The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Accomodation

I have recently applied for my course (Electronic and Communication Engineering with a year in foundation) at the University of Kent Canterbury campus.
However im unsure on what to do on some things.

Frist of all, im not the richest of students, yes I could commute to the university every day but I want at least one year on campus. Which would be the better year to stay on campus though? the foundation year or the first year. For one of these years I will be staying at home, however If I stay on the foundation year I will have little money going into year 1. where as if I stay at home foundation year I will have more money going into year 1 but lost that fist chance to make good new friends in my course. Any ideas?

Also another question is that which is the best accommodation on site for the price. so the cheapest price but the best result. I can clean, cook and im very independent but Im not sure which is the best. Kaynes is quiet nice but also expensive. Is Elliot or parkwood worth it? these are all thing m not sure on. I could go into a house of 5 people straight away but how do I know they will be alright, I don't. any queries on this?

Thanks for anyone's support or comments they want to give. previous experiences at the university will be greatly appreciated.
Hi Alexz.F

My name is David and I work at the University now, although I was a student at Kent for 4 years as well. Accommodation is always a worry for prospective students.

Firstly, your worry about making friends on your course should not be a problem. Even if you live at home, friends from courses tend to be just that, friends from courses, who you will meet whether or not you live on campus or off (although it is worth having the capacity to leave campus late just in case!). Most people find that their main group of friends either comes from where they live or a society or club. So it doesn't really matter about living on or off campus so long as your travel arrangements are flexible.

ople who live on campus at 18-19 and this should play more of a part than what academic year you are in. However, I had a gap year and was 19 when I moved in and got on fine.

The best options for cheap self catering are Parkwood houses or Darwin Houses or College. It depends what you want from your accommodation. Parkwood is quite exciting with parties and gatherings quite often, but is a little way off central campus. If you like that sort of thing Parkwood is bliss and lots of people love it! Darwin Houses and College are a bit quiter (but not dead). There is more of a bar culture there and people spend more time in Orgins (the college bar) than in each other's accommodation. I understand your concerns about not knowing your housemates but do remember that everyone is in the same boat and people tend to be understanding. Do come along to one of our open days if you want to see accommodation or have a look at our virtual tour: https://www.kent.ac.uk/accommodation/virtualtour/

Hope this helps, do get in touch if you have any other questions.

David.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending