are scholarships available for international students in Durham? If yes, do you prepare to apply for any of them? :smile:
Original post by devils
Me too :wink:

Do you know if there are scholarships available for international students in Durham? If yes, do you prepare to apply for any of them? :smile:

I have checked, not very thoroughly though. I didn't find any. But if you do, lemme know! :wink: And I'll keep searching as well, of course. It would definitely be great to get some help financially though, the fees are crazy!
Actually i have applied durham as my insurance but the university asked me for further fee status checking.I dont understand why i get this requirement .All my friends who have applied durham got offers without these requirements.
Reply 11
Original post by Sugar Zhuxin
Actually i have applied durham as my insurance but the university asked me for further fee status checking.I dont understand why i get this requirement .All my friends who have applied durham got offers without these requirements.

I wasn't asked about it too...so I think it's a good idea to ask Durham University about it directly. :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I have checked, not very thoroughly though. I didn't find any. But if you do, lemme know! :wink: And I'll keep searching as well, of course. It would definitely be great to get some help financially though, the fees are crazy!

I will definitely want to apply for scholarships too...the fees are insanely high :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe you've been asked for this because you've already made Durham your insurance? As in you've made a decision about them either way on UCAS. I haven't, so maybe that's why I haven't been asked about further fee status checking yet... :tongue: Either way, you can call/email them to find out. Call would be faster, but both would work I'm sure (:
Maybe you've been asked for this because you've already made Durham your insurance? As in you've made a decision about them either way on UCAS. I haven't, so maybe that's why I haven't been asked about further fee status checking yet... :tongue: Either way, you can call/email them to find out. Call would be faster, but both would work I'm sure (:

I didnt put it as insurance on ucas right now.But its an insurance in my mind.
Reply 15
I didnt put it as insurance on ucas right now.But its an insurance in my mind.

What's your firm choice? Just curious :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by devils
I love Harry Potter too!!! High five! :five:

Yes! I'm sure Durham will become famous in Asia later and we will be ahead of everyone :cool:

I have never studied outside of HK, so I'm a little bit nervous, but mostly I'm just very excited! :biggrin:

*looking at avatar* I would have never guessed :rolleyes: Hi by the way :wink: I'm gonna leave now as I'm a home student and am not aloud in here! :ninja:
Original post by devils

Aww you guys are so nice :h:
I applied to KCL, UCL, LSE, Oxford & Durham.

rejected from lse & oxford post-interview, offers from durham & kcl, and now waiting for ucl who just WON'T TELL ME :frown:

I've also applied to some American universities so I've really got to wait for those results to make any decisions...

I really like the feeling of durham but I'm a little concerned about its lack of international reputation. What do you guys think?
Reply 18
I have an offer from Durham, I'm originally from Ireland and have lived in Spain for 10 years. Any other Spanish/Portuguese/Gibraltarians here? Think I will firm Durham as it is my only offer. is anyone concerned about Durham being too small?
Reply 19
Original post by tiffany_wu888
Aww you guys are so nice :h:
I applied to KCL, UCL, LSE, Oxford & Durham.

rejected from lse & oxford post-interview, offers from durham & kcl, and now waiting for ucl who just WON'T TELL ME :frown:

I've also applied to some American universities so I've really got to wait for those results to make any decisions...

I really like the feeling of durham but I'm a little concerned about its lack of international reputation. What do you guys think?

You would find Durham to be the most heartwarming and loving community! :jumphug:

Wow, all 5 uni are really good! :top:
Sorry to hear that you got rejected from Oxford and lse, but Durham and KCL are pretty decent too. Good luck on UCL, let me know if you receive an offer! :biggrin:

As for international reputation, I do admit that Durham is very underrated. But if you prepare to study master degree in UK as well (like me), it would not be a big problem. The amazing domestic reputation of Durham is going to help you to enter the well-known universities with good international reputation. For example, if you have master degree in london uni or even oxbridge, I'm sure the employer will still be impressed and doesn't really care which uni you went before.

So my advice is UCL > Durham > KCL, but actually all if them are pretty amazing so you won't be disadvantaged by going to any of them.

Hope it helps! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending