The Student Room Group

Security Engineering

I've always been pretty interested in both physical (buildings, in particular) and information (computer) security but am not really sure what I could study at Uni to complement my interests.

As a kid, my dad bought me a Chinese puzzle box and I loved how clever it was so then went on to make my own alarm circuit for my bedroom door and other dorky stuff like that!

More recently, I have started to learn to programme with Python (very basic stuff so far) so am hoping that I'll be able to experiment with more sophisticated stuff and perhaps create a programme that I can use with my alarm system like a combination lock!

I'm guessing that engineering is the discipline I want to go in to but I don't know which field makes most sense. In the future, I'd love to implement security systems for new buildings etc or even come up with my own system designs.

Any help would be awesome!
Reply 1
Original post by sourcream.onion
I've always been pretty interested in both physical (buildings, in particular) and information (computer) security but am not really sure what I could study at Uni to complement my interests.

As a kid, my dad bought me a Chinese puzzle box and I loved how clever it was so then went on to make my own alarm circuit for my bedroom door and other dorky stuff like that!

More recently, I have started to learn to programme with Python (very basic stuff so far) so am hoping that I'll be able to experiment with more sophisticated stuff and perhaps create a programme that I can use with my alarm system like a combination lock!

I'm guessing that engineering is the discipline I want to go in to but I don't know which field makes most sense. In the future, I'd love to implement security systems for new buildings etc or even come up with my own system designs.

Any help would be awesome!

Electrical & Electronic Engineering, that is exactly what it deals with (circuits, information processing, logic gates etc.)

The only thing you should ask yourself before pursuing any type of engineering is, do you like Maths & Physics?
I'd like to give this a bump, given that my tutor asked for an idea of what courses I'll want to apply for in September soon
Original post by a10
Electrical & Electronic Engineering, that is exactly what it deals with (circuits, information processing, logic gates etc.)

The only thing you should ask yourself before pursuing any type of engineering is, do you like Maths & Physics?

You ninja!

I love physics and maths. I'm studying double maths and physics A Levels at the moment! :bigsmile:
The only problem with just Electrical engineering is I wouldn't be able to explore physical security (for instance, how to structure a building to stop penetration) or how to protect data (computer security/cryptography etc) which are both also really interesting.

The reason I gave the example of circuits is because that's what I've been able to do at home with the resources I have :redface:

Electrical engineering sounds fun, though... I love playing with redstone on Minecraft :lol:

Cheers!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by sourcream.onion
You ninja!

The only problem with just Electrical engineering is I wouldn't be able to explore physical security (for instance, how to structure a building to stop penetration) or how to protect data which are both also really interesting.

Electrical engineering sounds fun, though... I love playing with redstone on Minecraft :lol:

Cheers!

There's quite a bit of programming in that degree and it also encompasses a range of fields, from power generation to stuff like cyber networks/communication. If you specifically want to deal with communication/electronics/information processing I would say Electronic Engineering/Computer Engineering is your best bet.
Original post by a10
There's quite a bit of programming in that degree and it also encompasses a range of fields, from power generation to stuff like cyber networks/communication. If you specifically want to deal with communication/electronics/information processing I would say Electronic Engineering/Computer Engineering is your best bet.

That sounds good. Maybe I should look at broad-based engineering courses and try to see what appeals most.

Thanks again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest