The Student Room Group

Revision for GCSE

Hey guys,
I'm doing triple science, I'm going to be doing it this year, I was wondering if anyone could help me on how to revise and ways to revise. We've just started the ISAS so we haven't covered much content from the extension part. (I'm currently graded as an A in all three of the sciences from the mock if this helps)

Any help on the specific topics and knowledge I should know would be highly appreciated.

As well as that, could you please recommend some books (Any subject I'm studying)I should buy in order to help me (Revision guides and work books), ones that YOU have used and has helped you.

I'm studying: History, Triple Science, Drama and Business Studies

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
CGP books are pretty good. I have science, maths and a physics one as i want to get an A*. They have a good layout of information with different colours rather than boring blocks of text.

I would suggest going to your exam boards websites and doing past papers to test your knowledge.
Reply 2
Bump.
Hey, what exam board are you doing for triple science? I do AQA and I have found the aqa revision guides published by nelson thornes really helpful. If you would like the ISBN for them, just let me know. The cgp ones are good but I've heard that they don't get you to an a* standard.

As for the isas, you want to brush up on your 'how science works' skills. You'll need to know specific terminology (is that the right word?) such as repeatability, reproducibility etc. which I think somewhere on the aqa website there's a PDF document with all this vocab stuff. You also need to be good with drawing graphs. Don't forget, a lot is to do with technique so if you can, get hold of some past isa papers and work through the questions and look at the mark scheme to see where you have lost marks and how you can improve your answer.

For revision, you want to aim to do 'active' revision e.g. I make flashcards on each topic going through the specification. There great cos you can reuse them and keep testing yourself whereas posters and mindmaps I find are less useful because you make them once and just look over them later. However, mindmaps are helpful for history revision to see how event interlink and all that.

I hope I've helped and just ask if you'd like anymore info! I'm in year 11 so gcses are coming soon, I've been through that so I feel you haha

Good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by charlottejyp
Hey, what exam board are you doing for triple science? I do AQA and I have found the aqa revision guides published by nelson thornes really helpful. If you would like the ISBN for them, just let me know. The cgp ones are good but I've heard that they don't get you to an a* standard.

As for the isas, you want to brush up on your 'how science works' skills. You'll need to know specific terminology (is that the right word?) such as repeatability, reproducibility etc. which I think somewhere on the aqa website there's a PDF document with all this vocab stuff. You also need to be good with drawing graphs. Don't forget, a lot is to do with technique so if you can, get hold of some past isa papers and work through the questions and look at the mark scheme to see where you have lost marks and how you can improve your answer.

For revision, you want to aim to do 'active' revision e.g. I make flashcards on each topic going through the specification. There great cos you can reuse them and keep testing yourself whereas posters and mindmaps I find are less useful because you make them once and just look over them later. However, mindmaps are helpful for history revision to see how event interlink and all that.

I hope I've helped and just ask if you'd like anymore info! I'm in year 11 so gcses are coming soon, I've been through that so I feel you haha

Good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey there,
I'm doing the AQA one, an ISBN for the books would be great thanks! Another thing I'd like help is with the topics I'd need to revise, for mainly the sciences, I realize it is quite tedious to find them all. However, if you can't, don't worry about it! The reference to books would be more than enough help.

Thank you very much for your help:biggrin:
Original post by corpeal
Hey there,
I'm doing the AQA one, an ISBN for the books would be great thanks! Another thing I'd like help is with the topics I'd need to revise, for mainly the sciences, I realize it is quite tedious to find them all. However, if you can't, don't worry about it! The reference to books would be more than enough help.

Thank you very much for your help:biggrin:

So the ISBNs-
Biology: 978-1-4085-0828-2
Chemistry: 978-1-4085-0831-2
Physics: 978-1-4085-0834-3

They're really helpful as they're by aqa so the follow the specification exactly so it will have everything you need in.

The aqa website has PDF documents of all the specifications which you can print off. They tell you all the topics you need to cover for the sciences so you should be cool with that.

And no problem, I'm glad I could help :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
heyy,
for revision i just read the revision guide and my notes then make more notes on them e.g. write it out again, mind maps, post it notes everywhere etc
I'm doing teh schools history project and i bought my own history revision book which was a purple CGP book which is quite good but i was also given one from school which is an OCR specific book which isn't as good but i guess it depends on the exam board and which course you are doing :smile:

Hope this helps x

Quick Reply

Latest