The Student Room Group

GCSE grades?

Hey, sorry if this is the wrong forum in which to post this!

i plan on applying for Law after I finish my AS levels, my first choice would be Manchester, although I'd be very happy indeed with getting into somewhere like Leicester.

My problem is that my GCSE grades are really poor (AAAAAABBBCC, and those Cs are Maths and Physics :mad:). This really doesn't reflect my abilities, which I think is pretty obvious by my predicted AAAa at AS Level, but nevertheless I'm frightfully aware that Universities depend upon GCSEs to distinguish between candidates. I feel that I'll have a strong overall application as I have a good extra curricular history and I read a lot of Law related non-fiction philosophical literature, apart from possibly that 2 of my AS Levels are Philosophy and Sociology, of course weak subjects.

So do you to that I have any chance at all of successful entry? I'm fairly confident that I could swing an interview, but I'm frightened that I may be written off immediately due to my poor GCSE grades.

Reply 1
You'll be fine. AS results are WAY more important, and your GCSEs aren't bad at all anyway! Also make sure you have a good personal statement, wider reading etc as this will put you in a stronger position. Don't be put off by the grades on this site, it's extremely distorted! :P
Hi! I doubt you will.

My GCSEs were frightful (A*AABBBCDDFU) compared to yours, and whilst I decided to not go to a Russell Group uni in the end as I found myself happier elsewhere, I had applied for the University of East Anglia (unsure if a RG or not), who want ABB at A-Level, and still got an offer regardless! I think it's more your personal statement that swings it, actually. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending