The Student Room Group

Nitrogen cycle notes exclusive

These are some notes for people who might struggle with what the nitrogen cycle is or people who want to supplement their notes.

The nitrogen cycle

1. Nitrogen is usually taken in by plants in the form of nitrate ions (NO3-). This is a soluble ion which is formed by the action of microbes acting on nitrogen containing compounds.
2. Plants combine nitrates with carbohydrates formed during photosynthesis in order to produce nucleotides and amino acids. These are the building blocks for making nucleic acids and proteins.
3. The nitrogen is passed along the cycle as animals eat plants.
4. Eventually all your nitrogen ends up in non-living organic material. e.g. faecas, dead leaves etc
5. The nitrogen rich dead matter is broken down by saphrophytes via the process of extra cellular digestion. The saphrophytes release enzymes externally and the food surrounding them is broken down before they digest the solube products.
6. This process causes the formation of ammonium compounds (NH4+)
7. The last stage of saphrophtic decay where ammonium compounds are formed from amino acids or other ammonium compounds is called ammonification
8. The ammonium compounds are used by nitrifying bacteria. . These bacteria are examples of chemoautrophs. This basically means they absorb their energy from oxidation reactions and NOT the sun.
9. In this instance the bacteria absorb their energy from the oxidaton of ammonium ions. This is called nitrification.
Reply 1
Nitrifcation

This is a two stage process.

1. The ammonium ions are converted into nitrite ions.
2. The nitrite ions are then converted into nitrate ions.
3. Then the cycle can restart as you have soluble nitrate ions.

Thats all there is to it although ive yet to mention dentrification and nitrogen fixation. If people like what I've done so far I will post the rest. cheerio:biggrin:
LoL you don't have to sit module 5 until summer next year :|
Reply 3
hey stratormaster, did u like the notes or not?. im just getting a bit ahead with my extra reading. Btw, what happened to all ur gems im sure u had loads.
Yeah they're good notes, nice job. If you wanna get ahead with any of the modules I suggest its module 4 :wink:

I've only ever had 2 green gems at most tho :frown:
Reply 5
Hey, thanks.

Latest

Trending

Trending