The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by keromedic
Well as a black person you often have folk around you telling you that you have no chance due to you skin so that can be a bit of a motivational crush

that should be as good a motivation as can be imagined. Stick it to the racist ***** mate.
Original post by Saoirse:3
Many I know feel like they won't fit in. Oxbridge is still dominated by middle-to-upper class white people. There are very few black students. It can be quite an intimidating environment. Combine that with the fact less of them have the top grades and the skills required to get past the interview etc due to the fact they are failed by our education system and you have quite the vicious circle in place.

Yeah, that would contribute a lot to it. Yeah, universities that are mainly white middle class would be really strange, considering i live in South London but that wouldn't stop me from going, if wanted to.
Original post by Chlorophile
They're not discouraged, they're actually encouraged. Universities have big incentives to accept more people from ethnic minority backgrounds. The issue is that the unfortunate fact of the matter is that in Britain, black people tend to be less well off than white people as others have alluded to. And unfortunately, the wealthier you are, the more chances you have in life and in turn the more likely you are to get into a top University.

Huh. I actually never knew this. Really?
Though I have to disagree with one of your points- it's not always about money. For example, I go to a grammar school, which does give me a higher chance of getting into a top uni than somebody from a comp. However, it's free.
Reply 23
Wasn't there an article saying that White people have more of a chance getting into Oxbridge even if they have the same grades as Black or Asian people?
Original post by cambio wechsel
that should be as good a motivation as can be imagined. Stick it to the racist ***** mate.

These people are often well wishing parents and family friends who don't want their children to fail in life.

It's also probably to do with wealth and 'culture'
Original post by suzylemonade
Though I have to disagree with one of your points- it's not always about money. For example, I go to a grammar school, which does give me a higher chance of getting into a top uni than somebody from a comp. However, it's free.

Not sure about incentives but there's often free open days/taster sessions for people of colour and other groups that are seen as disadvantaged.
Original post by MidnightDream
I don't think we're discouraged well I haven't noticed anyway, maybe it's our upbringing and our opinion of ourselves such as 'I wouldn't be good enough for Oxbridge etc'. My parents are very much like yours :smile:

Yeah, upbringing would have A LOT to do with it. My parents want me to do Medicine AND go to OXBRIDGE. Not really my plans, but i will them that soon:biggrin:
Reply 27
Original post by ennahaspatience
I am Nigerian, my parents have always told me to aim for the best universities such as Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial etc. Lately, I have noticed that quite a lot black people do not really aim for the top, even though they have the potential to get there. When I ask what university they want to go to, they usually say Coventry, Greenwich and other Mid-ranking universities, they are not bad universities but they have the potential to go to better universities. I know this attitude must be common because Black people are really under-represented in the top universities. I go to comprehensive, but my school is good. So why guys? Am i the only one who has noticed this?

I do kind of get where you're coming from. At my school, which was also a comprehensive, there was this general line of thinking that the top universities would be saturated with posh white/Asian students. I remember thinking I wouldn't fit in and felt discouraged from applying to these places, and a number of the other black students felt similarly, despite having the potential to get into those top unis. In sixth form my mind-set changed, but I can't say the same for others.
Well as a black person you often have folk around you telling you that you have no chance due to you skin so that can be a bit of a motivational crush

People tell you that?! D:

Original post by genuinelydense
some of the universities listed are dominated by blacks. a lot of black people don't (want to) get on with whites; they pick less prestigious universities in order to stay in their social comfort zones.

But then again, a lot do the opposite. And social comfort zones? I think that's only applicable to black people who live in areas such as London and Birmingham where there are large black communities.
i understand what you're saying... i think sadly in some top universities, a lot of ethnic minorities are under represented - but i do think this is slowly changing i think it really depends mostly on your upbringing, your self confidence and really if you get top grades/are lucky !
i have good friends from Nigeria, central Asia etc that are at Cambridge, UCL and Oxford and worked their asses off to get into great universities so maybe race shouldn't really come into entry ?
there's also so many preconceptions about these top unis in UK, i think it's really sad that so many people from other backgrounds don't believe they can go, fit in or are discouraged :frown:

Most people get into grammar schools after months of intensive tuition. Poorer people can't afford that. Most grammar schools are in more expensive parts of the country. People from better socio-economic backgrounds generally have more motivation to learn and therefore also do better, and also have better support at home. If you come from a household of professionals, you're going to get a lot more help through school than if you come from a household of uneducated workers.

I'm not saying that poorer people have no chances, I'm saying that richer people have it a lot easier.
To be honest if I was smart enough and could make the A* grades then I wouldn't mind going to a top Uni like Cambridge. Imperial or UCL are not particularly hard to get into as you usually only require A*AA or 3 A grades for most courses and I have lot of fellow black friends at UCL at the moment. It's all about hard work and aptitude at the end of the day, so my guess is that your friends who apply to Greenwich or Coventry are lacking in these qualities.
Original post by ennahaspatience
Yeah, upbringing would have A LOT to do with it. My parents want me to do Medicine AND go to OXBRIDGE. Not really my plans, but i will them that soon:biggrin:

Same here. Nigerian parents, eh? :tongue:
Reply 33
I think the culture of Oxbridge and some other higher educational institutions might play a part. Maybe black students feel like they'd be expected to act 'white' in order to fit in?
These people are often well wishing parents and family friends who don't want their children to fail in life.

Ah. My mistake. "Not for the likes of us", rather than "not for the likes of you", then.

Still, you can't win the lottery without buying a ticket. And the large majority of white kids applying to those 'top universities' will have to manage the disappointment of rejection. They seem to survive it more or less undamaged and so will the black kids who get knocked back.
People tell you that?! D:

Yes. Though I have the balance of people being supportive of my decisions but some well-meaning folks have told me that as I'm not white, I shouldn't aim so high and should be more realistic about my goals given that society is decidedly anti-black achievement.
Original post by Kaping
Its not all black people. From what ive seen and heard they expect the ''white'' people are still racist. I dont, my cousin got into cambridge and we are from congo. They just dont work hard enough to get the suitable grades and they should leave the hood life behind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course, it is not all black people. It doesn't apply to myself. I want to go to UCL. Well done to your cousins btw. People in my school, don't really come from the "hood", they are probably just lazy
Original post by genuinelydense
some of the universities listed are dominated by blacks. a lot of black people don't (want to) get on with whites; they pick less prestigious universities in order to stay in their social comfort zones.

This to be honest, although you could be more politically correct.
That, and the Afro-Carribean culture in the United Kingdom seems to be a hindrance towards personal development. Every time I'm on the bus and I hear an argument, a Carribean woman is usually involved. Furthermore, most times I've heard a customer kick off where I work, the customer has been Carribean.
They seem to get wound up by the little things, but the more important issues (lack of education, lack of fathers for their kids) seem to be ignored.

And I was accusing you of being politically incorrect:rolleyes:
Yes. Though I have the balance of people being supportive of my decisions but some well-meaning folks have told me that as I'm not white, I shouldn't aim so high and should be more realistic about my goals given that society is decidedly anti-black achievement.

This,

I have even had that. I wanted to tell the women to piss off but that would be rude
Original post by cambio wechsel
Ah. My mistake. "Not for the likes of us", rather than "not for the likes of you", then.

Still, you can't win the lottery without buying a ticket. And the large majority of white kids applying to those 'top universities' will have to manage the disappointment of rejection. They seem to survive it more or less undamaged and so will the black kids who get knocked back.

Indeed. I myself have been lucky in that I've not experienced any discrimination, as far as I'm aware. I've had racist incidents from ignorant, possibly drunk, people but no one in authority has ever used my race to disadvantage me.

Of course. This is the opinion that's allowing me to apply for Cambridge later this year, if I get the requisite grades but I can appreciate that other black people may not be similarly inclined.

Latest

Trending

Trending