The Student Room Group

Applying to medicine

Is it necessary to have 4 A levels when applying to medicine? Or is having 3 A Levels sufficient?
3 a levels and one as is all you need.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by QuantumSuicide
3 a levels and one as is all you need.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But with all the competition would I be at a disadvantage if I only had 3 A levels and there are others with 4?
Original post by KelseyL
Is it necessary to have 4 A levels when applying to medicine? Or is having 3 A Levels sufficient?

Not technically necessary, but why give them a reason to reject you?
Original post by KelseyL
But with all the competition would I be at a disadvantage if I only had 3 A levels and there are others with 4?

No, bar applying to Barts where they use UCAS points in the interview and offer giving process. And in certain situations an AAAC including Biology and Chemistry offer may be advantageous to you if you think you may not achieve an A grade in either of those subjects.
Reply 5
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Not technically necessary, but why give them a reason to reject you?

The thing is I want to apply to medicine and I have 4 A grades at AS and I'm currently doing 4 A levels. I really want to drop one of them but I'm not sure if I will be damaging my chances at being accepted. :/
Original post by KelseyL
The thing is I want to apply to medicine and I have 4 A grades at AS and I'm currently doing 4 A levels. I really want to drop one of them but I'm not sure if I will be damaging my chances at being accepted. :/

I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you meant. I assumed you were only doing 3 AS levels. No, 3 A2s is the standard number and there's no reason to do 4. It won't make a difference, whereas only 3 at AS sends a very different message.
Reply 7
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you meant. I assumed you were only doing 3 AS levels. No, 3 A2s is the standard number and there's no reason to do 4. It won't make a difference, whereas only 3 at AS sends a very different message.

Thank you for the advice. I'm really unsure as to what to do! I think I might just stick with the 4th A Level as it's already February and there isn't much time left until the end of the year. I've endured this much I guess another 3/4 months won't hurt?
Original post by KelseyL
Thank you for the advice. I'm really unsure as to what to do! I think I might just stick with the 4th A Level as it's already February and there isn't much time left until the end of the year. I've endured this much I guess another 3/4 months won't hurt?

I certainly wouldn't chuck in the towel at this stage unless you would genuinely use the time you gain to work more effectively on the other three, and in my lengthy experience as a sixth form tutor, I have to say that this very rarely happens.
Reply 9
Original post by KelseyL

Moat universities state having four puts you at no disadvantage however UKCATs are on the rise so it is getting harder to distinguish between good candidates so 2015+ may be a diff story :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending