The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ennahaspatience
Yeah, upbringing would have A LOT to do with it. My parents want me to do Medicine AND go to OXBRIDGE. Not really my plans, but i will them that soon:biggrin:

Hahaha, my parents wanted me to do medicine but they came around :smile: only my brother left to fulfil that dream now :biggrin:
They're not discouraged, they just don't have the grades imo. I know very few black people who are intelligent for Oxford ucl etc and some try hard, whilst others don't. Plus the majority of the population are whites...

Original post by genuinelydense
some of the universities listed are dominated by blacks. a lot of black people don't (want to) get on with whites; they pick less prestigious universities in order to stay in their social comfort zones.

This is a joke and so not true.
Reply 42
Original post by TheBBQ
Wasn't there an article saying that White people have more of a chance getting into Oxbridge even if they have the same grades as Black or Asian people?

Probably. It isn't true though. As usual it'll be written by a bunch of idiots taking statistics out of context.
Reply 43
Original post by 9MmBulletz
Every time I'm on the bus and I hear an argument, a Carribean woman is usually involved. Furthermore, most times I've heard a customer kick off where I work, the customer has been Carribean.
They seem to get wound up by the little things, but the more important issues (lack of education, lack of fathers for their kids) seem to be ignored.

And I was accusing you of being politically incorrect:rolleyes:

Generalisations like that don't help anyone tbh
Original post by TheBBQ
Wasn't there an article saying that White people have more of a chance getting into Oxbridge even if they have the same grades as Black or Asian people?

There was, and it was written by someone who either couldn't or didn't want to unpack the data.

Those figures referred to ethnic minority students turned down by (I think it was) Oxford.

First I'm not sure that it makes good sense to aggregate results for black and Asian and East Asian and etc. candidates as if they're all the same because of what they are not, which is only white.

As well it failed to acknowledge, what Oxford pointed out at once, these figures are misleadingly distorted by the fact that so many of these are applying in competition with each other for the same and anyway massively oversubscribed courses. The Indian candidates are all cutting each others throats in applications for medicine, economics, and law while the white kids mop up in biology, french, and classics.
I am Nigerian, my parents have always told me to aim for the best universities such as Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial etc. Lately, I have noticed that quite a lot black people do not really aim for the top, even though they have the potential to get there. When I ask what university they want to go to, they usually say Coventry, Greenwich and other Mid-ranking universities, they are not bad universities but they have the potential to go to better universities. I know this attitude must be common because Black people are really under-represented in the top universities. I go to comprehensive, but my school is good. So why guys? Am i the only one who has noticed this?

Some ethnic minorities are put off going to top institutions because they worry the won't fit in.

Also, some schools don't encourage going to university/going to a good university.
Original post by suzylemonade
People tell you that?! D:

But then again, a lot do the opposite. And social comfort zones? I think that's only applicable to black people who live in areas such as London and Birmingham where there are large black communities.

not really: rightly or wrongly, loads of blacks think that they're hated by the entire white/asian population (probably parents' views)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by barnetlad
Is it that people who are other than from fee paying schools are discouraged, and most people at fee paying schools are white?

Not in all cases, I go to a state school and we're constantly encouraged to apply to the top universities. There's posters of all the top universities around the school, we've all been offered mock interviews for universities with special Oxbridge ones, we get the chance to go to Oxbridge information events with the school, all the people who went to Oxbridge come back to give talks, etc., we have 'uni night' where representatives from the top universities come to give us information (I focused on the Edinburgh one) and we are taken to open days as a group with the school. I know this is pretty specific to Oxbridge, but our teachers always try to encourage us to aim for the top! We even have monthly meetings with guidance teachers where we decided which course and university we want to get into and then we're told what we would have to achieve to do so. Not all state schools discourage people from applying to the top universities.
Original post by Chlorophile
They're not discouraged, they're actually encouraged. Universities have big incentives to accept more people from ethnic minority backgrounds. The issue is that the unfortunate fact of the matter is that in Britain, black people tend to be less well off than white people as others have alluded to. And unfortunately, the wealthier you are, the more chances you have in life and in turn the more likely you are to get into a top University.

When I say discourage, i meant to they discourage themselves. I know universities have great opportunities for ethnic minorities. From my observations, the wealth part is not really a huge factor because the people i spoke to aren't really poor
Of course, it is not all black people. It doesn't apply to myself. I want to go to UCL. Well done to your cousins btw. People in my school, don't really come from the "hood", they are probably just lazy

This is true of course. Though I'd argue that often laziness is a consequence of lack of motivation on the part of parents.

Original post by Noble.
Probably. It isn't true though. As usual it'll be written by a bunch of idiots taking statistics out of context.

Stat manipulation can be a dangerous thing. A simple example would be someone saying that something increased by 200%. It sounds like a lot but when the thing was minuscule to begin with, the % increase is also minimal, in context.
Original post by Miel Purple
They're not discouraged, they just don't have the grades imo. I know very few black people who are intelligent for Oxford ucl etc and some try hard, whilst others don't. Plus the majority of the population are whites...

This is a joke and so not true.

Do you have the grades?
I think why so many people don't have the grades to get in is because they're not encouraged by their parents to work hard. My mother pushed me from a young age and yes, I think I do have the grades. It's not a matter of intelligence, more so of family valuing education.
Original post by Dee Leigh
Some ethnic minorities are put off going to top institutions because they worry the won't fit in.

Also, some schools don't encourage going to university/going to a good university.

Definitely not my school
Reply 52
Original post by Noble.

Hmm, I do wonder though. The article was discussed on here I think.

I do also wonder about the reason that some people are rejected. One of my friends who applied for Physics and scored well on the PAT/MAT as well as the interview, was rejected on the basis that he was not suited for the learning environment :confused:.

Original post by cambio wechsel
There was, and it was written by someone who either couldn't or didn't want to unpack the data.

Those figures referred to ethnic minority students turned down by (I think it was) Oxford.

First I'm not sure that it makes good sense to aggregate results for black and Asian and East Asian and etc. candidates as if they're all the same because of what they are not, which is only white.

As well it failed to acknowledge, what Oxford pointed out at once, these figures are misleadingly distorted by the fact that so many of these are applying in competition with each other for the same and anyway massively oversubscribed courses. The Indian candidates are all cutting each others throats in applications for medicine, economics, and law while the white kids mop up in biology, french, and classics.

Probably. Also that independent schools tend to be mostly white
Original post by Aku-gila
Generalisations like that don't help anyone tbh

I agree with that but at the same time, this is what I'm seeing day-to-day. Saying "afro-carribean culture is disruptive to self-development" is a bit far but I'm not picking one incident here, this is over years. If you ignore the general way things go, how can you address the problems by ignoring the truths?

Yes there are underlying issues, but ignoring them will not help or make them go away. If you see a pattern of behaviour among a group of people, you can't ignore it and accuse those who observe it prejudice.

I'm not saying that they're all like this as I have grown up around many different people and have friends from all over the place, but there is an issue clearly.
Original post by TheBBQ

Link?
Original post by MidnightDream
Hahaha, my parents wanted me to do medicine but they came around :smile: only my brother left to fulfil that dream now :biggrin:

They are trying to get my 8 year old brother to do doctor/lawyer/engineer. Parents sometimes LOL. I know they will accept that i don't want to do medicine when i tell them but older brother doesn't think so
Original post by suzylemonade
Do you have the grades?
I think why so many people don't have the grades to get in is because they're not encouraged by their parents to work hard. My mother pushed me from a young age and yes, I think I do have the grades. It's not a matter of intelligence, more so of family valuing education.

Yes I have the grades.

And yes I agree, my parents also pushed me hard and my siblings in education. It's the most valued thing in my family. But I also know other black people who are pushed by their parents but unfortunately they just don't get the grades!

I was the only 1 of 2 black people in my year group to get AAA+ at A-level...rest were whites and Asian which I'm not surprised
Original post by Dee Leigh
Link?

here's an intelligent discussion of the story with a link to the original article: http://civitas.org.uk/newblog/2013/02/fairness-in-the-oxford-admissions-system/
Reply 58
Meh, it's just one of those things.

Black people are generally poorer than the people who go to the top universities, meaning they have a lower chance of having good education, more likely having to undergo external pressures as well to balance their school work. I'd ask you guys, how many poor white people go to the top universities? Not that many compared to their rich counterparts.

While the colour of your skin has effects after university in the work field, its not so much in uni.

You're not gonna get many cambridge graduates coming from the rough end estates of peckham. Its as simple as that.

Latest