The Student Room Group

Postgrad Speech & Language Therapy 2015 Entry (PG Dip/MSc)

Scroll to see replies

I think we were initially in the same year, but I studied abroad in my third year. Crazy!
Reply 21
Hi everyone,

I'll be applying for 2015 entry too. I've been building up to this application since I started undergraduate (I kind of regret not going for the undergraduate straight away) so it is pretty scary to think I'll be starting the application process soon!

I'm in my 3rd year of undergraduate (French and Linguistics at Lancaster) but currently on a year abroad in France so I'll be applying during my 4th year of studies. Whilst in France I've been super lucky and got to shadow a SLT for a day in a clinic, with both adults and children. Aside from the shadowing I've also been a volunteer at a SEN nursery where I worked with an autistic child with communication difficulties and I've been a support worker at a HeadWay group.
I'm also a trained TESOL teacher and teach English part-time, but do you guys think this counts as relevant experience? I've found there to be quite a lot of relevant theories/techniques in English teaching so hopefully the admissions team think so too!
Slightly more irrelevant, I've got an internship this summer as a research assistant at my university's Linguistics laboratory researching Liverpool stop consonants. Relevant? Worth mentioning on an application?

I thought that only Sheffield allowed applications from current undergrads? It's not very clear on the uni websites :/ I'm basically going to apply to all that I can, but Sheffield is my first choice!

People in the Manchester area: The Uni of Manchester holds a SLT career day around November for future applicants. I went last year (because I'm just too kean) and will go this year too, it's really interesting. Just email the SLT department and they'll put you in touch with the right people.
Reply 22
Original post by eve1293
I'm also a trained TESOL teacher and teach English part-time, but do you guys think this counts as relevant experience? I've found there to be quite a lot of relevant theories/techniques in English teaching so hopefully the admissions team think so too!

This is absolutely relevant experience! I spoke a lot about my own TESOL training in interviews and received positive feedback. The focus of your internship is, in my opinion, not quite as relevant, but I still think it is worth mentioning as it shows you have interest in research. Many programmes love that! (You could also do a little sucking up by adding that you've noticed that such-and-such department has an excellent reputation with regard to research and how it interests you/you think that's so important, hehe.)

Currently both Sheffield and City accept applications from undergrads. That said, the Greenwich programme starts in January (2016 in your case) and the deadline for applications closes at the end of June, meaning that as long as you have your degree classification by then, you could still apply for the next intake. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by Laice
This is absolutely relevant experience! I spoke a lot about my own TESOL training in interviews and received positive feedback. The focus of your internship is, in my opinion, not quite as relevant, but I still think it is worth mentioning as it shows you have interest in research. Many programmes love that! (You could also do a little sucking up by adding that you've noticed that such-and-such department has an excellent reputation with regard to research and how it interests you/you think that's so important, hehe.)

Currently both Sheffield and City accept applications from undergrads. That said, the Greenwich programme starts in January (2016 in your case) and the deadline for applications closes at the end of June, meaning that as long as you have your degree classification by then, you could still apply for the next intake. Good luck! :smile:

Thanks for this ! I didn't really realise it was relevant experience to an extent :-) Completely disregarded this within my previous applications ! X
Reply 24
Original post by smileyx123x
Thanks for this ! I didn't really realise it was relevant experience to an extent :-) Completely disregarded this within my previous applications ! X

No worries! Just make sure you're explicit in how they are connected and don't just state that they are (the interviewers at Essex were especially pushy on this!). For example, I talked about the process of identifying an English learner's weaknesses and making sure that future work with them targeted these areas and compared it to the work an SLT might do with certain clients when you really think about it, it's more similar than it may at first seem! I wouldn't spend more than a sentence or two on it in your personal statement because of the insane word limits though (especially since you seem to have a wealth of other experience that you'll want to talk about!), but I think it earned me Brownie points when I expanded on it at interview :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi everyone

Do you know of anyone that has gone on to do this course from a Primary Education degree?
I don't have QTS, but I do have a lot of experience in primary schools, special schools, nurseries and the like.
I've also studied quite a bit on child development, SEN, and even had lectures from speech therapists.

My other experience includes volunteering at a care home with a dementia unit, being an Au Pair in Spain, and shadowing a SALT for two days.

Also will you all be applying having achieved a first?

I will be getting a 2:1, after having a bad year last year (mostly 2:2s) and a much better year this year (mostly firsts).
I don't want this to affect me too badly as I know I am capable!

Hey I don't know anyone who's gone on to do it from a primary education degree but I know someone who did media studies who got on the course. She had quite a lot of varied experience but just shows you don't have to necessarily have a linguistics or medical degree.

Not too long now before applications open in September...! Where is everyone thinking of applying?

Holly

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think because it is so competitive I am going to apply to all of those universities that offer the course. I have heard stories of people who have had three failed attempts before they made it onto a course, so I think I am going to keep all options open.
Reply 28
Yeah I'm going to apply to the 2 that accept straight-from-undergrad applications and next year I'll apply to everywhere unless a miracle happens and I get onto a course this year, but I'm concentrating on getting as much experience as possible for next year's application when I can apply to everywhere
I am applying to do the course at UCL and City! But I'm a bit freaked out at both of their open days being on the 25th of June! Which one should I go to? I've weighed out pros and cons etc, but still undecided!

