The Student Room Group

The good Accounting Unis

Hello
I need your help in this one
Im lost
Im an IB student
Heading for my last year
and i am wanting to do accounting and dive straight into my ACA. Its definite what i want and im sure
some questions
1) what are the good unis for Accounting and for an ACA afterwards
2) the university must be reputable (reasonably not oxford style, because im from far away and a good name in jobs is the thing that gets you around) and in a good city/town.
3) Im international and was woundering, when is the best time to apply for ucas?
4) how likely am i to get an unconditional offer from a typical offer of 33 and a predicted grade of around 35-36?
5) i got 'Highest Honors in Business Management' and 'Highest Honors in Math Studies" not methods unfortunately:frown: how valuable is that to the application is math studies going to degrade me in an accounting application?

THANK YOU THANK YOU ALL FOR READING
I HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME... IM DESPERATE
THAAAAAAANXXX

Regards,
Hashem

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm sure a good degree from one of these universities would be adequate:
http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/index1.html
Reply 2
Thanks Moofie
But to be frank i didnt get anything out of the link
still know nothing about my questions
PLEASE HELP:frown:

Regards
Hashem
Reply 3
Hi, u should also try Bath and Loughborough. These two are newer to the scene but have very good degrees/reputations and both offer placements which will help you in the long run.
Reply 4
Loughborough is 36... too dangerous to hang on to
As for Bath, i hear its a good uni, but i dont like the loation
:P
Thanks everybody... need more info though!

Regards,
Hashem
Reply 5
LSE & Warwick have two very good Accounting and Finance Degrees.
A bit lower down perhaps might be: Nottingham, Durham, Bristol, Manchester, Loughborough and Bath.
Singh_87
LSE & Warwick have two very good Accounting and Finance Degrees.
A bit lower down perhaps might be: Nottingham, Durham, Bristol, Manchester, Loughborough and Bath.

what about CASS?
Reply 7
I would put Bristol amongst the top ones for A&F.

The Bath Accounting course is new and unestablished. Nottingham and Manchester are very reputable. Mixed opinions about Durham/Loughborough in an IB context anyway.
Reply 8
I had an offer from Bristol for A&F and I couldn't believe how bad the open day was for the students who had offers. It was the worst open day i've ever been to, it was so unprofessional. I didn't expect that from a uni like Bristol.
Reply 9
cymro
I had an offer from Bristol for A&F and I couldn't believe how bad the open day was for the students who had offers. It was the worst open day i've ever been to, it was so unprofessional. I didn't expect that from a uni like Bristol.

The thing is im sticking to unis such as
Manchester, LSE, Nottingham
Because they are established and reputable

Im from a foriegn country so what they care about is reputable they dont know Bath, they will laugh thinking its a joke, but when i say manchester or LSE... its different
Newcastle have a strong accounting course but as i said too dangerous to depend so something like Nottingham, Manchester, LSE, Newcastle ... reputable and then good

So any ideas
+ im scared of unis like Bristol Brimingham...etc ... the unknown ones because all my school mates are going to uk but probably not to Bristol or anything so need someplace near the places i said

THANK YOU ALL

Regards
Hashem
looking_fr_SomeOne
what about CASS?

I dont think the Economics and accountancy degree at City is part of Cass:confused:
Reply 11
http://www.cass.city.ac.uk/undergrad/courses/index.html

CASS, like theBrightShadow said, doesnt offer Economics or Accountancy as a degree subject. Those degrees are offered by City University, and so are not taught by lecturers of CASS Business School. Although having said this, some degrees offered by CASS will obviously have elements of Accounting and Economics in them. The link provided shows the courses offered by CASS. But as a whole, I would personally rate CASS Business School extremely high. It's fantastic to see a department of a University which is not so highly regarded doing so well.
Reply 12
Singh_87
http://www.cass.city.ac.uk/undergrad/courses/index.html

CASS, like theBrightShadow said, doesnt offer Economics or Accountancy as a degree subject. Those degrees are offered by City University, and so are not taught by lecturers of CASS Business School. Although having said this, some degrees offered by CASS will obviously have elements of Accounting and Economics in them. The link provided shows the courses offered by CASS. But as a whole, I would personally rate CASS Business School extremely high. It's fantastic to see a department of a University which is not so highly regarded doing so well.

'Economics & Accountancy' is taught jointly by CASS and City. Generally the Economics is taught by City lecturers, and the Accountancy modules are CASS modules. The degree itself is a City degree.
IceTee
'Economics & Accountancy' is taught jointly by CASS and City. Generally the Economics is taught by City lecturers, and the Accountancy modules are CASS modules. The degree itself is a City degree.

:wink:
So if you you study a degree such as Banking (or whatever) which is taught at CASS does it say on your degree CASS or CITY?
Reply 14
City
Reply 15
No, I think it would say both CASS and City.
Just like an Oxford degree mentions the college as well as the uni.
Reply 16
I'd personally look at:

LSE
Warwick
Bristol
Nottingham
Bath
Manchester
Loughborough
Durham
Birmingham
Newcastle

I've also heard York does something along the lines of Accounting and Finance, although you'll have to check that.
i'd say Bristol...but only because I chose as firm. But still Bristol is one of the top runners and its not a bad idea to look into it :smile:
Reply 18
What about aston has a great business school very respected by employers, check it out
Reply 19
Lancaster should be included in Werty675's list...