The Student Room Group

What's your sex and which wrist do you wear your watch on?

Scroll to see replies

I think my mum told me it should go on my left wrist, so that's where I started wearing it and I quite like it.
I can also imagine it being an inconvenience if I wore it on my right, since that's the hand I write with (that's also the main reason I hardly ever wear bracelets)
Reply 21
Male and right. I used to wear it left.
My GF always had it right. When she bought be a new watch for my birthday she said I should try it right. I did. I am glad I switched because I find it much more comfortable then on the left.
Male, left
I change it around all the time :smile:
Reply 24
Male, left.
Reply 25
Female and on the right - because I'm left-handed.
Male, left.
Male, left hand, with face at the top of the wrist.

I hate those people who wear it upside down, and open up their arm to see the face (which is under their wrist)
Reply 28
Original post by qasidb
I was just wondering since I'm male and I'm used to wearing it on my right wrist. Yet I've seen the majority of men wear it on their left. Is it true men are "supposed" to be wearing it on their left? Whereas females are "supposed" to be wearing it on their right?

I'm simply bored and curious to see which genders wear their watches predominantly on which wrist?

was told when i was young it goes to the one opposite to the hand i write with
Reply 29
The reason I wear watches on my left hand is because of a short 'Sardar' story/joke that my mother told me. It is the Indian equivalent of a 'blonde' joke, with Sikhs as the subject rather than a blonde woman. :turban::bhangra:

It went something like this:
Mr. Smith's family had invited their Sikh neighbours for a get-together. It was all going well, everyone was sipping away at their cups of tea. Mr. Smith likes to watch the 7pm news before dinner. "Oh, what's the time," he claimed. Mr. Singh was quick to act, since he was wearing his watch. He flicked his wrist around and yelled out... "OUCH!", as he spilt his tea all over himself.

I'm sure you can see what the moral of the story is. :vroam:

Two interesting posts from yahoo answers:

Most people are right-handed so they wear the watch on the left wrist because the rule is that you wear the watch on the opposite hand from the one that dominates. That is to protect it from getting scratched from frequent activity.

Back in the day when you had to wind the watch to get it to move (keep time) the winding device was located on the right-side of the watch, most people being right-handed would wear the watch on the left are so that one could wind it with there Right-hand. With the advent of battery powered watches it now moot.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 30
I'm male, and I don't wear a watch...because obviously I'm a Time Lord.
Reply 31
male left
As has been said, I think the idea is to wear it on whichever side you don't mainly use; so, if you are right handed, your watch should be on your left wrist, and vice versa.
Left for guys
Right for females

Posted from TSR Mobile
Female.
Right because im right handed.
I wear it on my right.

I used to wear it on my left as I'm right handed, but from sixth form I started wearing it on the right as a joke as a friend who performed really well wore it on her right. Then I got used to it and it feels weird wearing it on the left.

I do have a bracelet on the left anyway.
I have no idea if that is true but I wear it on my right!
Reply 37
If you're left handed then you wear it on your right.
If you're right handed then you wear it on your left.

It should feel better and more natural like that, also it doesn't restrict wrist movement/get in the way/catch your eye when you're writing.
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS

I hate those people who wear it upside down, and open up their arm to see the face (which is under their wrist)

I can honestly say I've never seen a single person do this. Are there a lot of 'those people'?
Reply 39
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
I change it around all the time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest