The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Go and live on Avenue Q.
With English it doesn't matter too much if you haven't plans for afterwards, loads of employers only want a degree because it's a degree anyway.
Angelil
Well, do you have a backup??

It's like a lot of English students who want to be either writers or journalists, then you ask them what they'll do if that doesn't happen and they don't have a sodding clue.

There's no reason why it shouldn't happen, if you're good enough and determined enough. Advertising is just an idea but I know that whatever I end up doing will involve writing - it's all I've ever wanted to do and I don't need a back up!
Reply 23
suga_fly_77
I don't need a back up!

Course you don't, because everyone gets the career they want straight away, don't they? :rolleyes:

It's not just a matter of being good enough and determined enough, it's also a matter of knowing the right people and being in the right place at the right time, and that goes for almost any career, not just advertising.
Angelil
Course you don't, because everyone gets the career they want straight away, don't they? :rolleyes:

It's not just a matter of being good enough and determined enough, it's also a matter of knowing the right people and being in the right place at the right time, and that goes for almost any career, not just advertising.

Yes true, but what I mean is, I'm not prepared to give up easily and settle for a "back-up," or something that I never really wanted to do.
Reply 25
Im in agreement, well said Suga! :p:
Reply 26
I'm not suggesting anyone should settle for a backup in place of their dream career, but a backup should be exactly that - something that you ideally won't have to use, or at the very least something that you won't have to do for very long. Not making contingency plans is like not taking a lifebelt on board a boat because you can swim.
Reply 27
Angelil
I'm not suggesting anyone should settle for a backup in place of their dream career, but a backup should be exactly that - something that you ideally won't have to use, or at the very least something that you won't have to do for very long. Not making contingency plans is like not taking a lifebelt on board a boat because you can swim.

i agree with you. i mean i want to be an author but at least i am going to go and get a degree that i can do something with if things dont work out the way i want to immediately [at least]/ so the notion of following your dream may sound fantastically romantic and bohemic but it won't pay utility bill... it's s h i t i know but it's how the world works
Reply 28
Angelil

Ditto. I can't stand it when people say that you can achieve anything if you try enough and all that...it's just not realistic. Granted, I don't really have a back-up plan as such, but I don't really have anything else I want to do so I'll probably just get a bog standard job of some description - the least heinous one I can find - until I have a clearer idea.
Reply 29
Three words: go with the flow (damn that's 4).

I am a firm believer in the drifting philosophy - if you just stick to what you enjoy without getting caught up in the scary omg-what-on-earth-am-i-going-to-do-on-the-grand-scale-of-things state of mind, then life will lead you right to where you want to be and everything will be fine.
There is no way you can anticipate what that will be right now so there is no point in even thinking about it: just have a blast and enjoy your course at uni, the rest will come naturally when the time comes :smile:
Reply 30
^ I like that. :biggrin:
Reply 31
Novelist.
I've taken to the idea of setting up my own little bookshop. That way I can have a business, make money and spend my life talking about books books book! :biggrin: *daydreams*
Reply 33
i thought the ultimate back up for all english students was to be a teacher :P
Reply 34
gemby!
i thought the ultimate back up for all english students was to be a teacher :P

Yeah and i really don't get it. Why does everyone who discovers that I am taking an English degree immediately assume that I am going to be an English teacher. They don't make that assumption for other subjects like maths and history etc when it's not as if there are thousands of English teaching jobs and only a handful of jobs for teachers of other subjects. Its ridiculous really....... wow apparently this is something that really gets on my nerves :redface:

StarryEyed i like your book shop idea. Maybe i can do that and just spend my days behind the counter selling the occasional books and drawing/painting in others. Genius!
Reply 35
My bookshop's going to have a little cafe attached that sells ice cream sundaes and milkshakes!
Reply 36
i love the idea of a bookshop...would be so relaxing and enjoyable :biggrin:
Reply 37
chel
Yeah and i really don't get it. Why does everyone who discovers that I am taking an English degree immediately assume that I am going to be an English teacher. They don't make that assumption for other subjects like maths and history etc when it's not as if there are thousands of English teaching jobs and only a handful of jobs for teachers of other subjects. Its ridiculous really....... wow apparently this is something that really gets on my nerves :redface:

GAH! Me too. Everyone always says this. Even 12y/o boys! If I had a pound for every time I was asked this then I could pay my tuition fees for at least a year. GRR!
i love the idea of a bookshop...would be so relaxing and enjoyable

StarryEyed i like your book shop idea. Maybe i can do that and just spend my days behind the counter selling the occasional books and drawing/painting in others. Genius!

oohhh we can set up a tsr bookshop! :p:
Reply 39
Can Chel and I bake white chocolate chunk flapjack to sell?

And dress up in period costume and stand around the Jane Austen section?

Latest

Trending

Trending