I hope I get in for the 2015 intake ugh so stressful! Has anyone started writing their personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Can someone who went to the UCL and/or City open day give a brief summary/idea of what was said? any helpful tips for application? perhaps re: type/level/amount of experience. - that would be fantastic!

Cheers
Reply 31
Hello All,

My name is Aimee, Im a recent 2:1 graduate in English Language and Linguistics and I am hoping to get into Sheffield, Reading or Essex for next years intake.

My main concern at the moment is the cost of living; What do you potential students plan to do for accommodation and affording the cost of rent, on top of food and travel to clinical placements? I've never lived away before. Sheffield is reasonable to live so that is my first choice, but Reading and Essex being close to London centre appears to be a lot more expensive.

Secondly, has anyone applied before for this course unsuccessfully and know what kind of questions you get asked in the interviews?

Thirdly, is anyone going to the open days for Sheffield, Reading and Essex this year?

xxx
Reply 32
A guide from an applicant for 2014's intake that might be useful, includes brief information about the structure of the interviews for the different programmes :smile: (The Student Room doesn't allow anything more detailed to be discussed on here!)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_for_postgraduate_Speech_%26_Language_Therapy_(SLT)_programmes_%E2%80%94_MSc/PGDip
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by aimeen93
Hello All,

My name is Aimee, Im a recent 2:1 graduate in English Language and Linguistics and I am hoping to get into Sheffield, Reading or Essex for next years intake.

My main concern at the moment is the cost of living; What do you potential students plan to do for accommodation and affording the cost of rent, on top of food and travel to clinical placements? I've never lived away before. Sheffield is reasonable to live so that is my first choice, but Reading and Essex being close to London centre appears to be a lot more expensive.

Secondly, has anyone applied before for this course unsuccessfully and know what kind of questions you get asked in the interviews?

Thirdly, is anyone going to the open days for Sheffield, Reading and Essex this year?

xxx

Hi,

Sheffield definitely would be cheaper to live in than those further south, but you would get an NHS bursary and there's always a Career Development Loan to help with living costs. I'm planning on living off the bursary and savings for the first year then bursary and a loan for the second - if I get in, that is! Worth looking into a CDL if you haven't already though. I'd imagine there'd be some financial help from the university if you really couldn't afford to get to your placements.

I'll definitely be going to the Sheffield open day but not sure about the others :smile:
Reply 34
Hey guys,

I was on the waiting list for City and got offered a place to start this year but I've decided to defer so will start the course September 2015. In my experience it seems to be quality over quantity with regards the application. It seems to be how you reflect on your experience and how you show what you have gained from it rather than how much you have.

My experience includes working as an ABA tutor the past 3 years, volunteering for the Stroke Association and working as a SLT assistant in a London clinic- so a lot less than what a lot of people on here seem to have! Due to no interviews for City, there are 4 or 5 questions that they ask you on the application so this is where the 'reflection' can take place! It's a good chance to show what it is you've actually taken away from all the experience you've got. I think instead of simply listing all your experience, you must show what you've taken away. I've said this a lot in this post but it seems to be very important!

Best of luck to you all and hope this has helped in some way.

Louise xx
Reply 35
I've also had an interview at Greenwich and had a few unsuccessful attempts at universities so feel free to ask me anything and I'll do my best to answer your questions :smile:
Original post by LEC555
I've also had an interview at Greenwich and had a few unsuccessful attempts at universities so feel free to ask me anything and I'll do my best to answer your questions :smile:

Thanks so much for the help above!!
Great to know it's more about quality than quantity, which I didn't really take into account early on!
It would be great to know how the interview was at Greenwich? If there were any formal tests or anything? Also did Greenwich offer you a place and was it based in Kent?

Thanks ! :smile: x
Original post by Laice
A guide from an applicant for 2014's intake that might be useful :smile: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_for_Postgrad_SLT

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
No worries :-)

The Greenwich course is based at the Medway Campus down in Kent, that's right.
The interview was split into 4 sections - a written assessment, a group discussion, watching a video and then an individual interview where one of the questions is based on the video you watched. If you get asked to an interview remember to bring a passport photo with you!

Nope, I didn't get in here. I thought the interview process was a good experience and I took away some important things from it. I emailed the university and one of the ladies who interviewed me actually gave me some feedback which was very helpful xx
Reply 39
Nice to meet some other applicants!

I've got a 2:1 in Early Childhood Studies from Anglia Ruskin, I studied modules on Human Development (which had elements of Language Development), Understanding Learning and Special Needs so I'm hoping that will hold me in good stead. I've also had a language delay myself when I was very young so I'm hoping draw upon that in my personal statement.

I'm currently a Beaver Scout Leader which I've been doing for nearly two years - there are children in my group who have a wide variety of special needs including Asperger's and Autism. I've recently applied to do some volunteering for a Stroke Group which is lead by a Speech Therapist. I'm hoping to get some shadowing with a Speech Therapists but not had much luck yet! Also hoping to start my Sign Language Level One course in September providing the cost isn't too expensive so fingers crossed.

Hoping to apply to City, UCL and Essex, though City is my top choice. Would love to see examples for personal statements to give an idea for succesful applications. I feel like I don't have a lot of experience!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending