The Student Room Group

Materials or Chem eng? Imperial or UCL? Dilemma!!

Hi guys,
Basically I have a university choice dilemma, I have recently been offered a place from Imperial to study Materials science and engineering. I also have an offer from UCL for Chemical engineering. These are the 2 unis im mainly considering and I'm finding it difficult to choose. I am just about equally interested in both courses, but leaning slightly towards materials. However i heard job prospects are not as good for materials than chemeng, but i know imperial is a better university for engineering. Id just like to hear some opinions please, especially from materials graduates, what youre doing now etc, id like to make a well informed decision, thanks all ! :smile:
I'd be surprised if job prospects for materials engineering were worse than chemical. At my company, materials engineers are pretty thin on the ground, and as a discipline it is involved with every industry there is. So if it's what you want to do, go for it.
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
I'd be surprised if job prospects for materials engineering were worse than chemical. At my company, materials engineers are pretty thin on the ground, and as a discipline it is involved with every industry there is. So if it's what you want to do, go for it.

Ah thank you, what do you mean pretty thin on the ground? does that mean there are little material engineers in your company, but the demand for them is high?
Original post by noodlemon
Ah thank you, what do you mean pretty thin on the ground? does that mean there are little material engineers in your company, but the demand for them is high?

Yeah, not very many materials engineers about but quite high demand.

Quick Reply

Latest