The Student Room Group

Postgrad Speech & Language Therapy 2015 Entry (PG Dip/MSc)

Hi everyone :smile:,

Thought I would start up this thread for everyone who is applying for the post-grad in speech and lang therapy for 2015 entry ! My first degree is in Psychology, but have been getting experience in lots of settings for a few years now

Look forward to hearing from y'all, and we can use this thread to help with applications, and update each other on what's happening with the entry etc
As it looks so far, I think i'll be applying for Reading, City and UCL, any former students/current students have any tips or from any other unis ?! Would be great to have some help in any way

Xxxxxxx
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Great idea. Even though the application feels so far away now it will soon creep up! I applied to just Reading last year, but for 2015 entry I'll be applying to all the southern ones I can commute to from Reading.

Still trying to get any hospital experience, but it seems very closed off unless you're already qualified.
Reply 2
Original post by AnnieV
Great idea. Even though the application feels so far away now it will soon creep up! I applied to just Reading last year, but for 2015 entry I'll be applying to all the southern ones I can commute to from Reading.

Still trying to get any hospital experience, but it seems very closed off unless you're already qualified.

ahh i know ! :s-smilie: best way is to just get as much varied experience i guess, but with all the competition with every uni i just don't really understand how they pick and choose but i guess we can only reapply and hope for the best :-)
what's your experience like at the moment? X
Reply 3
Original post by smileyx123x
...what's your experience like at the moment?

Pretty good, and I'm pretty confident for next year. I've observed speech therapists with a range of clients, in schools, homes and private clinics. I'm missing any dysphagia experience, and anything within a hospital.

How about yourself, and anyone else about to hop on this thread? What is everyone missing?
Reply 4
sounds like you have lots of experience ! i'm sure you'll be fine in getting a place. what was your degree in?
i've had lots of voluntary experience in early years, charities, with adults with learning disabilities, various centres and am now working as a salt assistant so fingers crossed for next apps :smile:
Reply 5
English Language and Communication. Good luck!
Reply 6
Hello everyone and good luck for your applications for 2015 entry. I just wanted to post a link to something you might all find useful when you apply!

https://soundcloud.com/user648999982/city-university-tips-for-pgdip
This is a link to a recording of a staff member from the PGDip at City University giving a talk to prospective applicants at the University of the West of England in Jan 2013. She talks about what the programme at City is like and goes into detail about what the admissions team look for in applicants. Obviously some of the details might be off as this talk was given over a year ago, but a lot of it should ring true and be pretty helpful, especially considering that they only go by your written application there! (Unfortunately the accompanying Powerpoint isn't available, but it's mostly unneeded anyway.)
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi Everyone.

I saw the threads from people wondering how they can get good experience for SALT courses. I thought I'd post something that might be of interest to some of you who didn't get in this year and need some experience, or are looking for relevant work from now until you start the course.

I have been working as a Carer for a fun guy who has MS. He has complex communication and swallowing needs and regular SALT, Physio, OT interventions. It has been very helpful to have first hand experience of this.

I've just got my first NHS job (I studied physio at Cardiff) so I'm moving on from this great job. There has also been a SALT Masters student and undergrad from UCL working here (both have now got NHS jobs) along with medical students. The person I worked with is looking for new people.... and it would be perfect for any of you guys needing more experience of care/ neuro etc!

I can vouch for them and the job and am very happy to put you in touch!

Good luck all!
Katie
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Hi all!

I'm also applying for the 2015 intake! I am currently working as a TA in early years delivering the SALT programme. I've been doing this since September, and was previously doing 1:1 with a child with delayed development. I'm hoping to apply to UCL and City as I live in North West London - hope I get in!

Need advice on further experience I need/should get! All suggestions are welcomed and highly appreciated!

Thanks!

K
Reply 9
Original post by Kreeepaalee
Hi all!

I'm also applying for the 2015 intake! I am currently working as a TA in early years delivering the SALT programme. I've been doing this since September, and was previously doing 1:1 with a child with delayed development. I'm hoping to apply to UCL and City as I live in North West London - hope I get in!

Need advice on further experience I need/should get! All suggestions are welcomed and highly appreciated!

Thanks!

K

Hey ! your experience sounds great already, I would say whatever experience you think you should be getting to give you as much experience and knowledge really. I think the general consensus for most unis is to get varied experience, but saying that also I think it's best to apply for as many unis - just as a back up ? :-)
Reply 10
Hi, so, I'm looking to apply for the 2015 intake as well. Been doing a lot of reading up on the entry requirements, but it suddenly occurred to me, can you apply while you're still doing your undergrad degree, or do you have to have already completed it? I'm currently in the second year of my degree.

Also, my relevant experience so far consists of a voluntary position as a communication support assistant with the stroke association and work as a reading mentor in a primary school, any advice on what other kinds of experience I should be looking to get under my belt? And be honest, am I just too young to be in with much of a chance? It sounds like most applicants have already been out of uni a couple years.

Thanks in advance, would really appreciate some further insight. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Laice
Hello everyone and good luck for your applications for 2015 entry. I just wanted to post a link to something you might all find useful when you apply!

This is a link to a recording of a staff member from the PGDip at City University giving a talk to prospective applicants at the University of the West of England in Jan 2013. She talks about what the programme at City is like and goes into detail about what the admissions team look for in applicants. Obviously some of the details might be off as this talk was given over a year ago, but a lot of it should ring true and be pretty helpful, especially considering that they only go by your written application there! (Unfortunately the accompanying Powerpoint isn't unavailable, but it's mostly unneeded anyway.)

That was SUPER helpful, thank you! Those place/applicant figures are intimidating though, haha.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Hi guys! My degree is in Linguistics and Phonetics, and I'm just finishing second year. Really hoping to apply to City, Essex, Reading and Greenwich (and also UCL but I couldn't do that without taking a year out I believe).

Relevant experience includes working at Childline, shadowing SLTs at two different hospitals (children and adults), volunteering as an SLT assistant in a school, being a voluntary teaching assistant in a school in an English as a Additional Language class, and also running lunchtime sessions and classes for children with learning difficulties. Hoping to be volunteering at the Royal Free with people with dementia over summer.

Really have no idea about the amount of experience expected of me... any advice on experience/applications etc will be welcomed!
Reply 13
Original post by Copsonator
Hi, so, I'm looking to apply for the 2015 intake as well. Been doing a lot of reading up on the entry requirements, but it suddenly occurred to me, can you apply while you're still doing your undergrad degree, or do you have to have already completed it? I'm currently in the second year of my degree.

Also, my relevant experience so far consists of a voluntary position as a communication support assistant with the stroke association and work as a reading mentor in a primary school, any advice on what other kinds of experience I should be looking to get under my belt? And be honest, am I just too young to be in with much of a chance? It sounds like most applicants have already been out of uni a couple years.

Thanks in advance, would really appreciate some further insight. :smile:

I'm also interested in the answer to this - I know that UCL requires you to already have a degree, but after looking around other websites I haven't been able to find out if that applies to anywhere else. I think City are happy to accept people fresh out of an undergraduate programme though.
Original post by smileyx123x
Hey ! your experience sounds great already, I would say whatever experience you think you should be getting to give you as much experience and knowledge really. I think the general consensus for most unis is to get varied experience, but saying that also I think it's best to apply for as many unis - just as a back up ? :-)

Hey thanks for the reply! I also observe speech and language therapists who come in to work with the children and they also give me tasks to carry out with the children. Someone told me that there will always be new experiences and new things to learn whilst studying and is impossible to cover everything or gain experience in every. SLT area (adults & children, SEN, Stroke, swallowing, etc) - what do you (or anyone else) Think of this??

And I'll apply to reading and one more but do not want to apply too far away. I'm amazed at how fee of them there are! Definitely a need for them!

K
Original post by Laice

This is a link to a recording of a staff member from the PGDip at City University giving a talk to prospective applicants at the University of the West of England in Jan 2013. She talks about what the programme at City is like and goes into detail about what the admissions team look for in applicants. Obviously some of the details might be off as this talk was given over a year ago, but a lot of it should ring true and be pretty helpful, especially considering that they only go by your written application there! (Unfortunately the accompanying Powerpoint isn't unavailable, but it's mostly unneeded anyway.)

Thank you for this - really helpful!
Reply 16
Hi everyone :smile:
I'm also hoping to apply for 2015 entry! Glad there's a thread for it already!

My degree is in psychology and since graduating I have worked as a learning support assistant with young adults with learning disabilities - specifically groups of students with autism, i also worked several months on a project supporting students with learning disabilities on their work placements in a hospital and into paid employment, a family support worker in a children's centre doing 1-1 work with children with global delay and am now working as a family support worker in a statutory children with disabilities team, so working with lots of families and children who have serious communication difficulties. I've also done a bit of travelling and worked in a preschool in Ecuador teaching basic English. So not sure what chance I have on getting in as it sounds like the course is ridiculously competitive which I didn't realise?!!

So I'm seriously lacking in work experience with older groups - can anyone advise on any experience in this area that would be helpful?

Thanks everyone! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Hi all,

So pleased that there's a thread for 2015 entry!
I am just coming to the end of my second year at the University of Hertfordshire studying English Literature and am planning on applying to City, UCL and Reading. I live about 40 minutes (by train) outside of London so will commute.

I 've been working at MENCAP for about 4 years (both as a volunteer and a paid play worker), during the summer holidays with children with learning difficulties. Most of the children I work with are autistic, the majority have some kind of language issues so we use Makaton or PEC cards.

I've also shadowed SEN teaching assistants in a secondary school. That's all the experience I have so far really, I want to find some experience with stroke victims and was hoping to shadow an SLT but not sure how feasible that actually is or where to start.
Hey,

I am in my final year at the University of Hertfordshire, small world.
I have managed to acquire 4 weeks work experience shadowing two SLTs and another 2 weeks work experience in an SEN school over the summer. However, I am struggling finding work experience in various other areas, any advice?

Miss Tenant, I emailed my local speech therapists and two of them agreed to help me. I had to find them on google first, but it was easy enough.
Reply 19
I graduated from UH last October, just to make it a little smaller.

Quick Reply

Latest